“Don't go unless you have plenty of time to spare......”

Hooked on the Rocks
Ranked #15 of 229 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$18 - US$38
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lazy lunches. Decadent dinners. Sublime shellfish. Hooked on the Rocks is a quick walk away from the bustle of Falmouth town and is all about beautiful, relaxed and fun dining experiences. We overlook Swanpool Beach, across Falmouth estuary and over to Pendennis Castle and St Anthony's Lighthouse. It's a spectacular setting whatever the weather, and we love to share it with everyone that visits. It's a view that inspires. And it definitely inspires the team down here every day and influences both our menus and our ethos.Hooked on the Rocks is the place for the best Cornish seafood and shellfish. Our chefs focus on the freshest fish, using whatever our fishermen have to offer that day. And we make sure it's sustainable too. We love Cornwall and we love fish and our aim is simple: to serve up great dishes that show off Cornish produce in a relaxed and friendly environment. Our ever-changing platters are a great way to try local shellfish, our crab and lobster tank is an old favourite for crustacean fans, but we always make sure we've got a few steaks on, and vege options too.Hooked on the Rocks is great for a morning coffee in the sun, a long and lazy al fresco lunch, or the perfect way to end a hard day out and about.
Cornwall
“Don't go unless you have plenty of time to spare......”
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Having booked a table against my better judgement (bad experience in Truro - but willing to try this new Indaba venture in Falmouth) we arrived at 8pm for our scheduled reservation. Unfortunately we sat and waited until 8.50pm before we saw the first bite of food. No explanation - just a long wait. The restaurant wasn't busy so it was difficult to know what the problem was. The food was nice but not amazing and the service was rather haphazard - more than one person dealing with us and dishes being stacked on the table etc. Not good.

The bill was on the high side for the quality of the food. Certainly the position of the restaurant might ensure it remains busy together with die hard Indaba fans. Unfortunately it underlined the fact that those local restaurants that do well generally have the owners on site fussing round - this didn't appear to be the case.

I hope they manage to correct the timings and service now and that the restaurant goes on to succeed. Only time will tell.

2 Thank Firethorne

Wannabee restauranteur
“Mindblowing - not to be missed.”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We had lunch in this idyllic location last weekend - the food was to die-for, the wine selection was fantastic (and my husband knows his wine so it is rare for him to be so impressed by the offerings!) and the service both friendly and efficient. I would recommend this to anyone visiting the area - both for the food and the views!

We had oysters to start as well as some fantastic homemade foccacia, followed by fish and chips (me) and tempura squid (my husband). The chips are something else and both came with some delicious salad.

It is good value for money and I look forward to trying out the incredible pizza oven during future visits!

Somerset
“Great location, food and service”
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Must be a different restaurant that we ate in from reading the one review listed! We were served by the owner who was very friendly and helpful, the menu had lots to choose from and the food was excelent. The only downside was I ordered a portion of the hand cut chips and there were too many for me to eat!! (but then again you shouldn't really order chips with your seabass and scollop on aspargus rissoto). View is outstanding and we found a shortcut from the town which only took us about 15 mins to walk. Will visit again and again.

Truro
“Never again”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Indaba Wednesday 4th March

This week is Mine and My Best mate Rachel's Birthday, We decided to meet for lunch at the new Indaba Seafood Restaurant in Falmouth. Now i've had a couple of bad experiences in the Indaba Truro, but the quality and staff have always been great, so was willing to forgive and try the new Falmouth Restaurant.

On arriving at 12.30 to almost empty restaurant, a young pretty lady looks at us awkwardly, Rachel says we have booked a table... I want to say to her "Hello, we are customers, in this new establishment, say hello to us and ask us if we would like to take a seat". An older sterner looking lady asks us to take any seat, informing us the the window seat are quite drafty and cold. Oh good we'll sit there then..Not.

My 19 month old son was eating with us, we hadn't been offered a high chair, So I asked for one.. to be told with no apologies that we don't have any high chairs, so I go out to my car and fetch a cushion for Eli to sit on.

Menus where bought over to us and left, except we were given 3 wine and no food menus. The staff were clearly inexperienced for a quality establishment, the kinda staff you would forgive in a low cost chain such as pizza hut. Limited facial expressions, no conversation, altogether pretty dull.

Our food arrived, and we tucked into three well presented, tasty looking meals, washed down by a perfectly chilled good white wine.

As I lifted a spoonful of Crab and Crayfish Tagliatelle to my mouth I saw a thick black 2 inch long hair looking at me. I look over at the chef to see a dark haired man with a beard preparing food, I realize that it is in fact a facial hair in my food, gross, now I want to gag.

The waitress is apologetic and removes my food, offering a fresh plate. As both Eli and Rachel had almost finished there food, i ask for just a starter size of tempura prawns instead.

Again the food arrives looking lovely, on a fresh looking salad with homemade chilli jam. I look forward to a hair free mouthful. And it is completely hair free and completely under cooked, just another 20 seconds would have done it, but sadly the prawns were raw in the center.

The head of house noticed that I obviously wasn't happy with the food. She apologies and offers a free desert but as I hadn't actually had a meal yet, desert wasn't going to work. We decided to call it a day and ask for the bill.

In defense of the Indaba, the produce is always very good quality and the food is always presented well, but sometimes the lack of attention to detail such as body hairs and under cooking happens when the staff are not to the same standard as the product being offered.

Good luck Indaba Falmouth, I think you'll need it, as there are far more good seafood restaurants in Falmouth than Truro.

1 Thank HMc71