“Filthy dirty hotel & terrible customer service”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 6 March 2014

As a travel writer, I make it my business to try to say the best things possible about many businesses in the hotel industry, unfortunately I cannot do this with regards to the St. Michaels Hotel in Falmouth, Cornwall.

This evening I visited the St Michaels Hotel for the first time in many years and sat down in the lounge to enjoy a pot of tea. Looking around, I was immediately struck by the filthy dirty carpet with stains and crumbs and dust all over it. The table likewise in front of me was dirty.

A footstool close by similarly had stains on it and then upon looking behind the sofa, I couldn't help but notice food waste on the floor and litter also on the floor (out of general sight).

I brought the matter to the attention of the lady serving us our pot of tea and asked if the rubbish could be removed, her reply exactly, "Oh really? Well, there is nothing i can do about it now whilst we have guests in here, it will have to wait until the lounge area is empty." Which to be perfectly honest with you, I thought instantly, what a dreadful attitude.

I will never go back to this hotel again. If this is what it is like in the public areas, goodness only knows what the standard of cleanliness is like in the bedrooms.

Would I recommend anyone to visit here? No. I've seen many hostels much cleaner than the St Michaels Hotel in Falmouth. It was truly filthy by any stretch of the imagination with staff attitudes to match. Any normal person would have instantly arranged to have the rubbish behind the sofa immediately removed.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark A
There are newer reviews for St Michael's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 3 March 2014

On our trip we thought it would be good to check out this place for a future lunch trip. Really liked the modern interior,comfortable and warm with pleasant attentive staff.
Checked out the menu and from what we could see and felt about the place it is a cert for a lunch there in the near future.
Easy free parking.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Our stay here was one of mixed blessings. Firstly the staff - great, friendly, helpful and accommodating - especially the restaurant team. The rooms were well equipped, clean and furbished to a high standard - we had 3 rooms during our 2 night stay....although you could clearly hear the other guests to the side and from above. The food was fantastic - fresh, local and really well presented - both breakfast and evening meal. Our problem was that they had work going on during our stay. Drilling out concrete floors at 9am in the room next to us wasn't great so we were a bit dismayed that the staff hadn't know this when they allocated our room in the first place. We were upgraded twice, finally to a room to our satisfaction, but a nice chilled bottle of wine left in our room as a complementary 'sorry' eased the pain of the inconvenience. The hotel has lovely cosy sitting areas tucked away, and lovely views over the beach and sea.

Room Tip: Upgrades are readily on offer so ask at reception when you book in
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had a lovely stay at this hotel on the 16 th feb..
We found the reception staff really helpful when we booked, lovely at check in and check out despite there being some very rude and tricky customers in front of us both times.
I had requested a quiet room and we were given a lovely quiet room tucked away and it was scrupulously clean.
The pool was quite busy but that can't be helped and the staff were again lovely and the changing areas clean and tidy.
We had a lovely meal in the flying fish restaurant- we experienced very good service but we did hear other people complaining about waiting times.
Breakfast was a little disappointing- you had to order anything other than the 'normal' and we had to wait quite a long time for our order. There was also nothing vegetarian on the breakfast menu but the porridge was lovely
Overall a lovely relaxing stay and we would love to come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, they will do their best to help
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
StMichaelsHotel, Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you very much for a lovely review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay here at St Michaels Hotel and Spa. We are currently reviewing our breakfast menu following feedback, mostly positive but with a few improvements like you say.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Only stayed one night but was given an upgrade to a huge room over looking the sea !
Everything was wonderful, the bed was sooo comfy shame we had an early start! Bathroom very nice and the products were very welcome.
Breakfast was very good,something for everyone, a full menu to choose from! Staff were very friendly and happy!
We did use the pool and spa but a little crowded as it was "tots time" when we went,but were told about it and decided to swim anyway.
The only down side was the parking..........not enough spaces.

Room Tip: Room 20 was very quiet and had wonderful views
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

What a lovely review, thank you very much. It is always nice to get such lovely comments from our guests. We have to agree, our beds are beyond comfy!

We do look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully for a few days longer!

Kind regards.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Sent valentines weekend here. What a great place...hotel as been revamped over the past couple of years and looks lovely. Comfy sofas for pre dinner drinks or coffee and relaxation time. We were really surprised to get a room with a superb sea view, having only booked a standard room.
2 slight complaints...our request for breakfast in bed was not taken (they collect your card from outside your room at 1am) ours was still there in the morning having put it out at 11pm. also we only had a choice of the valentines set menu and my partner had his heart set on a steak:(. My spa treatment was lovely..as always..breakfast was nice but had to hang about for sausages!! Overall a lovely hotel! The beds are super comfy!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Wow, another lovely review, thank you. It is especially nice to hear from guests who stay with us often.

I am sorry about the mix up with your breakfast order, I am not sure what happened but the Night Manager apologises for this error. Regarding the menu, we served this for our special Valentines Dinner so it didn't have all of our normal choices, I am sorry you didn't have the choice you would have liked. A good excuse to return maybe!

I hope you had a lovely Valentines and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Having read the reviews I was expecting 4 star standards & a good experience . We stayed for 2 nights in Dec & were really looking forward to experiencing the Flying Fsh Restaurant , which is one of the few we have not dined at in Falmouth . Requested quiet room & one allocated fitted the bill . However this was smaller than a London city centre hotel brand hotel room & for comarable rice ! Bedside light not working & still not rectified 3 days later after reporting on chek in . Room dingy .Comfortale double bed & great sleep though . Parking not great as only several places & had to park on side street despite hotel advertising car park . Very disappointed on 1 st night - we prebooked tabe reservation for 8 pm however booking " got lost " between reception check n & restaurant . They were clearly not coping , indicated a 45 min wait . Having waited already for 15 mins to get served in bar we cut our losses & dined out in Falmouth - we know the town . The function for 80 navl base Xmas do was obviously their priority on the night & not residents ! To add insult to injury Reception were not professional in handling my feedback on the night . Because of this we chose to eat out the 2 n night . Breakfast was poor for 4 star standards . Poor choice on cold buffet & the hot buffet served only lukewarm food . Staff were clearly unhappy & made this clear to us on the 1 st night . I have worked in Catering fr ver 30 years so know how difficult this job is however have never heard such disloyalty . Will never recommend this hotel to our holiday letting guests for meals nor Sa because of this experience . Very Dissapointed for Falmouths reputation . Decoration was good in public areas , however carpets were threadbare in access to all bedrooms - couldn't believe how bad it was . They desperately need some refurbishment !

Room Tip: Talk to reception about the room that may suit your needs best & don't book the restaurant...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne Q

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Whilst we appreciate your feedback, I am so sorry to hear you did not experience the high level of service we normally deliver. I am not sure about the details regarding your issues but will be spending time with the relevant Managers to resolve them and ensure they do not happen again. These are not problems we normally experience so I am even more apologetic that they occurred.

I appreciate you would not wish to return however I would like to invite you back so that you are able to enjoy a stay that is far better than this. We normally receive such good comments from our guests so I know we would be able to deliver this to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you like to discuss this.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!