“Unwelcoming in every way!”

The Limes Guest House
Ranked #56 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2014

To start with,the woman who runs this place is far from welcoming and warm. She made remarks that were rather pointed and rude and the day before we left (I'd booked the 2 family rooms) she asked when we'd be out. We were shocked to learn breakfast is only served between 7:30-8:45 and checkout is at 10. When she asked when we were leaving, I asked her if it was possible to check out later,adding I was willing to pay a fee for late check out and she immediately said no. So why ask me when we were leaving if she's not flexible? Due to the early hour of breakfast,none of us had it. (There were 7 of us in total.) At one point,when friends arrived,my daughter and another friend ran downstairs to greet them and accidently locked themselves out. I came downstairs to let them in only to find she was standing by the door the whole time making no move to let them in! As my friends came in she berated us for the "noise"-this was at 6pm and other than my daughter and friend running downstairs to greet our friends,they weren't noisy at all. In room 6 there was a picture hanging above the double bed that had been broken and instead of removing it which would have been the safest and wisest option,she just put electrical tape on it. Room 7's door wouldn't lock,so I had no choice but to leave the door unlocked when we went out. There were also electrical sockets that didn't work. I wouldn't suggest this place to anyone!

Room Tip: Go to a different B&B or hotel if you want a good room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank SpandauRhonda

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Dreadful from minute of arrival. No greeting,. I was meeting other guests, as we met, told to make less noise. Never been spoken to like that. No disabled facilities,had to walk 3 flights to my room on very top floor.
The room was filthy,carpet made feet dirty
Picture hanging of wall above bed. Beds like bricks.
On leaving a cleaner banged the door at 9.30,"you have to get out by 10" when I replied it wasnt, she very rudely said "well it nearly is".
Terrible room,rude staff. Glad I was with my friend/family to make my stay tolerable. So glad it was only one night.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank yer1515
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at The Limes for just one night. It was average in every way, not bad, but average. The decor was in need of improvement and bringing up to date. Welcome from the hostess was functional. Size of room was adequate but bed was among the most uncomfortable I have experienced - not much sleep. Breakfast was good, served swiftly, but I think the fresh fruit was better than the cooked options. So, all in all, OK, but just.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DC1970
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just returned from a fabulous overnight stay at this really nice guest house. We stayed in room 7 , a lovely spacious attic room. It was spotlessly clean, fresh crisp bedding, an a lovely ambience. Breakfast was really nice, a good english breakfast. THe manageress was really helpful and friendly. The guest house is in a really nice village with lots of amenities, only 15 walk from Chester City. I would definately recommend this lovely guesthouse, first class. we will definately be returning

Room Tip: room 7 is a very spacious family room in the attic, really nice
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at the lime over night the b an b was very cute an clean the room was large an the bathroom was lovely the owner must take pride in it as I can not fault this b an b for one second the breakfast was lovely tho I do recommend coming down early for breakfast as it does get busy at 8.30 would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rozalyn2014
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Not a luxury experience - hopeless shower, no plug for the wash basin and lots of extension leads to provide sockets - but great value, location close to the city centre, good parking, clean, warm and lovely girls serving at breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Missive
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

7 of my friends (inc my fiancée and I) stayed here last night.

Gosh. Where do I start? It absolutely stank of a retirement home. Like a vintage, soggy hospital even. Just horrible. The actual stench was so overpowering throughout the hallway, eating area and our bedroom.

Awful pillow. And a strange ink type smudge on the linen.

The landlady actually told my friend off for having his leg stretched out under the dining table. (He's 6 ft 2) She wasn't very warming at all. A real stern headmistress type.

All the rooms are the same price, yet my room was so small, you couldn't swing a cat in it. So how comes my friends paid the same rate as us when they had a room double the size?

And do t get me started on the UHT milk at breakfast and the food itself. The sausages were greasy and carcass filled and there was no vegetarian option. NO VEG OPTION? Ridiculous.

Turn around and go somewhere else!

• Stayed: November 2013