“30th Birthday treat”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I went down for the night for my birthday, it was a fantastic mini break. We went mid week so was nice and quiet with a few people around using the facilities. The staff were excellent, upgraded our room and we had the most stunning ocean view. Massages were perfect and relaxing and the facilities were exactly as you would expect. The food was also fantastic, I would just like to request a couple more vegetarian dishes. But otherwise a superb stay and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have enjoyed many trips to St Michaels in the past year, The hotel staff can not be faulted ,they are all very polite and work very hard.
Many will be working until 11pm in the evening and you will see them back again early the following morning.

On my first visit to St Michaels which was a weekend break for my 21st Birthday i was upgraded to a premium room, It was very spacey, modern and clean.

On my next break I booked a cabins room not realizing the size - it was incredibly small.
Too small for my partner and i to both get dressed at the same time.
I would not recommend the cabin rooms.

On my last visit we stayed in the captains house in a much larger family room - with lovely views and outside seating.

The food is incredible and can not be faulted - all served in a glorious setting!
And spa facilities make the hotel a must stay for me!

Room Tip: Not the cabin rooms - too small
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights whilst working near Falmouth, service was great, room was modern, clean and tidy. Only ate breakfast at the hotel but that was also great.
Would definitely use again for business and or personal use.
The hotel rivals more expensive hotels I have stayed at around Falmouth.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I chose St Michael's as it was hosting a conference I attended. I nearly looked for alternatives as the price was above what I would normally pay outside London for a UK business trip. At the end of my stay I still consider it relatively expensive, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience that exceeded my expectations.
I had a lovely room looking over the terrace and gardens to the sea. The room was pleasantly decorated, spotlessly clean and had a large and extremely comfortable bed. I slept very well indeed. The weather was unusually hot, and the lack of an air conditioner in the room may have been a problem for some people. As it was so quiet (except for the gulls) I could leave the windows wide open to control the temperature. I had fast, free WiFi in my room and the hotel's public areas.
The staff were all friendly and efficient, and seemed to go out of their way to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. Breakfast, dinner and service in the restaurant were all very good, enhanced by the sea view.
There is a 14m indoor pool and an excellent gym. Unfortunately I could not use either due to an injury. I heard several people speak highly of the spa but I did not have time to try it. The hotel is next to the beach and the coastal footpath, and a short walk from the centre of Falmouth.
I was sorry to leave after three nights as it was a very relaxing place to stay. I would be very happy to stay there again, budget permitting.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are accessed via steep and narrow stairs. Check if you have a mobility problem.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We called into this hotel for afternoon tea and drinks after attending the sea shanty festival. Friends we were with recommended St Micheals and we were very impressed. First impressions of decor were very good. Loved the pastel sea colours and nautical theme. The lounge area was quiet and restful, very welcoming and a very pleasant area complete with large tropical fish tank set in a wall.There was lovely background music which added to the ambiance making it the perfect spot for us to enjoy afternoon tea.
I don't know why more people don't choose to go to this hotel instead of a noisy cafe for a relaxed afternoon tea/drinks. When next in the area we will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
StMichaelsHotel, Manager at St Michael's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review. It is always nice to discover somewhere new to relax and I am glad on this occasion it was us!

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Where to start, how about with the good stuff...good location near the beach, and town, lovely pool and facilities. Room, hot, cheap, staff were so rude when I asked why it was a non smoking hotel yet our window was overlooking the balcony of this couple who all they seemed to do was chain smoke and breath it directly into our room! The snooty "girl" behind the desk in reception said we cannot control the action of others in their own rooms! I though this was a pretty disgusting response seeing as they pride them selves on being a non smoking hotel.
Then there was the old lady serving behind the bar who seemed to get every drinks order wrong that was ordered, including ours which was just a simple glass of wine and a pint of lager, followed by a loud dialogue between her collegue about how tired she was and did not really care to be there. Not a pleasent conversation to over hear when one is spending what was meant to be a romantic anniversary treat! The food was ok, and breakfast nice. Will not be staying again, and as a local I used to recommended it to friends and family that were staying, shall not be doing that anytime soon unless the staff buck up there attitudes!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank water_travel2014

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Although it is disappointing to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, by highlighting these issues it does allow us to look at areas that may need improving.

I am most concerned about your issues regarding our staff, although these are not complaints we usually receive I will be looking into this to ensure all staff are representing the high standard we strive to achieve.

Regarding the smoking issue, as you say, we are non-smoking hotel and all guests are made aware of this prior to booking, at confirmation and check in, we also have no smoking signs in all rooms, so although we take several steps to ensure all guests comply with this policy we do on occasion have some guests that choose to ignore this. It doesn’t happen often but when it does we have procedures in place to follow up and ensure it is stopped. Although I understand the sentiment our Receptionist was trying to convey, I agree, this is not an acceptable response. Again, I shall personally be looking into this to ensure it is not repeated.

To allow me to investigate fully in order to improve these areas and focus on individual training needs, I would very much appreciate it if you were able to contact me to provide further information.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I spent three nights here to treat myself at the end of a holiday where I'd mainly been walking and staying in B&Bs. The location is lovely, it overlooks the beach and once you've got the hang of the local geography is only a short walk from the town centre (hint cut inland rather than walk along the sea front). Its a even shorter walk from Falmouth Town station which has a good service upto the mainline at Truro.

The rooms are nice with a comfortable bed and a generous sized bar. But for a four star hotel I expect a mini-bar or at least a small fridge and a decent Wi-Fi connection (it worked fine in the main building but less so in the Captain's House annex). However, I especially liked the public areas which include the restaurant, a bar, various seating areas and outside terraces. These benefit from the fact that it’s a Spa as well as a hotel which means it’s reasonably busy during the day and thus the bar is worth keeping staffed and open.

I ate in both the restaurant and the bar and the meals were good, although maybe the menu would become a little limiting if you were staying longer.

The hotel staff managed to avoid what might have ruined the final night after guests next door checked in and then left their dog barking in the room continuously. Fortunately they were able to upgrade me to another room very quickly after I'd complained, but I'm not sure what they would have done had there been no spare room available. I think the reception staff might need to be firmer concerning what acceptable with people checking in with pets if other guests are not to be disturbed.

All in all a very pleasant stay and a hotel I’d recommend, but one which with a few (cheap) improvements could be really good.

Room Tip: Avoid the Captain's House if you want decent Wi-Fi. The rooms upstairs in the main building whi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to St Michael's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!