“"simply overpriced" advise stay away.”

Rosslyn Hotel Falmouth
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Note Hotel is at the top of a steep hill.
Rooms basic
eEn suite (er no more like a shower and loo in the wardrobe)
Beds uncomfortable (spings without padding)
You had to turn the telly off to make a cup of tea.
The 20 year old telly had a high pitch buzz.
Fluffy towels... err NO more like sand paper
Breakfast was average.
we booked on line for a double and found it was a twin...........

For the price we felt is was overpriced by around $60

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I wish I knew about this site and had used it first. The Hotel web site must have been written for different owners because none of it is true. Everything is worn out and there is obviously no interest in making the place presentable. Do not go.

Room Tip: Stay some where else.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Travelled from Newcastle to Falmouth to visit my student son. The hotel room was shabby. Minimal effort and money has been spent to make it fit to let out. Very basic. The hand towel was stained. The shower had black mould. The shower curtain was dirty and unpleasant. The toilet was lifting off the floor. Minimal tea and coffee. Tiny TV. Only stayed for breakfast on one day but despite asking for a vegetarian breakfast was confronted with bacon hidden underneath the egg. Profuse apologies were offered and a replacement breakfast provided, but such an error reflects a really poor standard of service. For the quality of the room and the food I am amazed that this hotel has 2 stars. I can't believe it has been reviewed by the AA recently. Friendly owneres but this doesn't make up for the shabbiness of the hotel. I'm sorry to say but it is probably the worst quality hotel or B&B I have ever stayed in and I certainly wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JessieNE4
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is only a 2 star hotel and we used it for convenience when visiting our son at Uni in Falmouth. We chose it because we had to take our dog and they accepted dogs. I wouldn't say they were dog- friendly- she couldn't go in the garden, more that they tolerated dogs.
I felt that the hotel was a bit shabby but the proprietress tried her best to give us good vegetarian breakfasts and everything worked. It was OK as a 'no frills' place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We stayed overnight whilst visiting the university. Yes the hotel needs updating, however the owners Angela & her partner are nice people. had a warm welcome and the Breakfast was very good. Although our en-suit needed to be updated the room was spacious and clean and tidy. I think for the rate it is good value. would stay here again.
Sheila John & Daniel

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2010

the paintwork at the front of the hotel needs touching up, rust underneath the front window gives a bad impression. The hole place is grubby with lack of attention to detail, You feel as though you are imposing by asking for a drink at the bar. Never saw anyone eat in the restaurant except for breakfast, which was of a good standard. Sink in my bedroom did not have hot water, had a separate bathroom but down the corridor. Had to ask for towels as there were non in the room, bedside light did not work and no tv remote. Car park awkward to park in as its on a steep slope.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Have returned from spending five nights at the Rosslyn and am honestly shocked by some of the reviews on this site. The staff were friendly and polite, and very helpful indeed. For instance, the room I was originally allocated had a problem, which we reported one morning before heading out for the day. We returned that afternoon to find that not only had another room been arranged for us to move into, all of our belongings had been transferred there too which saved us a lot of hassle. The room itself was lovely, bright and airy with a view of the garden, comfy bed, and a spacious bathroom. I will say that I do think that the rooms are of varying standards that are in the process of being updated and redecorated, so it may have been luck of the draw that we got such a pleasant room. My parents were in a room that was also very nice, but had a very small bathroom. The rooms were cleaned daily, even over the bank holiday.

The breakfasts were delicious, freshly prepared with a wide selection, and the restaurant was also of high quality and reasonably priced although a little quiet. If you stay at the Rosslyn I do recommend having a meal at their restaurant, you wont regret it. My only complaint is that is a bit far from the centre of Falmouth, however a taxi is around £3. Falmouth itself is a lovely town, and a good base to travel to other areas of Cornwall.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family