“Hands-on Castle Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pendennis Castle

Pendennis Castle
Ranked #2 of 58 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: 450 years of history can be experienced from Henry VIII's coastal stronghold to a secret Second World War base. A Discovery Centre packed with hands-on activities allows visitors to really get to grips with history plus the restored defences complete with their sounds and smells show what life was really like. The drama of Pendennis at War is recalled in the Barrack Block in teh Fortress Falmouth and the First World War exhibition, plus the famous 'Butterworth Cartoons'. A day out worth talking about whatever the weather. Child Friendly and dog friendly
Thetford, United Kingdom
“Hands-on Castle Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I loved all the interactive, hands-on learning opportunities the grounds offered my children. Kept my seven year busy and interested the whole day. Highly recommend joining the tour for the keep, our guide was very knowledge and kept the tour lively and fun. We ate at the cafe, but I was not impressed by the quality of food for the high prices we paid.

• Hebrew first
Bacup, United Kingdom
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Definitely try to attend the guided tours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

On a rare day without the children, me and my husband decided to visit Pendennis castle.
As a disabled driver, we were impressed with the inclusive parking arrangements for disabled drivers to park within the castle grounds.

We arrived just in time for the midday gun firing, which was a nice addition to our visit. We then went upstairs in the shop building to view the George Butterworth wartime cartoon exhibition. I was extra excited to view hia work as a lancashire born lass myself. I would like to express thanks to his wife for her generous allowance of the venue to display his works.

We went on a guided tour of the battery and magazines which was interesting and very well attended (possibly there were a few too many on the tour). We did really enjoy the tour though.

There is a lot to explore and it amazed me how the site was able to remain successfully active through a number of centuries and adapt to developing technologies.

2 Thank SesGee
York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent Castle Superb Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Lots of space here-even with several classes of school children around there was lots of space to enjoy this memorable castle in its splendid location. We joined a guided tour given by one of the English Heritage staff which was excellent and greatly added to the enjoyment. The gun room tableau was entertaining and unusual for an English Heritage site. Used the café for coffee -here as everywhere else in the castle the staff were friendly.

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“King of Castles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the second time we have been to Pendennis Castle and it's still a one of English Heritages best castles, full of history and information, excellent.
Helpful and friendly staff, good cafe with a good selection of food.
I can't recommend this enough. If you are not English Heritage members there is a admission fee of £7.50 for adults and it's worth every penny.

Bristol
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beautifully preserved.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

A great place to visit and plenty of room to sit in the grounds for a picnic.Fantastic views over the estuary and inland as well.

Visited May 2014