“very good once again”

Upstairs at The Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstairs at The Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 558 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Upstairs at the Grill is a split-level Manhattan-style steakhouse and intimate cocktail bar located in Chester City Centre. Open Monday to Thursday from 5pm and from 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we offer our guests the opportunity to explore our selection of locally sourced dry aged beef and extensive wine list. We look forward to welcoming you to Upstairs at the Grill.Upstairs At The Grill is available for a range of private parties, birthday parties, working lunches, business meetings or wedding receptions. Whether an intimate table of 2, party of 8 or an all-out celebration for 80, we’re here to help.
rotherham
“very good once again”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This will our second visit and once again very good, best steak i've ever tasted, staff friendly and know what they are talking about, and wont left you over order, not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
Manchester
“Never fails to impress - on all fronts.”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I've been to UATG about a dozen times now and thought it was about time that I showed this place some digital love.

The consistently exceptionally high standards of the food, drinks and the service are a credit to all of those involved and have shown absolutely no signs of decline in all the time I've been dining there - quite the opposite in fact.

My most recent visit was at the end of May for a 40th birthday meal as part of two couples.

After being led upstairs to the bar for the customary tour of the steak board, the perusal of the menus and (one of their superb Hendricks G&Ts) we made our choices and eventually descended to the main restaurant - a cosy room seating around 50 people. The restaurant is just about the right size in my opinion as it ensures excellent service, reasonable noise levels and doesn't place such a massive demand on the kitchen that the quality suffers when it's busy - which is almost always is.

I opted for the Scallops and Braised Beef Short Rib for a starter - the scallops were enormous and cooked to perfection, and the beef rich and phenomenally tender - the ideal taster for the steak-fest that was to follow.

While UATG does a variety of dishes that are not steak, you'd be slightly unhinged to choose anything other than steak here because they serve tremendously good quality meats cooked to a standard you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere else.

The 24oz Bone-in Rib Eye - my favourite cut here, was once again impeccably tender and flavourful. For a bit of a change I asked for it with the Cafe de Paris butter, which was not a menu option but they were unflinchingly happy to oblige. Having had it with other steak dishes at UATG I was keen to try it with the Rib Eye, and being served on the side I was able to do this without swamping the entire steak with it. I opted for cabbage and bacon and french fries as side orders and they complemented it perfectly. Their fries are always hot, fresh and crisp - not the slightly soggy, under-cooked affair that is so prevalent elsewhere.

My friends went for Porterhouse, Chateaubriand and another Bone-in Rib Eye and were all suitably impressed with their choices and their side dishes.

The wine list is extensive and the sommelier knowledgeable - I've never been underwhelmed with anything I've selected there.

Desserts? Not a chance. I've never made to the desserts here, and frankly that suits me just fine. Coffee and perhaps a digestif, bit by then I'm pretty much fit to burst and a very happy chap.

I'd recommend UATG to anyone who is looking for great food in a lovely environment, great service, good value and a lovely overall experience that you'll be eager to repeat. My mouth is watering just thinking about the next time...

• Visited May 2013
Cambridge UK
“I agree with the other '5' scores!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This restaurant is a block or two from the city centre, but don't be put off - it's the centre, the bulls eye for dining.
I'll keep it short, just focusing on a few things not covered by other reviewers.
• Staff helpful and attentive, but also confident and with a light sense of humour - they really enjoy their work
• The hot onion soup was served in a bowl that retained its heat
• Roasted bone marrow was a treat!
• The dessert cheeses were all local and top quality
£90 for two

• Visited April 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The Best Steak House and Bar in the North West”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Simply the best steak I've had in a long time, a great dining experiance. We were first taken upstairs to the bar area to order a few drinks and look through the menu. We were then shown all the various cuts of meat on a large board with a full description of each one given by the waiter. We were allowed to take our time, slowly go through the menu, order and then finish our drinks, we weren't rushed or told we had to go down to the table at any point.

We all had starters, mains, sides and desserts and I genuinely couldn't fault anything I ate. I thought the surroundings were fantastic with great service and a wonderful atmosphere. We went back upstairs to finish the night off and slowly made our way through most of the cocktails on the menu. Just as much attention has been paid to the drinks as well as the food. I live in Liverpool, but would quite happily make the trip back to eat here as many times as possible.

• Visited May 2013
england
“Still the best”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Another fantastic evening and it deserves its number one ranking.

Fantastic service, food and wine.

Never yet been disappointed!

• Visited June 2013