“Customer service needs to be improved”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Customer service needs to be improved”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Fabulous hotel, fabulous location, wonderful food. Unfortunately more that a few members of staff could work on their customer service skills. The lady at check in did little to greet and welcome us. She made me feel like a nuisance for asking her questions regarding the facilities. I also dealt with a very condescending barman and waiter. Disappointing because I have always been very fond of this establishment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you did not experience the level of customer service that we know we are able to offer. I am not sure why we failed to deliver this to you during your stay but please be assured I have raised this issue with the relevant department Managers who will ensure that this is a one off.

We are usually praised very highly on our customer service and staff in general so I am very surprised by your comments. We do take this feedback very seriously however and will definitely follow this up with the people involved.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back so that you are able to enjoy the 4 star service we know we usually do offer.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
worcestershire
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We arrived on Tuesday & was shown our room, our room was booked as a twin so we said it should have been a double , The lady at the reception offered us a suite but was not connected to the hotel . it was only a 10 second walk to the hotel so we agreed & stayed in our new room. The room was fine, Clean bright with a sea view . The only two faults with the room was firstly the room was cold even with the radiators on. Secondly it took about 20 mins for the toilet cistern to fill with water.
The hotel bar was nice the staff were pleasant , the cost of the drinks were ok not to expensive. The breakfast was good the only fault i could find regarding the breakfast was the table was a bit small & the carpet could have done with a clean there was food stains everywhere.The hotel on a whole was average staff were as i said pleasant the room ok bed was clean & comfy ; If i was honest i would stay here again .
Although the restaurant food was a bit disappointing.

(ill leave that review under restaurants!!!)

Room Tip: If your going in the winter you may need a jumper to sleep in!! Noisy fan from outside too
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We do appreciate all feedback and we are grateful for the opportunity to focus on any areas our guests feel could be improved.

I have already spoken to my department Managers and they have assured me that your concerns will of course be addressed.

I do hope we are given the opportunity to welcome you back so that you can see have rectified these areas.

kind regards
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Booked in September for a nights stay with food for 1st December 2013. Food okay but we were not warned when booking about the Christmas parties. Our room, 31, had no sound insulation to the room above and we were kept awake until 3am! Then awoken before 7am, to vomiting from the guest above. Really not good enough, still trying to obtain a refund through Travelzoo. Please, please, install sound insulation between the rooms, this is meant to be a quality establishment!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 31, or possibly any on this floor, or you will hear eveything!
1 Thank bluehaze2013
I am so disappointed to read your review. Whilst I appreciate that the issues you experienced were not acceptable, I do feel that we did everything we could during your stay and once you had left to resolve the issues regarding your refund.

I appreciate that the noise issues were not acceptable during your stay however I hoped you would understand that this was an isolated incident and not something we experience often.

Having said this if a guest makes us aware we certainly will do everything we can to improve the situation.

Once again I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

First visit to this hotel and overall it was a very good experience, the room although one of the smaller rooms was clean and tidy, bed comfortable and bathroom was fine, although the shower seemed to take forever to get warm.
The bar area was nice and the staff always gave quick service with a bit of chat which was good.
I didn't eat in the hotel as we headed into town which was a quick taxi ride away, i guess you could walk it pretty quickly.
Breakfast was excellent again with good service, the only reason I have marked the stay down to 4 out of 5 is because the WiFi did not work in my room, now this was really important to me as I was working whilst away and needed constant internet connection.
The WiFi did work in the bar/lounge area perfectly so I had to use these areas which was not ideal but not the end of the world.
If the wifi had worked as advertised then I would have given St Michael's 5 out of 5, maybe next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JasonO1971
Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. I am also very pleased to be able to tell you that we have taken the necessary steps and have been able to resolve the WIFI issues we were experiencing.

I do hope this means we shall be able to welcome you back.

UK
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We arrived for Sunday lunch to find that there was no staff to show us to a table. Eventually someone turned up and we were given a good table with a sea view. Bread rolls were served fresh and warm. The starter was tasty and well presented. The roast main course was severely delayed for no stated reason. The carved sirloin steak was excellent, however the Yorkshire Pudding was severely overdone and the gravy was extremely salty with a skin on the surface (was it from a packet?). The “roast” potatoes were rather anaemic with no brown crisp surfaces. There was a further long delay in serving the dessert course. Crumbs were not removed from the table between courses.
Had the glitches described above been avoided the price for the meal would have been reasonable. As it was, we were of the opinion that better service and value could have been obtained at a local pub.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DigbyUk
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really do appreciate all feedback.

Whilst I am pleased to hear you enjoyed some aspects of your dining experience, I am sorry that there were some areas that fell short of the standards we pride ourselves in offering.

I have already addressed these issues with the relevant department Managers who assure me these are not issues they have been aware of but will of course take action to ensure they do not happen again.

I do hope we are given the opportunity to welcome you back to show you that we do usually offer a much better dining experience.

kind regards
Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We arrived to find no parking spaces at all.. we parked in loading one outside went into reception, the receptionist was on the phone she never even looked up to aknowledge us, we stood there for 10 mins while three other members of staff had walked past and completely ignored us too not the best start! Finally got a member of staff to talk to us she was quite rude we asked about the parking to which she replied well you will have to park on the road, in the end we parked in a neighbour hotel.
Got to the room which I have to say was beautifully decorated but freezing so we turned the radiator on an hour later room was still freezing.. went to reception she said have you turned the radiator on now im no plumber but that was the first thing we did!! About half an hour later a porter turned up ith a little heater informing us the heating had packed up in this room but they are fixing it??? We heard nothing more. The next day my partner went to reception to be told we can have another heater if we like!!! We decided to go for a swim etc... very nice clean area the lady on reception at the spa said the jaccuzzi isnt working because it was warming up?? I put my hand in it and it was boiling so not sure what happened there.. pool was very cold sauna was nice all very clean.
The restaurant I cannot fault.. the food was suberb and the staff were second to none very friendly helpful in particular a member of staff called Will he was amazing.
Its a real shame as the hotel is beautiful the decoration is lovely and the cleanliness is second to none just think its the staff (excluding the restaurant staff) that let it down to be honest.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback. Whilst I am pleased to hear you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, I am disappointed that there were areas that did not meet your expectations or our normal high standards.

Whilst I apologise that you were not greeted in the 4 star manner we pride ourselves on, I am surprised to hear your comments regarding our Reception team, as we are regularly complimented on our exceptional customer service. I have however spoken to our Reception Manager who has followed up on your feedback.

Regarding the difficulties you experienced with your heating, again I have followed this up with our Maintenance Manager who assures me that any temporary issues we had with one or two rooms are now fully resolved.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and I do hope we can welcome you back so that you are able to experience the high standards of service and facilities that we know we offer.

Plymouth
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here last weekend, booked months ago so got a good price. Hotel has a nautical theme, but is done very tastefully, not tacky, and the decor is great. Rooms are lovely with really good furniture, good quality and lovely condition. Great bathroom, nice toiletries. Didn't eat in the hotel as we planned to go into Falmouth, though I did look at menu and it looked a little expensive (for our budget) though going on the included breakfast the next morning, the food was great and good service. Used the pool, jacuzzi and steam room which were all good. Now that I'm home already looking to book another weekend next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We have had such lovely feedback about our new Winter menu and hope that during your next stay you do get to sample some of our amazing dishes.

Once again thank you for your kind words, we have some amazing post Christmas offers so book up quick!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
#9 of 24 in Falmouth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,077 reviews
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!