“Centrally located but somewhat noisy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Falmouth Townhouse

The Falmouth Townhouse
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Falmouth
UK
“Centrally located but somewhat noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

The hotel is in a good location for visiting the centre of Falmouth. We stayed in one of the more expensive rooms iwhich was a good size and has an excellent walk in shower.

Overall it's a bit dated but clean enough. Breakfast service was slow but the food ok. All the staff were very friendly.

Parking is not great but we did manage to get in most of the time.

The major downside is that the location is noisy so take some earplugs. The town center carpark is immediately opposite and there's a pub next door. There's also a noisy compressor outside the fornt of the hotel which they could do with silencing. There was liitle noise emanating from the inside of the hotel.

We enjoyed our stay but probably won't rush back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Wetherby, Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

This small hotel is lovely. It could however be called a "Bar with Rooms" but don't let that put you off. The decor is retro cool and the whole ground floor is given over to the bar which doubles as breakfast room in the mornings. I enjoyed this but it is unashamedly kitted out to please the under 30's. But why not? My 82 year old Mother was made to feel as welcome as anyone and really I found the staff to be all exceptionally helpful and pleasant and this for me is the most important thing in a hotel. Suitcases were carried up for us through the alarming prison type door at the top of the stairs. This door is there for the reason that the ground floor is a bar with I'm sure many a late night party going on so security upstairs is paramount.
Rooms are spacious and unique and delightfully different with state of the art bathrooms and my favourite thing - LARGE TVs. I was disappointed not to be able to go online in my second floor room and wished they would get another router for that floor but apart from that all was perfection. Across the road is Rick Stein's tapas bar (a MUST during a visit here) and various shops. The town is busy and noisy and fun. Worth the price, worth the detour.

Room Tip: If you want internet stay on first floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I actually stayed at the townhouse for around 4 weeks whilst working in the area. I found the hotel to be really friendly, and the rooms were brilliant. Each one individual with it's own little quirks, with absolutely fabulous bathrooms.

The rooms were warm, well equipped with the most fabulous beds! It became difficult to get out of the thing each morning. Breakfast was lovely and cooked to order which sometimes took a little time, but I would have happily waited for longer. The selection is great, again, staff very attentive and genuinely friendly.

The bar is great, music is eclectic and made me annoy the bar staff on more than one occasion but I've come away with a great playlist. Don't have the martini's. They are too fabulous to leave e bar at a reasonable hour and held my attention for far too long on occasion.

Comes highly recommended from a very fussy lady!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are a little quieter. Room 10 has the best bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for three nights (Mon-Thurs) at the beginning of April, just before the Easter weekend.

We paid £255 for the stay, so it's by no means a budget alternative, but I'd read the reviews and went for it (had to book at short notice so other options were scarce).

I emailed ahead on the Thursday night beforehand to ask about the parking as i had read on here that it is limited. I still haven't had a reply! However there was no problem parking at all, in fact throughout the stay I had the only car there! It is down a small little alleyway at the rear of the hotel.

On entering, we were greeted by a young girl, just in casual clothes, who was friendly enough, and showed us to our room (Room 5 (or FIV, as the E had dropped off the door!)) on the first floor, facing towards the rear.

I would agree with every review I have read on here. The room was sizeable, with an amazing bed, but fairly quirky furniture, which was more car boot sale than antique, but didn't detract from the feel of the room too much. The bathroom was large, with a brilliant shower, and massive bath. There was a damp patch on the ceiling which could have been painted over, and a bit of mould in the sealant around the bath, which again could easily be sorted.

The bedroom itself was clean on first inspection, although if you were being picky you could say that the skirting boards etc were dusty, and the radiator had been pulled off of the wall. The TV in the room was fine. The biggest problem really when it comes to the facilities of the room was that other than a hanging area by the door, there were no chest of drawers to place other clothes, so for a stay longer than a couple of nights it began to feel like you were living out of your bags.

Noise wise, as is often written about on here, there were a few issues. Not from the people in the bar, or those walking past outside, but definitely from doors being slammed early in the morning. I think that this was from the staff cleaning the rooms, as the cleaning cupboard was directly outside of our room, and the door to the accommodation from downstairs had a hydraulic closing arm that slammed it shut. Another annoyance, which granted cannot be solved by the staff, was the bloody seagulls early in the morning, who were very noisy and woke me (although I'm a light sleeper, my girlfriend was not woken by any noise throughout the stay!). It's not like we were sleeping all day either, getting up at a reasonable 9am (we were on holiday!), so why the rooms couldn't have been cleaned in the afternoon I don't know.

The breakfast on the first morning (Tues) disappointed my girlfriend. I had eggs benedict, which was excellently presented and tasted lovely. My girlfriend asked for a bacon sandwich on white bread with scrambled eggs on the side, and received brown bread, and had black pepper mixed into her eggs. Whilst this isn't the end of the world, for some it can detract from the meal, and it did for her. The service was quick throughout out stay, certainly no longer than 10 minutes to receive our food. We were served by a young blonde girl on the first morning, who didn't seem as attentive as the brunette girl who served us on the following two mornings, and did a brilliant job.

The second morning was a fruit cocktail for the girlfriend with croissant with no complaints, and I had a bacon and egg sandwich on white, and it was a winner. The chef brought us our food which is a nice touch, and he was a very professional and charming chap.

The third day I had a full english, which was amazing. One of the best I've had, so kudos to the chef. My girlfriend had the mini english, with a few requests that were adhered to this time (I think the brunette girl was far better all round for service and friendliness) and she really enjoyed it too. Again the chef served our food, which I really liked.

In the evenings, the bar was not heaving, but there were patrons drinking, and whilst we didn't use it, there was a nice friendly vibe from the bar. I get the feeling the people running the place have regulars who are also friends, so it creates a nice relaxed atmosphere. The only downside to this, depending on your viewpoint, is that it was hard to identify who were staff members and who were customers sometimes, as there is no uniform, and casual clothes were worn, but we are in Cornwall here, so that is fine!

Falmouth is a student town now, and luckily for us they had all gone home for Easter break the weekend before our stay, and the locals commented that it was a ghost town in comparison. Certainly from my memory of living in the area, when they are down every night is party night and our stay would have been somewhat different!

Location of the place is great for those wanting to use the train, as its a very short walk away. Also those wanting to explore the trendier end of Falmouth town are ideally situated, with the National Maritime Museum and several excellent restaurants on your doorstep.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The question that would need to be asked is whether I'd return there. If it was off season mid week, then I would strongly consider it, although I know from living here in the past that there are better options if you book in advance. If the students were in town, I would avoid it, as it really is in town and would suffer from the noise of them until the early hours, and with the seagulls starting at 6am, you'd be exhausted!!!

The food for me was a strong winner, as was the bed, and the bathroom, nothing that hasn't already been said on here. I think for the money paid it could have been cleaner, and perhaps with a more professional feel, as it felt more B & B than hotel, (with the exception of the chef and the young brunette girl who could easily have worked in a five star hotel) whilst paying hotel prices.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear, and I would suggest on the top floor to remove yourself from the banging...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed mid week on business and would certainly recommend it, room was light and airy and quite as it overlooked the back of the hotel. Staff were great as was the breakfast and the location was perfect for a night out enjoying the pubs and restaurants in Falmouth. I will definitely stay again during my next visit.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Locksheathboater
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just returned from a great stay at the Falmouth Townhouse. Great room overlooking the harbour and very close to Rick Stein's seafood bar. Easy, short walk into town. Loved the contemporary style; room was very comfortable with great accessories. Really liked the bar downstairs - couldn't hear it upstairs but had an amazing selection of beers, very well made cocktails and great bar snacks including potted shrimp. Staff were great. Breakfast delicious and available til 10.30am.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PerfectFootprint
Bideford, Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We booked online, which was easy and managed to get a good deal.
The room was lovely! Nice big bath which I think I spent about 3 hours in! Comfiest bed I've ever slept in, with such a cool chilled style. Very modern but warm.
The breakfast was smashing, not greasy but could have been a little bigger!
The bar has an amazing selection of spirits and shots etc.
The only thing I could moan about was the noise out side, It was a saturday night so wasn't expecting it too be silent, but the sash windows didn't keep any of the noise out.
Staff very friendly, would defo stay again :)

Room Tip: We had the one on the first floor, to the right as you come up the stairs, at the front (cant rememb...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple