“Rude lady in charge”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

When we visited the member of staff which finally greeted us ( manager we thought) was very very rude. We rang earlier on in the day to add an extra person but they didn't get the message due to phone lines being down. She asked us to give her 20 minutes to add an extra person. When my family member arrived who is in a wheelchair we were very rudely asked to move her due to people sitting in the reserved seats. This people didn't arrive for at least an hour after we were seated. I have to say the waitress that serviced us was lovely and made us all feel very welcome. The food was very pricey for what it was

2  Thank Kirsty C
markagnew, Evening Manager at Gylly Beach Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Hi there Kirsty C,

My name is Helen and I am the Evening Manager, I have quite a different account of your visit here at Gylly. We try and strive to ALWAYS provide the very best service here at Gylly for all our guests and it's a real shame when we think we have done our best only to find out via tripadvisor something completely to the contrary.

At 18:05 a waitress informed me that your party had arrived - I informed the waitress to let you know that I would be with you in a couple of minutes as I was seating a party who had booked in at 18:00 and trying to accommodate a walk-in of 3, knowing that your booking was not until 18:30.

When greeting your party I was informed that you had called earlier on in the day and left a message to increase your table number to 10 persons and why was your table only 9 persons. I immediately apologised that we did not get the message as we had been experiencing problems with our phones the previous evening and earlier that day. However, this would not be a problem to adjust the seating arrangements and invited you to take a seat on our sofa area, order a drink at the bar, which would allow us to re-arrange your table in time for 18:30 as booked. Some of your guests decided not to sit or order a drink at the bar, asking customers to do this would be the normal process for anyone arriving 25 mins early for their reservation, unless I have a waitress and the booking space to seat them immediately.

I was due to seat 2 people at 18:15 on table 8, which was surrounded by your party. When I informed you that the table for 2 was going to be occupied and if they could leave some space for the customers, you only moved slightly, I did assist with moving the lady in the wheelchair, the birthday girl, who was grateful for this. However, there was still not alot of room around table 8. So I decided to re-locate the table 8 customers...

Being a busy Saturday (fully booked) night I managed to re-locate the table 8 customers to a different table and seated them at 18:15 as booked. Re-locating table 8 away at that time from your party allowed both parties to have some space, making it comfortable for everyone. I was actually really trying to not bother you any more by asking you to give table 8 more space, and instead worked around you, I am very sorry if this came in across in any other way, I was really trying to do the best for both groups.

Shortly after 18:15 both myself and another waitress amended your table to accommodate the 10th person. When the table was set, I invited your party to be seated which was slightly earlier than 18:30. Apologising again for the missed call. Handed out the menus, made sure everyone was OK, wished the lady in the wheelchair a very happy birthday again and handed over to the waitress to take a drinks order.

Table 8 was then occupied by another guest who had a reservation (the guests originally intended for this table where the guests we had moved, in order to give both parties further space, and cause less hassle for you by asking you to move again!) This was 30 mins after, not an hour after I had seated your table.

When your party had finished your main course, I helped clear the plates, asking if you had enjoyed your meal. Everyone seemed very happy - even the two younger girls at the end of the table said it was delicious and that they were stuffed and would be dancing it off later. I took a dessert menus over to the table starting with the lovely lady in the wheelchair as it was her birthday. I was informed that you were all so full and would not be having dessert as you were going home for a cup of tea and a slice of birthday cake which I said was a lovely idea.

As you left, I apologised to the lady who had made the booking again for the telephone call / message which wasn't received and wished you all a good evening.

Sometimes, un-be-known to customers we make last minute changes to tables in order to better seat / give space to or accommodate last minute changes to tables without the guests ever thinking there was an issue. This is exactly what has happened in this instance. We felt that the table that your group had congregated around did not have enough space for its booked customers, and so we moved them rather than causing further hassle to your party and asking you to move again. If we would have been informed at the time of your annoyance we would have done everything in our power to have rectified this and explained fully at the time the reasons why.

I am sorry we did not have that opportunity. We would love to see you in here again, so you can be of the same opinion as the hundreds of happy customers that dine with us every evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,906)

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We spent the afternoon enjoying the great views of the beach. We ordered sandwiches and chips, fresh, generous and delicious. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The only downside about this place is that's it's so busy you struggle to get a seat, but it's no wonder as it's such a nice place to visit. We love it there and will continue to visit.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Fantastic little bar/cafe right on the beach, you can sit indoors for the full menu or eat outside on the decking area for great BBQ specials which are good value or just chill out with a drink, we visited a couple of times and had a great night, live music on Sundays is good.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Popped in for a drink with my sister and her husband as passing on a nice sunny day. It was very busy with visitors as it is in a fantastic location. After managing to find a seat outside we ordered a glass of wine each, at £6.25 for a medium glass of an average white I found it quite pricy, the staff were very abrupt and this is unusual in Cornwall as most people are very friendly. We were going to eat there but the attitude of the staff made us change our minds! I certainly won't be going there again when there are so many other places with equally good views, but much nicer people.

1  Thank Bexter321
markagnew, Manager at Gylly Beach Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Hi there BeckyMundy,

Please let me apologise for your visit here at Gylly Beach Café, please let me assure you this is not a 'norm' here at Gylly as we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service as you can see from our many great reviews. However on this occasion we fell short of that. If you would have come and spoke to a member of management or any member of staff, I would have certainly loved to have rectified the situation at the time.

I am also sorry you felt that you glass of Esk Valley Sauvignon Blanc from New Zeland (which is an incredible wine) was expensive for a medium glass, it is our most expensive wine on our list and the only one priced at £6.25 for a medium glass.

I really hope this experience won't stop you from visiting in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

This was our second visit to this restaurant this year whilst on weekend breaks. We went back because it was very good the first time. Our first visit was by chance and we did not expect much with a name like Gylly Beach CAFE. It's a great location right on the beach with nice views. The service was very good considering how busy they were. All staff looked the part and spoke intelligently. You had better book first for dinner otherwise you may not get a table. The food is restaurant quality and the wine list adequate. We have reserved a table for our next visit.