“Afternoon tea”
Review of The Shed

The Shed
Ranked #13 of 230 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: British, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014

After the Maritime museum we stopped on our way home for afternoon tea and it was fine, service was okay, neither exceptional nor poor, good location with lots of competition around it.

There are newer reviews for The Shed

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Although very busy the Shed managed to fit us in for an early dinner - food delicious and great atmosphere.

TheShedFalmouth, General Manager at The Shed, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you had a great time at The Shed.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Spent an evening in The Shed during Falmouth week in August 2014. Pretty busy place with an average menu. All bar one of our group of 6 had a burger in one form or another & the odd one out had a full chicken (smallest chicken I've ever seen). This with a few drinks each came to £144. A bit pricey but you pay for where you are on the south coast.

Thank you for your review.

Our burgers are our most popular dishes but we do offer a wide variety of other food on our menu from tapas dishes, mussels and fresh fish to salads, pizza and steak.

Sorry you found us pricey but we know that £9.95 for a good burger in a restaurant is not expensive compared to other establishments.

Thanks again and I hope that overall your evening was a pleasant one with us.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure where to start. This is all about the food as we had no problem with the service. Kids menu - fried fried or fried. We opted for the tempura veg tapas, tiger prawns tapas and calamari tapas in the hope this may suffice our little one. The calamari had a pungent smell of fish - not what we are used to, thinking these were frozen?? The prawns were so over cooked they tasted like rubber and as for the tempura veg, questionable pieces of veg deep fried to the point of no return. Where was the tempura? The half chicken for main - looked anorexic and like something out of a supermarket cafe. The Caesar salad was the biggest disappointment. Dry, tasteless, saturated (again) flavourless croutons that were very over fried, I suspect deep fried, and chicken over grilled and stuck on top of a bed of wilted cos with no basic flavouring. The anchovies were dumped on a corner and the Parmesan shaving (singular) made one of my favourite salads of all time, a disgrace. I do a better job at home and for less than £10.95 a bowl. I might add I saw other meals going out to tables that also looked poor in quality and with a distinct lack of love that's gone into the preparation and cooking of the food. Living in Cornwall, it's so hard to find a decent restaurant that serves good honest food. Please don't lose the concept of what it is you are offering here. Your menu might appear to be great, but your chef/cook needs a kick. This is not about Michelin Star, or awards of any nature. This is about cooking and there is a distinct lack of it here!
As an aside the ladies loo's were also filthy. Not a good reflection on how the rest of how back of house is run. Sort it out!

Dear Amy N

I'm terribly sorry and shocked to hear of your disappointment.

You only have to look below at glowing reviews of our food so I hope you can appreciate that this is certainly not our usual standard.

Firstly I don't quite know what you mean about the kids menu..."fried fried fried"!? The only thing that is fried on the kids menu is the scampi. The fresh mussels, homemade burger and pizza are not fried.

It sounds like your entire meal was perhaps over cooked. We have always received very positive feedback on every dish you've mentioned, so I can only conjecture that the food was presented to a below par standard on this occasion for which there is no excuse and I humbly apologise for.

I also assume that your visit was at a busy time which would explain why the toilets may have been unclean. They are cleaned every day and are checked twice during the day and night but unfortunately sometimes they can become dirty very quickly without us knowing.

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your experience was not a good one.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The food was freshly cooked, we had mainly seafood dishes. The desserts of the day were to die for, despite them being large portions our kids 7 and 16 yrs managed to polished it up after a much filling main course.