Having stayed here several times over the last 30+ years including our honeymoon. In recent years we have slowly watched this wonderful hotel get more and more tired. On arrival, we entered the front door to an empty reception area. A few moments later, without a word a gentleman appeared and walked past us without a brief hello or welcoming smile. He then entered the reception desk area, still without expression and took our details. We were asked if we would like help with our bags, but didn't accept as we were only staying for one night and didn't have a great deal to carry. A warmer welcome would have been much nicer. Our visit saw some great improvements. The lovely new decor downstairs in the public areas has a much more updated and welcome feel. Our room was nicely decorated with new carpet and curtains, a nice sized dressing table come desk and appeared to be nicely cleaned. A good selection of tea, coffee and hot chocolate was available in the room? One thing that let this lovely room down was a very tired and faded sofa . The bathroom, on first glance seemed clean, but looking closer there were a couple of hairs in the bath and the bath taps needed a good clean around the base. This wasn't major, but shouldn't be there. There were some very nice complimentary toiletries available if required. The towels were wonderfully white and fresh and plenty if them. the bedlinen was beautifully laundered white cotton. it was great to see that the old bedspreads had been disposed of and just a clean white fresh duvet spread across the bed. The room, being a deluxe double has patio doors onto a balcony. It wasn't the most scenic outlook, but did give somewhere to sit in the fresh air on a warmer day. On arrival for dinner we were served an excellent meal. The food was served efficiently by excellent and attentive waiting staff. This was piping hot and to a very high standard. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and plenty of them, probably a few too many. It was probably the best meal for several years. The main meal was followed by an equally excellent chocolate pyramid pudding, my choice and really delicious. These waiters continued to work extremely hard throughout the evening and nothing was too much trouble.The next morning we arrived for breakfast and were given a warm welcome. A wonderful selection of cold breakfast was displayed on a central table and looked wonderful. On a separate table a toaster was available to help yourself. After placing my bread selection in the toaster, the waitress very kindly said she would bring it to our table. Both of us chose the Cornish breakfast and waited eagerly for it's arrival. What a disappointment! It wasn't very hot. The bacon looked like it had been boiled and the sausage was just a herby version of a supermarket sausage. Understandably, you can't please everyone with the way the bacon is cooked, but it was so pale and unappetising. My egg had been cooked, but was so runny, it was almost raw on top. Certainly not what I expected from a Cornish breakfast. Ketchup was served if required from a bottle, not a more hygienic sachet. What a difference from our evening meal the night before, so much improvement needed here. With so much wonderful local produce available around here, this breakfast could have been amazing. It's the one thing I look forward to in an overnight stay at a hotel, is having a high quality cooked breakfast served to me instead if cooking it myself. Unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy this poorly cooked breakfast. Apart from this, which I'm sure can be improved, all in all we had a good stay. Just a little attention needed to some minor details. We will be back next year and hope we will be served a hot proper Cornish breakfast. Well done to the new owners for the many improvements so far.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine your perfect holiday - a privately run Cornish Hotel, with far reaching views across the stunning Falmouth bay, South Cornwall. The Merchants Manor is unpretentious and yet wonderfully individual and provides the perfect base from which to explore the Cornish Riviera. Merchants Manor offers friendly and professional service and the kind of efficiency you would expect from a luxury Falmouth Hotel. Whoever you are or whatever you're looking for, whether that is a family holiday, a hotel perfect for Weddings in Cornwall, Merchants Manor is just fitting for all your needs. Come and enjoy attractive accommodation, good food and service reminiscent of a bygone era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotel.de and Evoline ltd so you can book your Merchants Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Green Lawns Falmouth
- Green Lawns Hotel Falmouth
- Merchants Manor Falmouth, Cornwall