“A bit disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at St Michael's recently with my two sisters to celebrate my older sister's 40th Birthday. I have a few comments to make - things that would really have made our stay much more enjoyable had we been given the information.

We were not told that spa treatments should be booked before our stay and so on our arrival we found that there were no appointments available for the whole weekend which was really such a disappointment because that's one of the main things that we wanted to do.

We hadn't booked treatments in advance because we thought that a weekend in January would be quiet. It really would have been very helpful if the staff when I booked had informed me of the need to book treatments. We then tried to just go and use the pool and sauna and were told that it was too busy and we would have to try again another time. So in the rain and the dark we resorted to wandering about in Falmouth while we killed time before dinner - not at all what we had planned.

Another disappointment was that I had informed the reception staff that the reason for our visit was the 40th birthday celebration - there was no mention of this on our arrival - it would have been nice for my sister to have felt the occasion was acknowledged by the hotel staff and that they were aware that it was a special celebration for us. It's little things like that that make a huge difference.

Staff were very off-hand. The whole booking process I found quite irritating, I think I called 3 times before I managed to successfully book our rooms, people didn't phone back when they said they would and I found it hard to understand the different packages and room types as they were not at all well explained to me.

On a positive note, the rooms are cosy and clean and the food was lovely - we really enjoyed our dinner and the breakfast was delicious. It's just a shame that the whole 'spa' element of our weekend didn't happen - it's not often that we get to go away together without our children. I said when I booked that we wanted to use the spa - could you make sure your staff advise people about busy periods and the need to book treatments so other people are not disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Emily B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Devon, UK
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is the third visit to St Michael's and the first review for Tripadvisor. I think the essence is summed up in the title of an earlier review - wonderful stay only just not perfect. I agree, but it is very close to perfection. I've given it a five star rating because I think it is such good value for money. We got a ludicrously good deal on booking.com for 5 nights B&B for two of us. I've paid more for one night in a London hotel.

The location is great - at the quiet end of Falmouth just across the road from the beach. You can go straight from the hotel for a walk along the coastal path. The dining room overlooks the garden and some of the coast. The rooms and hotel are tastefully decorated in aquamarine blues and greens. There is a comfortable lounge area overlooking the garden and a separate lounge with a TV. Best of all, there is a spa with a pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and treatment rooms. There is a well equipped gym, exercise room and spinning studio. The staff are delightful. The restaurant food in the evening is fine, although not as good as several of the restaurants within walking distance in the town centre.

For me, there are three areas that could be improved - one minor, two more significant. A minor detail is the toast - I know it's trivial but the breakfast is part of the holiday. This is brought when you sit down at your table. I have to say it looks like it has only had a brief introduction to the toaster and by the time you have had your cereal etc, it is cold. In my book, toast should be toasted and hot. Perhaps cooking your own toast as happens in many hotels would be better.

The second point is more problematic. This is our third stay and on each occasion we have been in one of the rooms 71-74. Unfortunately the floor above is very creaky and the pipework judders loudly when someone takes a shower. This time we gave up after the second night and asked to be moved. The hotel were very accommodating and did give us another room. This is noise issue such a shame because essentially it is a quiet and peaceful hotel but some sound proofing to deal with the noise of people walking above is definitely required.

Finally it is very difficult to get into fitness classes of your choice as the hotel also has a health club with many members. This can lead to overcrowding in classes and in the pool. The instructors are focused on regulars and there is no rating system for level of difficulty or pre-talk about how to adapt to the class if it is outside your comfort zone. I am quite fit but one of the classes nearly killed me. I recovered with a glass of prosecco in the bar.

In summary, I recommend this hotel. It is almost perfect.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter - but obviously more expensive. Avoid rooms 71-74 if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thepusseycat
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I should preface this review by saying I won two nights dinner, bed and breakfast in a business card draw, so apart from drinks, this was a freebie.

We had a double room in the Captain's House/ Lodge a few steps away from main reception. Whilst I can't really complain if they put us in the cleaner's cupboard as it was a freebie, the room was on the small side and if we were using it a a 'base' for a holiday and spending any considerable time in there, it was a bit on the poky side. Also, quite cold when the heating was off, intermittent connection to the hotel wi-fi and the bathroom was a bit spotted with mold in places, but then this was at the start of October and the decor looked like it had been refreshed at the start of the season, so maybe our timing wasn't great.

That's it, that's really nit-picking.

The standard of service was amazing. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some reviews that the staff would be a bit snooty (especially as on a freebie) but THEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER. A passing comment on arrival as to the purpose of our stay - the day between husband's birthday and our anniversary, was obviously noted as at dinner the first evening he was wished a belated birthday and at dinner the second night we were offered a complimentary glass of champagne each and then brought out an amazing chocolate dessert with 'happy anniversary' written in chocolate. All unprompted.

I had the middle day to myself so had a swim, steam and sauna. Very nice facilities and, again, helpful and welcoming staff. Then settled down in the comfy sofa room (which I think has a nautical name) off the bar with a book and a giant bottle of water for a couple of hours and was left to my own devices, not once made to feel I was taking up space or in the way.

The meals were delicious. Good, quality ingredients and I was even tempted by the oysters which I have about once every ten years. Worth the wait.

We were made to feel very special, even during busy periods of service. If we were looking to stay local but indulge in a luxury break, St Michael's would be high up on the list.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie K
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
What a lovely review, thank you so much! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced the level of service that we are known for. I agree, it is the "little" things that can make all the difference! We love nothing more than to make all of our guests feel welcome and special!

I appreciate your comments regarding your room. We have many rooms of all shapes and sizes. Admittedly some are smaller, however some are much larger and with amazing sea views and balconies. I would love to welcome you back and for you to experience one of our more spectacular rooms!

Once again I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and was able to fully relax and enjoy the hotel and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for four nights over Christmas on one of the special packages. We arrived earlier than the advertised check in time, and were able to use the hotel's facilities until our room was ready.

We had booked an upgrade to a superior plus room, and this was on the second floor with stunning views over the bay, two comfortable armchairs, and both the bedroom and bathroom were of the highest standard. We had a complimentary bowl of fruit on arrival, and on Christmas Eve we returned to find a Christmas stocking with various goodies. As part of the package a cocktail and cream tea were offered on arrival, but the lounge area does not have sufficient space to accommodate such an influx, and some people were left with nowhere to sit. I think that the management need to have a rethink about this, and maybe offer timed tickets for the cream tea when checking in to spread the occasion more evenly across the afternoon.

Our package included full English breakfast and dinner in the Stunning Flying Fish restaurant, overlooking the bay, and I have to say that the quality and quantity of the food and wine was outstanding, with a good choice at all times. The serving staff at dinner were absolutely superb - friendly, efficient and helpful, especially considering that they were working whilst everybody else was enjoying Christmas. There were some issues around staffing at breakfast, and as a result service was a bit slow; on the first morning we waited half an hour for toast, and it turned out that the poor chap had sole responsibility for serving toast to 70 guests. On Christmas morning we were greeted to breakfast with a glass of Buck's Fizz and Santa came round with one of his elves to present each couple with a lovely hamper of local produce - a nice touch.

I made good use of the spa facility, where there is a reasonable size gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. We also had treatments in the spa, which were very good, and competitively priced. As is usual with such facilities, people tended to hog the jacuzzi for far too long, and the swimming pool is uncomfortably full with even half a dozen swimmers, and even worse when children are in. The men's changing room is very cramped, and there are insufficient lockers. The lockers have an unusual combination lock, but strangely there are no instructions on how to use it, so you either had to go back to reception and ask for help, or leave it unlocked, which many guests seemed to do.

The gardens in front of the hotel are attractive, even in winter, but there is a severe shortage of car parking on site, and if you cannot find a space then the only alternative is to park on the street or the beach car park, and even in winter the streets were pretty full. The parking situation is not helped by the fact that the spa and restaurant are both open to non-residents, and we felt so fortunate to find a space that we left the car and made our way round the local area on foot.

Overall, an excellent hotel - not cheap but good value for money. There are some minor issues which need addressing, but I would still give five stars for excellence.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Another amazing Christmas review! Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed all of the Christmas extras, we believe it these touches that help make our Christmas breaks really special.

I welcome your comments regarding the areas that could be improved. We are aware of a few areas that need attention and will be focusing on these.

Once again I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Had lunch with a friend. Lovely menu with plenty of choice so found it difficult to choose. I opted for pigeon to start which was a rather large serving and then had a Caesar salad. Fresh flavours and well presented. The service was excellent and very attentive. Such a wonderful view of the gardens from the restaurant. We were so lucky to be there on a sunny day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your review, it is lovely to hear your enjoyed such a relaxing and enjoyable lunch. Its even better to hear the sun was shining for you!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wroughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon & stayed for 3 nights in November. We booked a back bliss massage each which was a new experience for both of us & very relaxing lasted 1 hour with hot stones. There are a number of different treatments available. We had free use of the large swimming pool, jacuzzi,steam room & sauna. There is also a gym & tennis courts. The hotel has a modern nautical theme to it. The restaurant serves lovely meals well worth experiencing.there is a lovely view of the garden & sea view from the restaurant. We had a lovely bedroom with sea view & had our own patio with table & chairs. It was a shame we didn't make use of it due to inclement weather. We walked along the beach & across the coastal footpath to Swanpool which has a cafe on the beach which was welcomed. We then walked along tunnel beach & into town which was quite a long walk. The only downfall was noisy guests above with hobnail boots all night! Also the health club is used by outside people who are paid members so the changing rooms get busy @ peak times.The rooms are also quite hot @ night for someone who is a fresh air freak! We would like to return one day. Distance to beach from hotel- through the garden over the road & you are there! Parking can be a problem & sometimes we had to park on the road outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Get one on the top floor to avoid being disturbed.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
StMichaelsHotel, General Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I am really pleased to see that you were able to enjoy so many of our facilities and the beautiful location we are blessed with. We hear from so many of our guests that our spa treatments really do help remove the stresses of daily life!! If you enjoy our treatments you might want to look at our spa inclusive breaks, they are excellent value!

We do appreciate that our parking can be a little difficult, however since purchasing the neighbouring Hotel we have opened up lots more parking spaces.

Once again thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cheltenham,UK
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

OK, this is a tricky review. I stay in a lot of hotels, everything from the very best to fairly low end budget options and I still can't quite decide what to give St Michaels. I've gone 4/5 here, largely due to the fact nearly all the staff I spoke to were absolutely lovely. I also got a reasonable deal from booking.com so can't moan too much...
Visited with the mrs in dec 2013 for a quite break from our little one for 3 nights. I suspect we got one of the worst rooms in the hotel: small, dark and a view of a flat roof and the back of a sail. North facing too, so very little natural light. It could also do with a lick of paint. I did spy a premium sea-facing room on the way up there though, and that was roomy, light and airy.
The spa is ok - a reasonably relaxing (small) pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The sauna was broken after the first night, so the spa experience wasn't amazing for the last two days, but it was ok. The gym is actually very good for a hotel gym and includes a proper free weights area and plenty of cardio equipment.
We dined in the hotel restaurant (the a flying fish) on the first night and it took an age to serve us. They had a big group in that night, so I forgave them a little. Breakfast was the same though - decent food and selection but a tad slow. The food in the evening was one notch below fine dining. The hotel itself is pretty nice, not as big as the pictures make it look, but fairly decent.
The saving grace were the staff - everyone was very warm and helpful (especially in the spa). They bump the place from 3 to 4 out of 5 and we finished the break feeling like we made a good choice. Maybe if we went at a less busy time we would have had a 5 star experience...

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
#9 of 24 in Falmouth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,077 reviews
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!