“perfect”

Ranked #1 of 246 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Locally, daily caught shellfish served in a relaxed and very friendly atmosphere.Customer service and enjoyment are our priorities open from 6.00Pm - 9.00Pm Wednesday-saturday
Reviewed 10 April 2010

I live and work in Falmouth (in the restaurant trade) and i've been to the wheel house countless times already,. To be honest, this is exactly what eating in a cornish seaside town should be about! Fresh shellfish, cooked simply but very well! Very sociable experience. Definately eat here! Brilliantly friendly hosts too....

2  Thank travel4fun1986

Reviewed 7 April 2010

We found the place quite by chance and had the most memorable meal of our holiday.We had Mussels and skinny chips to start and they were as good as any we have had in France or Belgium. We followed with a whole crab, which we shared, accompanied by fresh crusty bread. A bottle of the house white and the whole thing came to £32.15 for 2 people. They also do prawns in garlic butter and fresh oysters but we could eat no more. The place is small and cosy the welcome very warm. The food is cooked fresh and the atmosphere is great. We have eaten in much more expensive places and not had such a good meal as this. The menu is limited but what they do they do well. Give it a try. I would think you will have to book later in the season as it is sure to be very popular.
They have not been open long but we are sure they will be a great success and they deserve it.

1  Thank farmgirlLondon
Reviewed 6 April 2010

For my 40th birthday I visited Falmouth and was treated to a seafood feast for my special dinner with some friends. We had fresh off the boat crabs & mussels and oysters - all were delicious and totally mouth watering... As we had dined late, our party ended up being the only ones left and so after Tina the owner of the Wheel House cleaned up, she got a glass of wine and joined us for a tipple to join in the celebration. Tina and her staff made us feel very welcome and indeed we had so enjoyed the evening that I admit I was sorry to leave. But I know that the next time I am in Falmouth I will certainly visit the restaurant again as it was very cosy and jolly - and is for seafood lovers galore- though they will try to get you a meaty dish if you ask when you book in advance. Highly recommended !

1  Thank irnbru1970
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We visited here and loved it! Tina was creating a special for the mussles and I was the first to try it (curry mussles) they were fab, can't fault them. We went back a couple of days later to try the crab (with the black pepper sauce which was really, really great) House wine was so good with the menu and great value. Buy the time we left we felt we had known Tina for ages (good luck with your next camper trip). We will be going back next time we visit Falmouth.

1  Thank SomersetWoody
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We've now been to the Wheelhouse maybe two dozen times in the last two months. The menu is succinct but great: prawns shell on or shell off with appropriate quantities of garlic Spanish style, super-fresh crab either plain or with a fabulous spicy black bean sauce, native oysters caught by a local man with a traditional Falmouth working boat, lovely mussels, splendid shoestring fries and lovely local cheese. Tina and Matt are excellent hosts and cooks. Fresh bread, traditional copper Portuguese pans, bibs to protect you from shell juice, what more could you want?

2  Thank caza1ou