“No Dogs again!”
Review of Glendurgan Garden

Glendurgan Garden
Ranked #3 of 62 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Lose yourself in the three valleys of Glendurgan Garden - full of fun, natural beauty and amazing plants. Discover giant rhubarb plants in the jungle-like lower valley and spiky arid plants basking in the sunny upper slopes. Wander through the garden down to the beautiful hamlet of Durgan on the Helford River: a place to watch birds and boats, skim stones and build sand-castles.Find a boat-seat, gigantic tulip-trees and ponds teeming with wildlife. Learn about the Fox family who created this 'small peace [sic] of heaven on earth.'
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is an unfair review because we were unable to get into these gardens because we had our dog with us. We had visited Trebah and thought it was stunning and so wanted to see Glendurgan as well.
I just don't get The National Trust. Trebah was busy with people with and without dogs, there was absolutely no problem. Glendurgan, by comparison, seemed empty (going by the car parking). The man at the desk was abrupt and officious "No Dogs in this garden" and that was that! Turned away from yet another N.T. garden because we had our dog with us. National Trust members don't abuse facilities. They clean after their dogs and I have never yet seen a dog badly behaved at the few places that do admit them.

4  Thank justoneluke
JonODonoghue, Manager at Glendurgan Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear justoneluke,

I'm sorry that you were disappointed not to be able to visit Glendurgan with your dog. It's always worth checking the members' handbook before you set off just to be sure.
The decision whether or not to admit dogs into gardens is a local decision rather than national so each National Trust place needs to make that decision based on what is right for the garden. In Cornwall Godolphin and Trengwainton gardens admit dogs on leads.

Although Glendurgan doesn't admit dogs we have miles of woodland valley and coastal walks on land that we care for in the surrounding area. Dogs are welcome to explore these and in most cases can run free without needing to be on a lead. This is the case with much of the coast and countryside the National Trust cares for and as members you'll enjoy free car parking at these places.

My colleagues in the garden entrance are always happy to recommend local dog walks and have free walking guides to give out. Or if you prefer you can also download them from our website. I'm sorry that you found my colleague officious - this is unusual and not acceptable so I will investigate further. We pride ourselves on our service to visitors here and many other reviews on this site are testament to this.

There are more details on bringing your dog to our places on our main National Trust website.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We visited Glendurgan on a Sunday afternoon, the gardens are beautiful and the walk to Durgan beach is lovely. The maze is amazing I am sad to say I didn't complete the maze due to lack of time but it is great fun.

Dear Mary P,

Thank-you very much for coming to see us at Glendurgan and posting your review. We're very lucky to have such a delightful little village and sheltered beach at the bottom of the garden.

I hope that you'll be able to come back to Glendurgan and celebrate completing the maze - I can particularly recommend the end of October for autumn colour or late April / early May for bluebells and scented flowering shrubs.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The Helford river valley forms the core of this enchanting National Trust garden. The slopes provide shelter from the wind and there is a charming easy walk to a small pebble beach and Durgan village, returning to the garden's entrance by a pathway on the opposite side to the one taken previously. This time there is a choice of either a steep path or an easier one for the less able.
On the way down there are beautiful views of the valley with the sea beyond. Look in at the the school house on your journey down to the sea.
Make sure you try the maze! Really good fun and not over challenging. There is a way out signposted if you get really desperate!
Wheelchair and pushchair users are catered for.
A really good, relaxing few hours enjoying what nature has to offer.

Dear hatmanBanstead,

It's very kind of you to take the time to review Glendurgan after visiting us - thank-you very much. I'm sure your review will be useful to future visitors.
I'm glad to read how you enjoyed the maze in its 181st year at Glendurgan - it has timeless appeal for visitors of all ages.
Although given the steepness of the valley some of our visitors struggle with pushchairs or wheelchairs I'm pleased to read that you felt they were catered for. We do all that we can given the topography of Glendurgan to make sure as many people as possible can enjoy this peaceful valley garden.

Thank-you again for visiting and reviewing us.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Lucky to have picked dry warm day for visit..Am N T member and have visited most gardens in the area.i would rate this one very highly.There is a lovely walk down through the gardens with great views on the way which eventually leads onto a pebble beach.The pathways are all very good and there is no need to wear walking shoes etc.what is nice about this garden is that there is play areas for children.e.g.The Maze,a rope swing plus the beach.We didnt find the teashop overly expensive and all prices are well displayed on the board at the counter.If i was to compare Glendurgan to Trebah which is just along the road Glendurgan would be my choice.Both are not very big but Glendurgan just felt better and we spent a lot longer there.

Dear Dave B,

Thank-you very much for not only your support through membership but also for visiting us and taking the time to post a review. I'm glad you rate Glendurgan highly and it sounds like you've enjoyed all the highlights of Glendurgan: the natural beauty, the views, the beach and the features such as the maze and Giant's stride swing - both of which were installed by the Fox family long ago to entertain their many children.

As a local I enjoy working at Glendurgan but also visiting nearby Trebah - we're very lucky to have such great gardens in Cornwall for people to visit. However it is lovely for myself and the team to read how much you enjoyed Glendurgan.

Thank-you again for your support and I hope we'll see you back at Glendurgan in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Glendurgan is lovely, but if you have been to Trebah first it seems like rather second rate. Very similar with a deep, steep sided valley down to the village and beach, but just a little less wonderful. Go here first!

1  Thank louise s
JonODonoghue, Manager at Glendurgan Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear louise s,

Thank-you for coming to visit us here at Glendurgan. You'll probably have picked up that Trebah, Glendurgan, nearby Penjerrick and several other gardens in the area were all started by the Fox family. Since the gardens were begun nearly 200 years ago they've evolved in different ways with varying influences and in some cases been sold to new owners who have in turn made their stamp on them.

Trebah and Glendurgan are certainly now distinctively different gardens which adds to the richness of Cornwall for visiting places like this. As I'm sure you can imagine we hear from people who prefer Glendurgan and people who prefer Trebah - and we delight in the love of places that everyone has. I'm very lucky in that I work in the wonderful surroundings of Glendurgan but also have Trebah in which to spend my leisure time.

In summary I think you've done the best thing in visiting both places - they're both special gardens and can be appreciated for their distinctive features together with the characteristics they share. I hope we'll see you at Glendurgan again and thank-you once again for visiting us.

Manager.