“Wot, no lunch!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Merchants Manor
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Falmouth
“Wot, no lunch!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We thought we'd spoil ourselves and go out to lunch. Aware that the hotel had undergone a recent refurbishment we called to reserve a table. On our arrival we were directed to the restaurant and were surprised to find it unoccupied even though it was 1.00. We were seated at a fully laid table and given one menu. I write menu but in fact it was a small folded piece of card detailing a selection of sandwiches. I told the waiter that we actually wanted lunch as opposed to sandwiches, to which he replied that was all that they served at lunch times. I asked if that was the case, then why had we been seated at a table which was fully laid for a three course meal? He said that when we had ordered our sandwiches the cutlery and wine glasses would all be removed? Dooooooh!
Correct me if I'm on the wrong track here but surely when we originally called to make our table reservation the receptionist should have had the were with all to advise that only snacks were served at lunch times and not 'lunch' in the accepted terms? It was a great disappointment and no wonder it was empty. Needless to say we didn't, and neither were we encouraged to stay. Instead, we had a very agreeable lunch at st michaels.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shashvisits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel whilst working away on business and found it to be of a nice standard however the hotel was in the middle of being redecorated and I was placed in the ''old side'' in which the showers did not work properly and I would describe the water pressure as a dribble. I was also a little disappointed with the spa area in that it was very old fashioned and is probably on their to-do list of redecorating! Overall the breakfast was lovely and apart from the weak shower, the room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. I also found the hotel to be very quite and I had an excellent night's sleep.

Room Tip: ask to be put in a room on the ground floor - the showers are better and rooms more modern.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night for a family gathering, and didn't use the pool which was a shame.
Overall found the staff to be very helpful and attentive and the hotel thoughtfully managed. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished at the moment, but our room was clean and comfortable. Thought the evening meal and breakfast we had was lovely and we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Booked the Merchants Manor as unfortunately the previous hotel we stayed at in Falmouth was unavailable.

I was looking forward to staying at the manor, particularly for the pool and spa. Unfortunately, the spa is out of action at the moment and the pool facilities were very dated....

The room was fine and the bed comfortable, however it must be said that there were some niggles.

1. The shower was terrible! This was said to be down to their water pressure system? However, the shower was underpowered and like a dribble - not a great experience.
2. I question how thoroughly the room had been maintained/cleaned as I had one pillow with a pillow cover and three without? I made sure to sleep with the one with!
3. Didn't get to experience the gym as I believe someone may have had an accident when I came down here early in the morning. However, I was quite rudely sent away from here (whilst I was oblivious to the situation) which wasn't really appreciated.

Overall I can't say I would stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Karena-macarena
Falmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My friend and I went to visit the hotel for a swim and some lunch one afternoon, when we arrived we didn't have a very warm friendly welcome by the receptionist which made me feel slightly uneasy to start with. We then found our way to the swimming pool which we were do shocked at, it was very dated considering the rest of the hotel is lovely. We found it to be very dirty especially the very small change rooms with small lockers that locked and wouldn't open!!!!!! The hair dryer again dated and you couldn't use too long as it got too hot!! I did mention this to the receptionist who said the lockers were being sorted! I would recommend spending some money on the pool and change rooms then maybe it wouldn't let the hotel down!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michelle848
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Merchants Manor in January. The hotel was in a very convenient location and the service we received was excellent. The staff were so very friendly, the room was excellent and the breakfasts were superb. We would definitely stay there again should we venture down to that part of Cornwall. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Roast Beef with Yorkshire puddings and vegatables WOW! this was probably the best ever roast beef I have ever eaten, perfectly cooked, pink in the middle, tender and juicy we all eat in blissful silence with the occasional uuummmm. Highly reccomend the roast.
The service was fantastic, the whole place was clean and fresh, it has had an amazing make over.
Some of my friends were staying and said the breakfast was very good and the rooms were very comfortable. Well done to the management and staff. Brilliant

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends