“Always a fab experience”
Review of Pea Souk

Pea Souk
Ranked #84 of 243 Restaurants in Falmouth
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Phone 01326 317583 Propieter: Nicola J Willis - Open Monday to Saturday 10am to 5 pm Sunday 11 am to 4pm, Booking necesary and are taken for Monday to Saturday evenings only.
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Am a regular, mainly for lunch though I have been in the evenings. The food is always a joy. Cooked in small quantities, fantastic attention to detail with homegrown vegetables. I see that Nicola has stuck up for herself on one of the reviews below - good on her. Pea Souk is very small and I am always aware of this when I go in, there's no room for any messing about. Its intimate, informal and magical - you have to understand this to enjoy it!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

As an intermittent regular at Pea Souk I was surprised to read on this website that Nicola seems to have fallen foul of a few disgruntled diners, which I guess is because she's not that interested in obsequiously toadying to people who make no attempt to connect with the Pea Souk way of doing things. Pea Souk is very much her domain where the hostess and staff take a personal interest in their customers; where the food is lovingly prepared from fresh ingredients, not locally sourced from supermarkets, or catering vans; where the conversation isn't limited to 'enjoy' and 'have a great day', but in which there is genuine concern and interest in her clientele. I don't think there are many restaurants that really prepare their own food from scratch the way Nicola does, and the taste of her dishes is testament to the care she puts into everything she does. It is, of course, a very small restaurant and therefore by necessity Nicola has to accommodate everyone as best she can, and trying to own your own space at the expense of fellow diners is not going to work here. Try thinking of Nicola as a benevolent headmistress and you'll love it as I do.

3  Thank Harry S
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Arrived at 12:30 for lunch, not greeted upon arrival even though there was no one else in the cafe. Ordered chilli with potato wedges. A woman then appeared from the kitchen and abruptly told us that the wedges weren't cooked yet. My friend and I decided to do a little shopping and go back in half an hour. We went back and sat at a small table & took a spare chair from another table rather than take up the large table. The same woman from earlier then said we were to move tables with a lady that was sat on her own and said that she had to have complete control over the seating! She was very rude and at this my friend and I decided to leave and eat elsewhere. The man that was serving came after us and apologised! I've never been to an eating place and been spoken to in such a manner. My friend and I were disgusted and will not ever return. Shame because the menu sounded lovely. Unfortunately we didn't sample the food. This woman should not have any dealings with customers.

3  Thank FJS20
nicola s, Owner at Pea Souk, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Wow! This is one of the only reviews that I has prompted me to respond as it seems to contain quite a few fibs. You have twisted my words and portrayed this incident as something it really was not.

In order to remain a profitable business I have to exercise a tiny amount of order during lunchtime with regard to the seating. You chose to enter a cafe with 3 tables, most of my customers are switched on to this and they usually ask where to sit. In this incident, the lady on the table where you previously sat should have been asked to sit on the smallest table rather on a table that potentially seats 5 customers. I'm afraid its not really appropriate for the furniture to be rearranged at lunchtime just to seat 3 people, it would have made perfect sense for you to sit at the end of the biggest table.

In the 6 years I have been open I have always run my business how it suits me and, hence, I have managed to stay open whilst many others crash and disappear - the shortest in Falmouth being 2 months just this year. Your comment stating that I should not have anything to do with customers is extremely offensive but nevertheless its your opinion and you are entitled to it. One of the most rewarding parts of having Pea Souk is the friendships I have cultivated from repeat custom. I have customers that drive from the opposite end of Cornwall twice a week, customers that have visited me in hospital, that have thought of me on their holidays and returned with gifts and customers that return year after year whilst on holiday. I'm afraid that the era of 'the customer is always right' is over with this economy, I have never tolerated being dictated to by members of the public who arrive with a 'sense of entitlement' and 'expectations.' Of course, this is not palatable to some but I am of the firm opinion that its impossible to please everyone so i concentrate on what I do best.

Have a nice day.
Nicola

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We specifically went looking for Pea Souk because we wanted a veggie restaurant. The man serving was lovely and friendly and the food was delicious and there were loads of vegan options. We loved the informal atmosphere and the eclectic decor and furnishing. Very small and can't seat many which is a shame. Great cakes and flapjacks. We were having a lovely time except that a woman (the boss? Chef?) came out and glared at us and was decidedly unwelcoming. Made us want to leave as soon as we could. Which is a real shame because it is exactly the sort of place we love and we wish there were more places like it.... We hope it does well and we will definitely try it again when we return.

3  Thank Angulimala28
Reviewed 3 November 2013

AWESOME FOOD!
In Falmouth on holiday for a week and LOVED visiting this cosy, inviting and arty cafe. If I lived there I could very easily visit every day: Beautiful and colourful presentation; perfect portion size, and delicious flavours and textures, in addition to friendly and welcoming staff. Thank you :-)