“The Red Arrows strike again”

Harbour Lights Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 233 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family run. Family friendly. Best harbour views of all Falmouth restaurants. Holder of the NFFF (National Federation of Fish Friers) Quality Award. All our fish is from fully sustainable sources. MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) certified restaurant. Extensive variety of fish, with local Cornish fish options always available. 100 seat restaurant and also takeaway section. Fully licensed. Free beach bucket & spade with every kids meal. Free WI-FI. Warmest of welcomes guaranteed. Thank You Pete & Sue Fraser
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Because of the ariel display that day, Falmouth was packed so we were pleased to be shown a table straight away at the Harbour Lights. It all went a bit Pete Tong after that, unfortunately. As our table was sticky, I asked a (v. tired looking) waitress to wipe it down, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The regular sized haddock seemed to have shrunk in size since last year, although it, and the chips & salad tasted fine.
My husband was pleased that the sponge puddings were back on the menu, but my ice cream sundae had solidly frozen strawberries in it & I couldn't eat it. This was taken off the bill.
On the way out I visited the rest room to find the loo roll dispenser jammed and shredded toilet paper across the floor. I should have mentioned this, but I was so disappointed with our visit this year, I just wanted to leave. I do hope things get back to normal for our next visit, and hope this was just a one off

Pete F, Owner at Harbour Lights Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write a review - I appreciate all forms of feedback, as it helps us grow better and better.

Red arrows displays will usually mean that the place is somewhat overrun. In that climate we will sometimes make mistakes along the way

I can see that our first mistake was seating you at a dirty table, which is entirely against our policy - no one should ever be seated at a table that hasn't been readied proper, and my apologies for that happening. As far as the haddock is concerned, the only difference this year is that it is sourced locally - but that shouldn't mean a difference in size (Will investigate further).

Frozen strawberries - Unacceptable, and we've received similar feedback from others - Our staff has been retrained and told not to freeze strawberries/use frozen strawberries.

Lavatories we do inspect every hour or by request, and that is the most feasible solution we have - we aim to keep them as clean and orderly as possible, but we can't keep our eye on them all the time unfortunately.

I would like to say it was a one off - our aim is for every customer to leave with a smile on their face, and I definitely would like you to return to us so we can set things straight. Thank you very much for your review (please drop me a message if I can do anything more).

Kind regards, Pete.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Straight forward fish and chip shop!!
Enjoyed the food and it was good for kids. Some of the junior staff were just going through the motions, but the family owners were more attentive and put the effort in to make the meal a lot better :)

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We have eaten at harbour lights regulary for the last 6 years, yesterday being the most recent! They serve the best fish and chips I have ever tasted......ever!! I grew up by the sea where fish and chip shops are plentiful but no where beats harbour lights. The restaurant is beautifully decorated. The staff are super friendly, the restaurant manager (Robin I believe his name is) is one of the nicest people we have come across. He always remembers and recognises us all, asks how our children are and makes us feel more than welcome. The food is tasty and really nicely presented. They are very child friendly and my son loves collecting the buckets and spades from his meal. You really really can not fault this place, we love eating there as a family and with friends which we have on many different occasions. Highly recommended to all. See you again soon!

2  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Nice variety of food, the batter on the fish was very good, not greasy at all. The choice of chips, salad or half chips and half salad is a very good idea as like me full chips is too much but don't necessaraly want just salad.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

By far the best fish and chip restaurant in Falmouth and excellent value.
The view across Carrick Roads is magnificent. For a nice relaxed and simple meal there is no other.

1  Thank Gordon M