“Busy, busy pub...”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

...at least when we visited on a Friday night. We ate in the dining area which was an oasis of calm away from the throngs in the two bars and overflowing onto the canal path outside. The pub has a great selection of real ales and an interesting menu too. The food was good but slightly expensive for what was essentially pub food...service was top notch, however.

There are newer reviews for The Old Harkers Arms

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a great meal with great service and were both very impressed with The Old Harkers Arms. The best bit was when a member of the waiting staff went to the shop to buy soya milk for me. We'll be back next time we're in Chester.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Good selection of wines, nibbles. Didn't have a meal, but the food looked great. Nice friendly staff and a warm atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We are normally big fans of the Brunning and Price brand, and if there is one of their establishments wherever we are we will go there above other establishments. Today we had lunch here. I had the Cajun Spiced Chicken on flatbread. The flatbread was so overlooked around the edge my knife would not cut it I had to snap it off with my fingers. The outside of the chicken also overcooked and the spice could not be tasted. I only ate half, and on collection of our plates I told the waitress that I was disappointed , she said thats strange as we have been having good feedback on this dish today, which I found strange as the pub was not that busy. Thats the down side, the upside was that they did make recompense by not charging for the coffee, and the staff were very pleasant. This is the second time recently my meal has disappointed in a B & P pub, "is the star fading"? You already have Ribble Valley Inns snapping at your heels in Cheshire, with the opening of a pub in June, so bring back your high standards please.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Harkers has a nice atmosphere and when we arrived around 6pm, it was busy, but not too rammed. However, within an hour or so it got extremely busy and clearly there was not enough waiting staff to cope. Had to wait a while for food, but when it arrived it was nice. Nothing incredible, but good hearty, traditional food.

Is good for a gathering of friends