“Seafood heaven”

Ranked #1 of 249 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Locally, daily caught shellfish served in a relaxed and very friendly atmosphere.Customer service and enjoyment are our priorities open from 6.00Pm - 9.00Pm Wednesday-saturday
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I once we had booked our hotel put this place as no 1 on our list to visit again, and it did not disappoint. What can I say about this wonderful restaurant that has not been said before, you must book well in advance, expect a limited menu and choice of wines. However what they do is so good and so perfect you want more. Great atmosphere and service and after being taught by the owner how to get the best white meat from a crab and listening to her story about the Wheelhouse you can understand what makes this place special, it’s almost as if each meal is for friends and family. A must visit place if you go to Falmouth.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is the maddest most joyous wonderful place I've ever eaten in, anywhere. The booking system is eccentric but works: they tell you when you can come!
First impressions are that such a tiny room cannot possibly fit us all in but like something out of alice in wonderland, it does. Staff will sit with you and explain how it all works. The food is simply five types of seafood including oysters if you are in the right season (we weren't) presented in beaten copper Portuguese cooking dishes. Chose your seafood, decide what order you want it in, decide on one of two ways of service sauce wise and within minutes it arrives. They are so confident in its freshness and tastiness that they don't have to tart it up in any manner whatsoever. Wedges of fresh bread, bowls of chips and a rather decent salad to go with it. Eat grilled scallops in a light sauce that was so lemony, buttery, salty I had to lick the shell. Followed by shell on prawns in a garlic butter sauce. Again, could have swigged the sauce from the bowl at the end but I remembered my manners just in time. I tried to get the recipe of the scallop sauce from the staff but apparently it is a state secret. Cheese board to share at the end included a cheese I'd never had before but is now my favourite new cheese - Snowden Black Bomber. Texture of butter with a tangy kick that surprises you. Hugely memorable evening. Go. But do book - well in advance.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were able to get a last minute slot for 1 hour. What can I say, wow is an understatement... A limited menu of shellfish but what a fantastic place. We had scollops, muscles with a Thai sauce and beautiful garlic prawns. The scollops were to die for. I can't recommend this place enough. But be warned in peak season bookng is about 3 months!!! But do try, we got very lucky. The host is lovely showing you how to handle crabs and lobsters like a pro!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stopped here before we caught the ferry boat back to Fowey and had 45 minutes. We both had a crab sandwich which came with salad, a little pot of crab pate and a dish of the best chips I’ve had in a long time. The order was taken with a smile and was very prompt. The sandwich was stuffed with fresh white crab meat and the brown bread was thick, soft and fresh. The pate was rich and very flavourful. The chips... handmade, golden, crunchy, fluffy..... In all it was gorgeous. We’d go back here without hesitation, and we’d make more time to sample other choices - from what we could see from other diners’ plates, it all looked delicious. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Called on the off chance of a table and was lucky that they had just had a cancellation.

Fantastically simple lobster, prawns and scallops all cooked perfectly.

Really can't fault it.