“5* and over!”
Review of Merchants Manor

Merchants Manor
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I had a presentation evening at the Merchants Manor and discovered a real beauty in the heart of Falmouth! We had a very warm welcome and the room for the event (the library) was prepared with very good taste. The antique furnitures and old books ( including an amazing coffee table made with antique books) added a magic touch.The nibbles and fingers food divine and so well presented that you wouldn't want to eat and served by professional and smiley members of staff.
If you are considering any event this is no doubt the place to hire.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just come back from a two night stay at the merchants manor and loved it.
The room was clean, very comfortable and the sea views from the large bay window were lovely. The jacquzzi bath was a nice surprise. The shower wasn't the most powerful but there was plenty of hot water.
The breakfast was delicious with loads of choice and the sea view from our table was a nice bonus.
The hotel is ideally located to either walk or take a very quick taxi ride to the centre of Falmouth as well as the sea front (the hotel were always able to call a taxi promptly for you and advice on places to go).
While the swimming pool decor is dated its clean and well maintained and the pool is a nice size.
The best thing about the hotel is the staff. Every single one from the owner to the night porter was helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for us and the other guests

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We thought we'd spoil ourselves and go out to lunch. Aware that the hotel had undergone a recent refurbishment we called to reserve a table. On our arrival we were directed to the restaurant and were surprised to find it unoccupied even though it was 1.00. We were seated at a fully laid table and given one menu. I write menu but in fact it was a small folded piece of card detailing a selection of sandwiches. I told the waiter that we actually wanted lunch as opposed to sandwiches, to which he replied that was all that they served at lunch times. I asked if that was the case, then why had we been seated at a table which was fully laid for a three course meal? He said that when we had ordered our sandwiches the cutlery and wine glasses would all be removed? Dooooooh!
Correct me if I'm on the wrong track here but surely when we originally called to make our table reservation the receptionist should have had the were with all to advise that only snacks were served at lunch times and not 'lunch' in the accepted terms? It was a great disappointment and no wonder it was empty. Needless to say we didn't, and neither were we encouraged to stay. Instead, we had a very agreeable lunch at st michaels.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shashvisits
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel whilst working away on business and found it to be of a nice standard however the hotel was in the middle of being redecorated and I was placed in the ''old side'' in which the showers did not work properly and I would describe the water pressure as a dribble. I was also a little disappointed with the spa area in that it was very old fashioned and is probably on their to-do list of redecorating! Overall the breakfast was lovely and apart from the weak shower, the room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. I also found the hotel to be very quite and I had an excellent night's sleep.

Room Tip: ask to be put in a room on the ground floor - the showers are better and rooms more modern.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night for a family gathering, and didn't use the pool which was a shame.
Overall found the staff to be very helpful and attentive and the hotel thoughtfully managed. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished at the moment, but our room was clean and comfortable. Thought the evening meal and breakfast we had was lovely and we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Booked the Merchants Manor as unfortunately the previous hotel we stayed at in Falmouth was unavailable.

I was looking forward to staying at the manor, particularly for the pool and spa. Unfortunately, the spa is out of action at the moment and the pool facilities were very dated....

The room was fine and the bed comfortable, however it must be said that there were some niggles.

1. The shower was terrible! This was said to be down to their water pressure system? However, the shower was underpowered and like a dribble - not a great experience.
2. I question how thoroughly the room had been maintained/cleaned as I had one pillow with a pillow cover and three without? I made sure to sleep with the one with!
3. Didn't get to experience the gym as I believe someone may have had an accident when I came down here early in the morning. However, I was quite rudely sent away from here (whilst I was oblivious to the situation) which wasn't really appreciated.

Overall I can't say I would stay again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Karena-macarena
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My friend and I went to visit the hotel for a swim and some lunch one afternoon, when we arrived we didn't have a very warm friendly welcome by the receptionist which made me feel slightly uneasy to start with. We then found our way to the swimming pool which we were do shocked at, it was very dated considering the rest of the hotel is lovely. We found it to be very dirty especially the very small change rooms with small lockers that locked and wouldn't open!!!!!! The hair dryer again dated and you couldn't use too long as it got too hot!! I did mention this to the receptionist who said the lockers were being sorted! I would recommend spending some money on the pool and change rooms then maybe it wouldn't let the hotel down!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends