“Always superb”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Upstairs at the Grill is a split-level Manhattan-style steakhouse and intimate cocktail bar located in Chester City Centre. Open Monday to Thursday from 5pm and from 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we offer our guests the opportunity to explore our selection of locally sourced dry aged beef and extensive wine list. We look forward to welcoming you to Upstairs at the Grill.Upstairs At The Grill is available for a range of private parties, birthday parties, working lunches, business meetings or wedding receptions. Whether an intimate table of 2, party of 8 or an all-out celebration for 80, we’re here to help.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Lucky enough to dine here regularly. Always the best food with the best service. It's just so very special.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,471)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wonderful food and service. Was a surprise birthday treat for me and was perfect for a special occasion. the ribeye steak was cooked to perfection, exactly as I had asked for and the side orders of triple cooked chips and broccoli in hollandaise sauce were superb. The staff were very welcoming and efficient, Overall a truly wonderful dining experience and would definitely recommend dining here.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The food and service were absolutely perfect. Great cheese soufflé starter, best rump steak ever for main and G&T sorbet highly recommended. Excellent staff and attention to detail. Would definitely return for special occasion.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having been here a few times in the past, I recommended this place to my boyfriend who loves steak, but has yet to find a great steakhouse near to where we live. It's a little more than we would usually spend on a night out (though we dine out fairly frequently) so we decided to save it for a special occasion. So, last December, I made advance reservations for Valentine's Day (after triple-checking that their amazing a la carte menu would be available, and not a set menu).

Firstly, I should say that the service even before we got there was great. I emailed a few times to check various things, and always got a prompt, friendly response. We got to the restaurant in time to have a drink at the bar. We were welcomed like old friends, someone took our coats and we were led to the bar upstairs. A little dark for some, perhaps, but I felt it had a lovely relaxed, old-school atmosphere. We were given glasses of water to sip while we perused the drinks menu - and what a menu. There was a great range of beers, cocktails - and an usurpassed range of spirits. 'Oooh, Chase marmalade vodka! I've been wanting to try that!', I mused to boyfriend - seconds later, the barman was offering a small glass with a taster. I went for the breakfast martini (delicious), and my boyfriend had an American bottled beer that we'd never heard of (what a horrible night to be designated driver, when faced with a bar like this!!). The martini was gone pretty quickly so in the spirit of the occasion I had a glass of bubbles (Veuve Clicquot available by the glass for around £10, pretty good I thought).

So we were comfortably settled with drinks, and got down to business with the food menu. Oh, my goodness. It was one of those times I could have happily ordered one of everything!! The guy who took our order was beyond knowledgeable (he'd only got back from a long-haul trip that morning) and not at all judgmental when we started our usual trick of ordering everything we think sounds good.

It seemed like no time at all before a waitress came to get our drinks and show us to our table downstairs. The restaurant itself is very small and we were very close to the next table, but as I've been before I knew that and didn't expect any different. It's dimly lit and has the same atmosphere as the bar - relaxed, grown up, and meant for people who are serious about great food and great service.

We were offered a little hot freshly-baked loaf of bread with onion seeds and butter, a nice touch while we waited for the starters to come out. I usually see scallops on a menu and go straight for them - no change this time, and my partner ordered them as well... only I wanted him to try the amazing cheese souffle I'd had on previous visits, so we had one of those too.

The souffle was lovely - warm, tasty, light as air (and well-paired with onion jam and blue cheese cream). BUT... I'm glad I didn't forego the scallops to have the souffle. They were amazing, served with braised oxtail. Not a combination I'd have thought up myself, but barely a day has passed since February when I haven't craved them for at least a few minutes. Utterly delicious. I found a small fragment of bone while I ate my oxtail, but I'm not one of those people to whinge over something insignificant.

Starters down, we wondered how the steaks could live up to this high standard. Well shame on us, Upstairs at the Grill, for doubting you. I was so nervous that my recommendation would fall flat (my boyfriend REALLY likes his steak, and he likes it blue, which few establishments have ever managed to cook properly - so I emailed twice and checked once we got there that they would be able to do this), but it was wonderful. My other half still maintains that it was the best steak he has ever had (maybe overcooked by about ten seconds - again, a minor blip) and doesn't know how they managed to cook it so well and for it to have so much flavour. So much so, he says he'll double up on his steak order next time (for reference - he had the 12oz fillet, I had the 10oz Chateaubriand) . My steak was medium rare and was perfection. We also had a half lobster, served simply - grilled with garlic butter. Again it was absolutely perfect, but I think next time we'll have it as a separate fish course - it got a bit lost amongst the steak and the plethora of side orders. We had two dauphinoise potatoes (okay), onion rings (great), carrots with ginger (sensational!!), broccoli hollandaise (okay) and creamed spinach (okay). The steak is undoubtedly the star of the show - and I have no idea what they do to the little grilled tomatoes they serve with the steak, but they were amazing too.

With a food coma hovering on the horizon, we decided we couldn't leave without dessert. So with another glass of bubbles (I'd had red with dinner, honestly the wine menu is unbelievable) in hand, I ordered the chocolate and orange tart, and boyfriend went with his old favourite, sticky toffee pudding. He said that wasn't the best he'd ever had, whereas I was opposite the table having an epiphany over the bitter chocolate and orange tart with salted caramel ice cream. I don't even have a sweet tooth, but this was just something else. Definitely a finalist for the best dessert I've ever eaten.

With dessert done, we realised our goal of attempting the cheese plate was never going to be realised. We paid the bill with the promise that we'd return - perhaps not very soon, as this place is special enough to be kept as a 'treat', but we will certainly be back.

Service - friendly, efficient, unobtrusive. Staff are extremely knowledgeable and really get behind the ethos of the place

Food - exceptional. 6 visits, I've never been disappointed. My favourite restaurant by quite a margin

Value - well, it ain't cheap. But where can you get food like this for a great price? We were willing to pay for this standard of food and service. 2 glasses Veuve, 1 martini, 1 glass red, 2 bottled beers, 3 starters, half a lobster, 2 steaks, 6 sides, and 2 desserts was around £190, including a decent tip.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked a table at the restaurant for my husbands 40th birthday and it certainly didn't disappoint. It was perfect for the occasion. We were taken upstairs into the bar area and poured a glass of water as we sat down. We ordered a bottle of champagne which came with strawberries,and we sipped it while being talked through all the different cuts of steak that they brought out on a wooden board. Even as a vegetarian i found this to be quite interesting. We started off with Arnold Benedict omelette which i really enjoyed. There wasn't a lot of choice for me only vegetable wellington but i do eat fish sometimes so i had the monkfish in curry sauce with mussels. It was delicious. I had it with triple cooked chips and creamed spinach. My husband had steak with triple cooked chips and honey glazed carrots. He said it was the best he had had. To finish we had rum and raisin creme brulle,that was to die for. We also had liqueur coffee each and it was the most expensive meal we have ever had but it was well worth it. The service was impeccable and my husband had a birthday meal to remember.