“Very Dissapointed !”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Castleton, United Kingdom
“Very Dissapointed !”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Having read the reviews I was expecting 4 star standards & a good experience . We stayed for 2 nights in Dec & were really looking forward to experiencing the Flying Fsh Restaurant , which is one of the few we have not dined at in Falmouth . Requested quiet room & one allocated fitted the bill . However this was smaller than a London city centre hotel brand hotel room & for comarable rice ! Bedside light not working & still not rectified 3 days later after reporting on chek in . Room dingy .Comfortale double bed & great sleep though . Parking not great as only several places & had to park on side street despite hotel advertising car park . Very disappointed on 1 st night - we prebooked tabe reservation for 8 pm however booking " got lost " between reception check n & restaurant . They were clearly not coping , indicated a 45 min wait . Having waited already for 15 mins to get served in bar we cut our losses & dined out in Falmouth - we know the town . The function for 80 navl base Xmas do was obviously their priority on the night & not residents ! To add insult to injury Reception were not professional in handling my feedback on the night . Because of this we chose to eat out the 2 n night . Breakfast was poor for 4 star standards . Poor choice on cold buffet & the hot buffet served only lukewarm food . Staff were clearly unhappy & made this clear to us on the 1 st night . I have worked in Catering fr ver 30 years so know how difficult this job is however have never heard such disloyalty . Will never recommend this hotel to our holiday letting guests for meals nor Sa because of this experience . Very Dissapointed for Falmouths reputation . Decoration was good in public areas , however carpets were threadbare in access to all bedrooms - couldn't believe how bad it was . They desperately need some refurbishment !

Room Tip: Talk to reception about the room that may suit your needs best & don't book the restaurant...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne Q
StMichaelsHotel, Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Whilst we appreciate your feedback, I am so sorry to hear you did not experience the high level of service we normally deliver. I am not sure about the details regarding your issues but will be spending time with the relevant Managers to resolve them and ensure they do not happen again. These are not problems we normally experience so I am even more apologetic that they occurred.

I appreciate you would not wish to return however I would like to invite you back so that you are able to enjoy a stay that is far better than this. We normally receive such good comments from our guests so I know we would be able to deliver this to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you like to discuss this.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband booked this hotel from reading Trip Advisor comments. The staff were all friendly and nothing too much trouble. The Wi Fi wasn't working and was sorted straight away. I had the best scallops ever and on the second night when I felt that they were not hot enough, they were immediately removed together with the chips without comment. I couldn't make my mind up between the garlic or chilli dressing so the waiter suggested that I have one with the chilli, which was great. I had a couple of spa treatments which were enjoyable, perhaps a little expensive. Our room was clean and tidy but small.

1 Thank LadyR2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are so proud of our Hotel and Flying Fish Restaurant it is always nice to hear such positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Very relaxing with very friendly staff. Bright and modern, not at all stiff and starchy but made to feel special and relaxed. Only downside was the number of non-residents using the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Should be dedicated time for guests to use these facilities.

• Stayed February 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have just enjoyed our second stay at St Michaels, this stay was our honeymoon. We ate at the hotel and enjoyed a superb meal, the quality of the food and service were first class. We had a slight issue with the heating in our room and the staff immediately moved us into a suite, they were all helpful and extremely friendly and we will definately will be back for a third visit!!!

Room Tip: I would suggest a suite as some of the double rooms are on the small side.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My daughter had an interview at Falmouth University so I booked the hotel online not sure what to expect. On arrival I asked if it were at all possible to have a free upgrade and no sooner asked but done. We had a lovely room with a sea-view and a bed to die for. It was the the most comfortable and sumptuous bed I have ever slept on. An issue was the free WiFi, which did not operate 100%. We had dinner at The Flying Fish and were immediately told that if we wanted certain things on the menu that there would be a surcharge, i.e. the steak and the seafood platter. The food was absolutely amazing, lots of wonderful fresh fish and the duck pate an absolute must. One downfall in the restaurant is the extremely slow service which I am sure can be improved upon but overall a thoroughly wonderful two night stay, and oh yes my daughter got an unconditional offer for the university which topped the stay off very nicely.

Room Tip: Ask to have a sea view room on top floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mummala
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Myself and my wife were given a one night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package for her Birthday and it was a very pleasant experience. Check in is after 3pm but you can use the facilities if you arrive early. The staff were helpful and polite. Our room was clean, comfortable and had a fantastic view over the beach and Falmouth Bay. In the spa/gym we only used the pool but there is also a sauna and Jacuzzi as well as the treatments in the spa proper. I had a look around the gym to find it was well equipped with modern exercise machines and also had a spinning room for those masochists! We just relaxed and enjoyed the food and ambience.

Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We were so excited to book a 2 day relaxation break away and we decided to book st Michaels as it looked modern clean and luxury.

When we arrived we were greeted and told the very basics.

Once we finally found our room on first impressions we were happy as we only booked a standard with no view and that's what we got it was a good size very clean and a very comfy bed.

After settling in we wanted to go for a swim so decided to check out the facility's the pool is good enough to accommodate the guests which I was expecting! we were not expecting half of Falmouth to be in it it was so busy we took one look and left to try again later on the day.
We went back to the pool around 6 pm it was still very busy but we decided to brave it and go in but we didn't stay felt very uncomfortable and the people in the hot tub were not coming out any time soon.

So next step our 3 course dinner we paid a fixed sum at the time of booking the room to include any selection from the winter menu. We arrived in the restaurant really looking forward to it as we are massive foodies my starter was muscles with bacon and cider it was out of this world my wife had soup it was very average. I ordered sea food platter and my wife steak for the main the steak was good quality but very under seasoned and warm not hot my seafood platter which is £25 was a tiny plate of very limited white fish and 1 oyster and 2 scallops that's it ! Very very disappointing especially for the price onto the dessert I had salt chocolate and my wife ice cream both were very nice. One thing to point out very long times with dirty plates in front of you before they cleared and the restaurant was not over busy.

We decided after dinner to get an early night 11 pm we retired to our room this is when it really ruined our stay after initially falling asleep we were woken every time somebody walked past the room floor very creaky also when anybody used the toilet or sink the pipes would clatter you can hear everything from the room above and they were active until 4 am this is both unpleasant for us and very in personal for the room above our room was on the end of the corridor so everybody going upstairs woke us up.

Then first thing this morning the chefs arrive put on the extraction bang we awake again we are above the kitchen so very bad night sleep such a shame when you are on a relaxing holiday. Also no wifi that end of hotel!

Breakfast was ok good selection don't go down to late you get the dregs.

On check out i explained about the gripes he said I should of phoned reception at 4 am so they could of investigated the matter I think this would if been embarrassing all round and very impractical at 4 am.

But the biggest thing that got me was when he presented the bill they had added on £17 on surcharges for having the fish and steak option on top of our £50 plus £38 drinks. This is not stated on the menu you cannot charge for something on top of a pre paid fixed price menu. Im so angry they have done this! so our bill just for one meal is over £100 I would say £50 is the maximum it's worth.

So all in all an ok stay I hate hidden charges on things you leave with a bad taste in your mouth.

Would I recommend only if you have premium room on an amazing deal no evening dinner and if you dont want to use the spa !

I must say we did have a good massage which made up for some if the bad bits.

Very over priced all round would like the surcharge back aswell.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank mowzer1988
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 23 in Falmouth
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!