“Special”

Ranked #2 of 226 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$15 - US$70
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We went for the Gourmet Dinner and it was truly outstanding. We have eaten at Oliver's a number of times and have never been let down. On this occasion Ken introduced each of his courses and explained the ingredients and techniques used in preparing what turned out to be exquisite dishes. We took my sister and her husband as a treat for her birthday and we were all thrilled at the quality and flavours, though also by the brilliant way in which Wendy and Ken balance the fine dining experience with an informal and friendly atmosphere.

I think the emphasis on locally sourced high quality produce is great, and congratulations to Ken and Wendy on maintaining such high standards.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TRN2014

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Delightful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband was working in Falmouth and I was to travel down for the weekend so we could celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary together. As it was a special occasion, I looked to trusty trip advisor for the best restaurants in the town. At the time, Oliver's was No1 so that's what it was to be. Three weeks before I telephoned and spoke with Wendy and held my breath...there was one table left for the date we wanted (phew!). When we told the owner of the B&B where we were staying , the first thing she said was "have you booked? cause you'll never get in otherwise" and then quickly followed by "its fabulous"! So, what are our thoughts? Well, quite simply, incredible! The weather was appalling when we arrived, so we Wendy greeted two wet and bedraggled customers with a very warm and friendly welcome. Now for the food.. seasonal, locally sourced as much as possible and the taste? Simply divine! We had a complimentary amouse bouche, which was a very exciting combination of sweet and savoury morsels, followed by scallops and for mains we had venison and rabbit (so fantastic to see this meat on restaurant menus) and unusually for us, we each had dessert. Every course was cooked to perfection, presented with flair and artistry and resulted in clean plates and two very happy diners. We have both eaten in a variety of very good restaurants throughout the UK, and we can honestly say, this is by far the best place we have eaten. Thank you to Wendy and her husband Ken who is such an accomplished chef for making our special occasion a very memorable one. And, to end this review, we believe Oliver's is No1 in Falmouth :-)

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank genie26c
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“High end, quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This place was a great find for us....should have known it would be special when the owner of our cottage nearly fell through the floor when we said we were eating here...."how did you manage to get a table?'....plan well in advance is my reply, this place is worth the wait. Food was extremely high quality, beautifully presented and the wine was equally impressive - add to that a relaxed atmosphere and great service and you have it all!! I can't wait to go back. Thank you.

2 Thank polli396
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Good bits, not so good bits.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having eaten lunch here two or three times in the past I was looking forward to trying an evening meal. My starter involving asparagus and a poached egg was out of this world and I could happily have eaten it twice over. One of the most delicious starters I've ever had. My pork based main course was very nice though a little uninspiring. However I was really disappointed with the pudding menu. Not a single hot pudding option!

Now ever since I gave up smoking 6 years ago I've become rather partial to a nice hot pudding and most decent restaurants usually indulge my weakness. I am not a massive fan of cold puddings. The sour cherry ice-cream my partner and I ended up ordering was nice though didn't actually taste of sour cherries. The service - though very warm and friendly as ever - was slow. We had to wait ages to catch someone's eye to get the bill.

Maybe it was just a one off and I will certainly try Oliver's again one day but will check the pudding menu beforehand next time...

1 Thank Sorus
Reading
“Another lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We have been visiting Olivers since it opened 4 years ago, and once again it didn't disappoint. Wendy makes a great host and makes us feel welcome every time we visit. We had the Duck and Venison with Panacotta and lemon tart to finish. Looking forward to next Easter...

1 Thank rixon