“Great B& B in Chester!!”
Review of Cheltenham Lodge

Cheltenham Lodge
Ranked #24 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Walla Walla, Washington
“Great B& B in Chester!!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We were welcomed by Ann and made to feel at home right away. Our room was clean and bright and breakfast was delicious. It is a great location to walk into town. We were even able to walk to the railroad station and take the train to Liverpool for the day. David gave us good directions and lots of ideas of places to visit. Thank you Ann and David for being such wonderful hosts!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Me and a group of friends stayed here over the weekend and could not of been happier. Firstly David and Ann (the owners) allowed us to check into all of our rooms (apart from one - which was ready within about 10 minutes of us arriving) early, at 11am as we were heading to the Grand National at Aintree - provided with a number of a taxi firm and were at the train station within 5 minutes (£3.50). The breakfast we had both mornings were superb - I had both the continental breakfast (which I did not want to eat as it was presented so well) and a full english which was tailored to my request. The B&B itself is very well presented, all the rooms we stayed in were of high standard, equipped with TVs, hairdryers, towels and tea/coffee making facilities. Conveniently located as mentioned for the train station, getting out of Chester (as its located on Hoole Road) and into the city centre - only around about a 10minute walk. David and Ann were extremely welcoming and friendly which just made the stay even better.
Would recommend this B&B and will be returning next time we are in Chester.

Room Tip: The double at the front of the B&B is particularly spacious.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I just left the Cheltenham Lodge after a five day stay with my mother. We stayed in room 4, a twin. It was large, comfortable, quiet and charming. The staff cleaned it very thoroughly. The breakfast was excellent and presented very tastefully. David and Ann were both extremely friendly and helpful. David in particular was full of useful advice which helped my academic business very materially. He really couldn't have been more willing. I particularly appreciated how kind he was to my elderly mother. Cheltenham Lodge is excellent value for money and highly recommended. I would happily stay again. Americans would find it delightful.

Room Tip: Room 4 was very nice. I would recommend it to anyone.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen C
Spain
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I booked a room in this Bed & Breakfast on Hoole Road for just one night after a recent visit to the Wirral area. Chester is a great place to visit; I had the good luck to be born in the county and this was a visit for family reasons. The B&B is of the period house (Victorian or Edwardian variety) and it's conveniently located for the railway station and city centre and to the north of Chester city centre. It's in the suburb of Hoole, and near the suburbs of Newton and Boughton (with no 'r' - NOT Broughton, which is a diffrent suburb to the south of Chester city).

The B&B is situated on the left hand side of Hoole Road travelling out of the city between the inner and outer ring roads. There is an area about five minutes walk to the south with a couple of pubs, a Chinese takeaway/chippy, and convenience stores - the area having a distinctive "student" feel to it.

In general I was very pleased with the welcome and stay. On this particular journey I was travelling alone and so booked the single room offered, which was quite small and with a very 'compact' bathroom, but this was reflected in the reasonableness of the price including breakfast. Breakfast itself was very good and the dining room had a pleasant, almost plush "classic B&B" feel to it, typical of many of its type in central and southern England.

The room was ground floor and faced towards the back yard of the property and so was quite quiet at night, except for a number of mosquitoes which had managed to previously either hide themselves or to gain access, and made their ominous dive-bomb high pitched distinctive whistling noise in my ear at around 5a.m. I later noted some evidence on the wallpaper of the room's previous occupants having swatted these little pests. The following morning I mentioned this to the owners, after thanking them for an otherwise nice stay.. Apparently (I was told), the mosquitoes were something of a 'plague' in the area at the time. If this is so then the observation is not necessarily a reflection on the particular B&B. Nonetheless, perhaps a spray of insecticide and removing 'swatted' remains from wallpaper and/or surfaces on room-change /cleaning wouldn't go amiss.

Checkout was about ten o'clock, but the owners kindly agreed to look after my suitcase until I returned shortly after midday. Thanks again.

Room Tip: If I had to travel alone again, as per this trip, I would opt for a double room for single occupancy...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank veomar
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for your review. I would just like to take this opportunity to point out/clarify to readers a few points.

Firstly in my opinion I strongly disagree that the Hoole area is portraying a student area, in fact the area of Hoole is set in a leafy suburb of Chester, in a conservation area therefore retaining its historic nature.

Secondly the point of the mosquitoes, in England we have endured one of the wettest summers in recent history making it almost like a tropical climate an ideal combination for the mosquitoes and other insects to thrive. Whilst we did our best to control the situation we like others found it an endless task.

Thirdly I would like to address the comment of your room tip i.e. opt for a double room at single occupancy, this option was available to yourself and any future guests (but as you where only stopping the one night you booked the single room which offers great value as you clearly pointed out).

Readers should you require more information into the ways of booking rooms to suit your stay please contact me direct by telephone and I would be more than happy to talk you through the various options available to you. Or see our new website that offers you free secure online booking and is packed with information about Chester and the surrounding areas.

Once again thank you for you review we look forward to welcome you back to the Cheltenham Lodge and the beautiful city of Chester.

Kind regards

David
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We (my partner, 3 month old daugher and I) stayed here over the weekend. We were greeted with a smile and shown to our lovely big room which was very clean and comfortable. Our host was very accomodating to our needs and the breakfast in the morning was lovely offering a great range of cooked food, cereal and toast served with a laugh and smile.

All in all a great stay.

Room Tip: Our family room was a great size
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Paulgir
Manchester
Reviewed 16 September 2012

After less than a day, we were calling Cheltenham Lodge 'home'. From the moment we walked in, we felt very welcomed and relaxed. CL has a very clean, comfortable and warm feel and, not only will we be returning, we would happily recommend it to others.

The premier room is spacious and cosy at the same time, with a large bed and comfortable couch and armchair. The en suite bathroom is light, large and very clean.

There is a large variety of breakfasts available, all of which were delicious and cooked to your preference, as well as being served quickly.

The Lodge is located a short from Chester city centre and the train station, but there are bus stops close by and the staff are happy to call a cab for you. A few minutes down the road are a number of shops, bars and restaurants, many of which are recommended in an extensive information pack in the room.

Finally, we would very much like to thank Ann and David for their gracious hospitality, excellent service and warm, friendly atmosphere they provided at Cheltenham Lodge. At no point did we feel pressured or rushed and we look forward to staying with you again.

Many, many thanks
Gareth & Rachael

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hazardous1
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed for 3 nights when visiting Chester and surrounding area.The Lodge is on one of the main roads into Chester, and it is a flat walk into the town centre. David is an excellent, helpful host and offers very good advice for what to see in the area, but is not at all overbearing. Our room at the front of the house was very large and clean, with a very comfortable bed. There was a useful guest information pack in the room, suggesting things to see and do and where to eat. Breakfast was very good quality, excellent cooked and continental versions. Hoole itself has a great 'village' centre across the street from the B&B and has good places to eat and drink if you are too tired to walk back into Chester in the evening. A good value B&B, would definately stay again.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by road noise ask for a room at the rear of the house.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple