“New Year break 2014”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Corsham
“New Year break 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Absolutely superb service, wonderful menu, spectacular sea views. The staff were very attentive and helpful. The food was excellent, the room clean and well presented. In sum, a great hotel staffed by very capable people. Thoroughly recommended.

1 Thank Dave W
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Well, firstly may I wish you a happy New Year on behalf of the team here at St Michaels! Secondly thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are so proud to have enjoyed yet another New Year success and I am so pleased that you were able to see the New Year in enjoying the 4 star facilities that we offer.

We do hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

The location was excellent especially for families as you could walk through the grounds to the beach. The food was good and there was a comprehensive wine list although the cheapest was£16.00. The spa area was smart but busy as it is open to non- residents. The public rooms merged into one large area, so was fairly noisy at lunchtime especially with a wedding reception in the dining area. The view from the tables was lovely but spoilt by raucous laughter. We hurried our lunch and retreated to our room. Our room was a Select no 32. In the basement with a patio and direct access to the gardens. Good TV but no mobile reception in the room. The heating was efficient and the bed luxurious. There were plenty of staff, but the batman worked at full stretch. As it was a Twixmas break we only ate off the set menu. As it was our anniversary I would have like to try the al a carte but were never given the opportunity. As I prefer adult only hotels I am unlikely to return.

Room Tip: When booking check where the room is located. You do not want to be on the east side near the air co...
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from our stay at the hotel over Christmas and we had a great time. We arrived on the 23rd for a 4 night stay, from the cream tea on arrival to the lovely breakfast before we departed, we enjoyed every moment. The food was yummy, the service friendly and helpful. A special mention for Father Christmas and his Elf who delivered presents Christmas morning, a nice surprise. Fruit basket, cyclamen and biscuits in the room on arrival, a stocking stuffed with goodies left on the bed Christmas Eve, all helped to make our stay feel special.

The standard of service was high, although a few more staff serving Christmas lunch would have made the meal as good as the others.

Our room was warm and comfortable, kept very clean by Linda.

We didn't use the spa facilities, so can't comment on them, except they made a good job of my French nail polish!

We enjoyed it so much we are going back next year.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Well, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you! Thank you so much for your lovely review. It is the best reward for all of the hard work to know that it was worth it and we were able to provide such a lovely festive break for our guests. I am so pleased to you enjoyed your stay and all of the festive extras that we offer.

We do hope we are bale to welcome you back soon, maybe a visit in the summer so you are able to enjoy the beautiful Cornish beaches we are so lucky to be surrounded by!

Kind regards and thank you again.
Perranporth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Felt the need to come on here and review for the first time in my life. Stayed at St Michaels Hotel and Spa for two days and must say I enjoyed every second of it. Great facilities and the staff were excellent! Very welcoming and customer service was second to none, they really made the experience. Loved it. Would definitely stay again.

Bracknell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We went to St Michaels for an all inclusive Christmas break between 23rd & 27th Dec 2013.
The hotel is clean and smart. There are different grades of room but unfortunately their publicity material does not make clear what the differences are. We would have gladly paid more for a larger room with a sea view.
At times the staffing level seemed a little low for the number of people to be served, but staff were generally helpful and polite.
Food was very nearly fine dining, but the standard did drop for Christmas dinner. However the kitchen was able to redeem itself with a sumptuous evening buffet. Generally food was good.
Entertainment was laid on and enjoyed by all.
The hotel has a small spa which is quite acceptable.
Overall St Michaels is not flawless, but we would recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

16 of us have just spent a most enjoyable couple of nights at St Michaels. We had a really great night on Saturday night as we attended the party night. The meal was very good, service was excellent, we enjoyed the disco and we all went to bed bed exhausted but very happy. Breakfast was enjoyable and plentiful with lots of choice. We also used the leisure facilities which we found very good. Our rooms were on the small side but we thought they were really very nice, decorated beautifully and we certainly have no complaints. I found in the main that all the staff were helpful and cheerful. Margaret took care of our room very well. We have booked again for next year and are all looking forward to visiting again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Let's start by contextualising my review. I live between Cornwall and London spending most my time in the later and about 4 months of the year in the south west. I am a regular spa goer and work in design.

Taking out another gym membership in Cornwall is really not an option for me so I'm always on the hunt for short term memberships or pay as you go options.

I decided the St Michael was one of the better, more easily accessible and affordable spa / come gyms around. Some of the other options are a tad grim. For example the Falmouth Hotels pokey basement spa or the Penventon aka the hotel that time forgot, with its dirty pool, showers and penchant for neon lit fake Greek statues and over merchandising are not good. I found TR1 fitness in Truro to be the best gym option cause I can pay as I go and the St Michael gym doesn't give you that option.

I decided to use the St Michael spa as it seemed pleasant and clean. However since using it for over 6 months you can really see standards dropping. So I'm writing this review in the hope they can avoid becoming like the aforementioned competition that are trailing behind St Michael, but St Michael could easily fall to their level if they don't up their game.

It's apparent St Michaels is trying to go for an up market look and clientele, but to be at that level you must operate a tight ship at all times.

Ships / nautical is seemingly a running theme throughout St Michaels that, whilst I find it a tad tacky in terms of design, it's done pretty well. However if your gonna keep it looking good you need to hide all the tourist leaflets and other brands merchandising that can easily be kept under counters or in folders placed in guest rooms if guests need them. Then everything looks more unified.

The first thing that hits you in the spa reception is that the areas decor is totally ruined by a pokey small nail bar and a load of 'to buy' home spa treatments / cosmetics. Instantly the harmony and fluidity of the decor and class drops. Plus who wants to enter a spa and breath in nail polish fumes? St Michaels needs to decide if they're about a real spa experience or selling products. Please become more spacially aware and offer your clients more private treatment areas that will keep your reception, light airy and calm.

The price charge for a single use spa visit is about £10-00 and i stay for about 1-2hrs. So I don't mind the fee. However the cost used to encompass a courtesy towel. Not anymore. That's an extra £1. Silly really. A towel should be included in the main price, plus they should throw in a complimentary bottle of house filitered water with a poolside refill machine as this would make it feel better for the cost and bring it more in line with spas that St Michaels is trying to be like or compete with. The least they could do is put a water machine in the pool area or outside the sauna.

For those looking for a fitness pool this is not the pool for you. This pool is much more about relaxing. So avoid it if your trying to do serious lengths.

I find that the issues are very space centered. The spa is not big and 20 people using the facility makes it feel quite cramped. I advise calling before you go to check how busy it is.

I went a few days ago and it was insanely busy. Remember there is also a gym so the head count increases quickly. The lockers in the changing rooms were so busy that we had to wait around for about 15 minutes for one to come free. The changing rooms are so tiny and trust me the smell becomes quite intense. The space really need constant cleaning as some of the users are totally uninterested in cleanliness and other peoples experience so St Michaels need to try harder to keep their it well maintained at all times.

I think for a better user experience that's in line with the single use fee or membership fees, that are not cheap, they should consider capping the amount of users at anyone time or even try a rough booking system or time limits. Clients should really have a locker and you should not be queuing for one. There's sometimes issues with having to wait extortionate amounts of time to go in the jacuzzi, steam room or sauna that I mention in the next paragraph. It's just so silly to keep letting people in when it's full and it looks like plain old money grabbing over 'spa' tranquility. If St Michaels can't maintain an air of grace then they should not term the facility a spa as it goes against today's spa expectations.

One thing St Michaels can't do anything about is its guests attitudes to the space. Some people literally hog the facilities, especially the jacuzzi and steam room, for huge periods of time and care nothing for others also using the facilities. Not sure what can be done about this as you don't want any tacky, cluttering signage and you can't keep asking people to shuffle around. You can't get them to be clean either or to treat the spaces including the changing rooms with respect.

Anyway. The pool needs cleaning. There's debris sitting at the bottom of it. Also it would be good to clean the sauna and steam room occasionally throughout the day as people leave stuff in there and the slats become slimy if left un-wiped.
Again, regular staff attention will sort this.

So, bar the occasional over busy periods and the need for continual cleaning checks the facilities are quite good. Sauna and steam room are a good heat and the jacquizzis fine when you can get in. I recommend going earlier in the day for a quieter more tranquil experience.

The Outdoor deck is great, especially after a super hot sauna. Has a nice view and a relaxing air about it. Staff are nice too and some are very helpful.

Like I say I don't use the gym but had a look around it. Small for me with very limited price plans but there seems to be an extensive list of classes to attend that I have heard are good.

Kids are permitted at certain times and thankfully not at others as the kids I have rarely seen here with their parents were screaming and ruined the ambience.

St Michaels is a reasonable retreat but needs to improve certain aspects and raise standards if to have the competitive edge over other locals. Whilst they are not equipped to be at the standard of say the Scarlet they could most certainly learn some serious lessons from them about space use, quality, layout and design harmony ambience, customer service and what's included in the overall price.

I like St Michaels and will continue to use it unless standards continue to drop. I hope this review offers some advice for them to build on a currently good foundation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bobbyboysabout
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
#9 of 24 in Falmouth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,054 reviews
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!