“Plenty of better choices elsewhere. Unfriendly and uncomfortable.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales
Prince of Wales
Ranked #31 of 81 Falmouth B&B and Inns
“Plenty of better choices elsewhere. Unfriendly and uncomfortable.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I lived in Falmouth for three years and whenever I come back down to visit, I tend to stay nearer to the beach, usually St Michael's, the Grove, or similar. In the future I'll stick to what I know. Though it's a decent location and the room was fairly clean, the service was unfriendly and nearly downright rude.

The bald man who was the owner/manager or something (he never introduced himself) was chatty and pleasant with my two English friends but he was quite rude and unpleasant with me (not English). My friends and I also observed him being quite rude to a couple who were checking out one morning. For the entirety of our stay, he continued to give me very unfriendly vibes/looks/smirks or just plain frowns. I tried to leave early one morning on my own and no one had told us how to exit before opening hours. There was a little (unleashed) dog barking at me inside the pub and the front doors were bolted. As I was trying to unlock one of them to leave, the man appeared out of the back and barked at me as well, that "those doors are shut." He didn't helpfully offer how to get out; had to ask him, and he just stared at me a minute and then pointed out the side/after hours door that the woman checking us in hadn't bothered to explain. He made me feel very uncomfortable.

Upon checking out, as another reviewer noted, he rudely blurted, "we don't take PLASTIC" as though it were some offensive term. I've never heard of a pub, restaurant, B&B or hotel that doesn't take credit or debit cards. He was unpleasant about it, and didn't want to give us a receipt (my friend had to prompt him for this). He also acted put out that we didn't want breakfast the second morning (no one had given us a request form for the second day so we didn't request any anyhow as we planned to eat somewhere else). He was altogether an unfriendly chap.

Apart from him and the very disorganised check-in, there is nowhere convenient to park unless you're leaving before 9 AM and aren't wary of getting your car dinged on a small busy bus route. They advertise wifi that we couldn't even pick up, and the wardrobe in our room was useless - one door totally off the hinges and it was so close to the bed anyhow you couldn't have opened it if you tried. We opened the vanity drawer and a horrible odour came out. The floors slope which is understandable in what is likely a listed building but the whole single bedroom felt crooked and uncomfortable.

The music downstairs wasn't too loud but the noise outside the faux-double-glazing windows was horrendous -- smashing bottles at 1 AM, lorries parked up and running their engines at all hours, and people outside our bedroom window around 3 am screaming and swearing at each other.

There were no hooks anywhere for clothes or coats or towels inside the shower room or toilet, apart from one that kept falling off the wall when you hung anything on it.

All in all, we were not happy with our stay, and as we hadn't been told they didn't accept cards during any part of the process until check-out (though they took a card to hold the reservation in the first place), and were treated rudely, I will quite happily tell all my friends who visit Falmouth to steer clear. I'm amazed they get business at all, not accepting cards.

But had they simply clearly advertised such and been friendly about it -- and had I not been sneered at every time I came downstairs -- I might be leaving a very different review.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MacBrideJB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Popped in here whilst waiting for a bus!! Lovely quaint place good atmosphere and the specials menu board sounded fab but we only stayed for a quick drink..had stowford press cider very nice.. the landlady was so friendly she ran across the road to see if the bus was ours as we needed to get to the station!! If in falmouth again we will stay here for lunch!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cumbria, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here recently to catch up with family and were not disappointed with the location and the friendliness of the place. If you want somewhere central in Falmouth with immediate access to boat trips and shopping then this is the place for you. The only proviso I would say is that if you like a quiet early night then this might not be for you. Live bands appear regularly and the pub does have a late license. Saying that our room was spotless and very comfortable along with a wonderful cooked breakfast and welcoming hosts.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Nothing really wrong here but I won't return, perhaps an off day but lots of reviews refer to hosts couldn't do enough. My impression was different, wasn't made to feel welcome. Breakfast was ok but when I wanted to pay offered card, "we don't take plastic, there's a cash point across the road" No thank you's or basic courtesies at any time.
Difficult to find anywhere to park, intend on road outside pub, only place, had to move by 09-00, which was ok for me.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, wish I had.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CymruNomad
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just one night in a comfortable large room with all the facilities you would expect, good powerful shower and and an excellent included breakfast. Even though the room over looked the main street I wasn't disturbed during the night.

Didn't have an opportunity to try the the main bar menu but it looked good with line caught mackerel and lemon sole at good prices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank huntvambo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My son and I stopped here for a Saturday might in May as part of our 120+ mile walk of the Cornish coastal path to raise funds for Macmillan nurses. I had booked a twin but what we got was effectively a suite consisting of two separate bedrooms a bathroom ad a separate toilet above the pub directly opposite The Prince of Wales jetty. The accommodation was basic but suited our needs perfectly. A hearty Cornish breakfast was served in the bar next morning. The bonus was the entertainment on the Saturday evening . A pretty fine covers band named The Catch played a lengthy set. My musician son was impressed by the guitarist and the drummer. Real ale was on offer behind the bar at reasonable prices.
For a nominal fee the landlady very kindly agreed to launder load of dirty washing acquired over the previous 3 days walking. Enjoyed our stay here and would go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank SteveBury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed there on Saturday April 12th to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary & to see our favourite band 'the bubble'. Dave & Jayne the hosts very friendly, couldn't do enough for us. The room & breakfast was top notch. Would definitely recommend staying here & will definitely return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple