“I will be back!”

St Michael's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 17 July 2014

From my arrival, which was a few days to visit my brother who lives and runs a great business in Falmouth, I loved St Michaels. The view from the restaurant terrace, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, would be difficult to top. Check in at reception was quick, and after a 7 hour drive, it was no trouble for me to leave my luggage at reception, they would take it to my room. Parking at the hotel was fine, good signage, but my sat nav postcode for the hotel, which is published, took me right there anyway. I stopped the car just before the turnoff to the hotel to have a look at Gyllyngvase Bay. A magic view, worth stopping for.

I was lucky to have room number 9 in the Captains House, an annexe, a few steps up from the main reception, but which had the most amazing view out over the beach and sea beyond. attention to detail in the room is worthy of remark. Nautical, but not overly overt cues in the soft furnishings, pale blue and white, someone has worked hard at this, a wickedly comfortable bed that I enjoyed for 4 nights, crisp white linen duvet, unobtrusive cleaning staff. I slept so well.

Breakfast offer great, just coffee and toast for me, but full English (or Cornish) available. I didn't eat in the hotel in the evening, so can't comment.

Room Tip: Don't know about other rooms, but whilst not cheap, if you have the chance to stay in the Captai...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived as a couple on the 06/07/2014 until 14/07/2014 from the first day until the last we were made to feel at home nothing was to much troulble all of the staff are very nice and most helpful Bernnie & Barbra are very afficeient and hard working we think Bernnie could run the hotel single handed,
The food is good the room was very comfortable this is in our opinion one of the best hotels in Falmouth if not Cornwall for price quality and value for money.
This was our second time this year we have been and we hope to rebook again for september,
fantastic keep up the good work,
The only down side is parking as they have weddings and people useing the gym & spar who take up parking spaces,

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice ,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank painterman2
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Let's accept that in this remote corner of Cornwall there are no Hiltons, Marriots, or even Holiday Inns. What you have available are a selection of ancient, semi-restored Inns and spas that date back to the early part of the last century, In that grouping i expect that the St Micheals is as good as any.

My big issue was with the bathroom. No storage on the sink. A horrific shower experience in a ratty old tub- spray hits you right in the face. Exhaust fan is a joke.

Other stuff.

No in-room refrigerator, or honor bar. No ceiling fan- even though the weather here is cool at night, a fan would be nice. Ratty old carpet should be changed out as well.

In short for a lodging experience where the rate in USD for two people crowds $400 a nite, the accommodations are a bit spare.

As mentioned in the header, the Flying FIsh restaurant is topshelf and deserves all the accolades it get. The staff at the hotel is also topshelf.

Bottom-line, if your travel plans include southern Cornwall this is as good a place to stay as any. Just dont expect too much.

Room Tip: We stayed in # 20. Cant recommend it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Excellent room with sea view. superb food and very good facilities. The beach is within walking distance through the hotel ground. The beach is sandy with an excellent café/restaurant on the sands with the best food I have had for ages

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for one night in June and fell in love with the place. Staff were all helpful, food fantastic and the room well presented. We used the spa, and the missus had a thoroughly enjoyable massage, which she said was the best ever.. We will no doubt return!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The old part of the hotel (once a Best Western) was nicely kept with large rooms, serving a lovely breakfast, and a great view from the solarium.
Reasonably priced and only a short walk to the beach This is beautiful country and believe it or not Palm trees. We all want to return!

Room Tip: Ask for room 101 or201 nice view. Also eat at The Flying Fish the Hotel's dining room for at le...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank virginia495
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I live in London and very last minute decided to book a long week-end in Falmouth; St. Michael's Hotel were brilliant on dealing with my enquiry from my first phone call to them last Wed. I packed my bag and set off on my 7 hour drive from London to Cornwall, and after 3 nights at St. Michael's, I feel like I've been away a week, if not longer. The reception staff were all helpful and accommodating, and made me feel welcome. My room in the Captain's House was terrific-spacious and quiet. The only minor complaint I had was that the water in my shower wasn't draining properly, so I was standing in a pool of water the 1st time I took a shower but once I brought this to reception's attention, they arranged for Maintenance to have a look the following day and he seemed to fix it somewhat-apparently the pipes are narrow which makes the draining of the water a slow process. Never mind. That problem was so minimal. My bed was comfortable and I loved waking up and falling asleep to the sound of seagulls......it was a great beach break! The food in the restaurant was amazing and they were happy to cater to my dietary needs. I had an amazing break and will definitely be returning before the end of the Summer.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper or prefer a quiet night, I'd recommend the Captain's House as it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo