“Could be better”

Penmere Manor Hotel
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed in room 24 for one night on a business trip. Room 24 is a very pleasant room and is comfortable. There are some areas that need minor attention to detail eg there is evidence of rust on the ceiling of the shower cubicle and there is inadequate sealant around the bath collecting mould. Unbelievably the bed sheets on the bed were too small and barely tucked in eg double sheet on a king size bed. I had to go to reception to get bar staff to attend for service at the bar. There were apparantly plenty of staff but they were all talking in the kitchen rather than being at their posts. I did not eat from the restaurant menu as I was uninspired by the choice considering it was a one rossette restaurant. The meal I fancied was lobster but needed 12/24 hour notice a bit difficult when staying for one night. Then my next choice, sea bass, was not on as it had been substituted by salmon. Considering Falmouth is by the sea then a wider choice of sea food would have been welcome. In the end I decided on Cornish mackerel as a main from the bar menu. It was edible BUT it was the two smallest mackerel I had ever seen and the salad may as well have been out of a bag. I expect more from a kitchen that has one rosette. Cooked breakfast is not officially available until 07.30 and not sure why this is although I was accomodated without too much fuss. I want to get in there at 07.00 and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. There was no red bush tea available: even Premier Inn has this as a standard choice. The sausage of the cooked breakfast was tasty apart from the heavy duty skin that held it together which involved dissecting the sausage before eating. At check out I had to ask for my best western diamond member discount to be applied. I would also observe that the difference between a single room and a double room for single occupancy is £20 while at every other BW hotel I have stayed in it over the past 3 years it is £10. So in conclusion a lovely traditional hotel feel with better tahn average facilities but on this occasion was lacking in finesse in the restauant and bar and not paying enough attention to loyal patriots of the best western client base.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We arrived fairly stressed with two young children and a tight turn around to get back out for a wedding. We had already received assurances via email that they would accommodate our early arrival and they didn't disappoint. The staff made every effort to make things as easy as possible and we were also very impressed with our spacious family room. The following day the staff continued to go above and beyond even to the point of giving our very fussy 2 tired two year old olives for breakfast!
I can honestly say that this has been the best service we have ever recieved which made a potentially stressful stay a real 'holiday'!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Penmere Manor is an excellent hotel set in nice gardens,nice staff,good food comfy bed - swimming pool, jacussi and sauna and fitness room. A lovely place to stay at any time of the year. This is an ideal spot to explore Falmouth or other Cornwall- I went to the Eden Project at St. Austell

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I didn't stay in hotel much as was generally working. Spa was shut, I presume for refurbishment but imagine in summer would be very nice.
Hotel has a very 'old fashioned' view about it.. Set away from town. Car park was quite overgrown. My room was a very large family room with a great shower. As it was quite far there was no wifi coverage (room 27) but was very spacious.

Dinner seemed quite expensive but didn't try it, there are also bar meals. Breakfast was great (best bacon I have tasted recently) but if it's not incl in room rate I wouldn't pay extra.

Some strange decoration around the hotel incl a dolls house (no idea why).

Would I stay again - yes
Would I recommend - as long as you didn't want to be v. Close to beach or town then yes

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed a couple of weeks ago. There was a mix up with the room as a best western rewards customer I should have had the free upgrade to a superior room and they had put us in a standard however problem was rectified in minutes.
True some of the decore and spa are a bit dated but its not too bad . The breakfast is excellent and you will not go hungry. Its quiet and peaceful good parking only 5 minutes from the centre of town by car. Will stay again . Very good value

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our first visit to Penmere Manor was very pleasant. Our room was warm and comfortable with nice views over the gardens. The food was good, the staff excellent and we made good use of the leisure facilities.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just back from our third stay here. The staff are really excellent - very helpful and actually engage in conversations rather than just meaningless pleasantries. We stayed in Room 10 - one of the three dog friendly garden rooms - and it had just been refurbished. These rooms are a very good size and open directly on to the garden. The rooms are pleasantly decorated and equipped. The hotel is in a good location a few minutes from the main roads in Falmouth and 5 minutes drive from Pendennis castle and the beaches.
To make it even better I would like:
Decent speed internet - although it's free it is diabolically slow. This may be the line going in to the property or possibly the way bandwith is allocated to each area.
Security - being a paranoid urbanite I find it strange that the doors to the guest areas don't have any sort of security on them.
Art - there are plenty of tasteful pictures around but they are all Mediterranean scenes - local Cornish art would be nice.
These are minor points though - the hotel is in a great setting with extremely hospitable staff. We'll certainly return.

Room Tip: There are 3 garden rooms designed for guests with pets - these are large rooms away from the main bl...