“Warm and Welcoming...”

Ranked #20 of 82 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Kapaa, Hawaii
“Warm and Welcoming...”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Poltair when we were on our honeymoon. Our room (Seagull) is beautifully appointed and comfortable, with a gorgeous ocean view from the balcony. Proprietors Malcolm and Anne are warm and welcoming and the breakfasts are hearty and delicious. This is a fantastic guest house and worth every pence!

Room Tip: Just ask!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Tour Driver just been to The Poltair at end of April 2011 with 46 passengers. Group split between the Poltair and The Lerryn Hotel, although they are next door to each other. Not even a two minute walk. Myself and 14 of the passengers were at the Poltair, which we found to be excellent. Rooms clean and tidy, the staff were extremely helpful. All in all very enjoyable stay.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Our first time at the Poltair, and I'm sure it wont be the last. Beautiful room, excellent television & dvd player, and such nice extra touches such as lovely art deco coasters and flower vase. We had a four poster bed and I was enchanted by it. The food was very good and plentiful, and the service given by Malcolm and his staff was better than I have experienced in other hotels. There were books and dvds to borrow, what more can one ask of a hotel - and such good value.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
leicester
Reviewed 21 April 2011

the poltair hotel is the ideal place to stay if you want the maximum pleasure of your stay.the rooms are stunning,equiped with all the things you need +more.
the hotel staff are very friendly and are always smiling,the food is excellent and the hotel is only a street away from the beach,
we shall be back:-)

Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I am here at the moment (leaving tomorrow) with a large group coach tour ith Just Go! Holidays. Must admit this is probably one of the best independant Guest Houses I have ever stayed in. Upon arrival, there was a very warm welcome from Malcolm. The whole establishment is totally spotless and very well decorated. The room are excellent and well furnished. The food given to us throughout our stay was superb and adequately portioned. Admittingly, it would benefit 10 fold from a bar/lounge area, but the quality, comfort and service certainly more than compensates for this. Would gladly recommend this Guest House to anyone.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We have recently returned from the above trip which was a bitterly disappointing experience. Having travelled on many coach holiday breaks throughout the UK and into mainland Europe this was our fist experience of JustGo formerlt known as TheCoachHoliday. These have been relaxed, social affairs in the company of like minded senior citizens. So when we booked with JustGo whose literature states "The core of our customer base is the growing sector of retired homeowners, mostly aged 60- plus" we were shocked by our experience.

All of the pre travel arrangements went smoothly and our driver Dave was most considerate. However, our nightmare began upon arrival at The Poltair Hotel. Surely this is a misnomer as The Poltair is merely a large guest house (11 bedrooms) with no lounge or bar area and describes itself as a small, friendly, family run Guest House. Lovely sea views but that was about it.

Upon arrival I was horrified to discover access was by way of several steep, slippery steps. Not only that but the manager's greeting was "I am here on my own so you will have to bear with me" My 75 year old husband had to help several other guests carry their luggage up to the hotel as they simply could not manage. Hardly the best start to a relaxing holiday after a long coach journey. In fairness the room was very good

On the second night several people in our party enjoyed the evening meal of scampi, only to suffer from sickness the next day which for me completely wiped out Wednesday and Thursday. Finally, the holiday was rounded off with a route march, complete with luggage, to the Lerryn Hotel in order to alight the coach.

Without doubt, this was the worst short break experience I have ever had .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
61 Thank CoachHolidayMakers
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
Dear Trip Advisor readers

First of all may I say how sorry I am that coachholidaymakers did not enjoy their stay at Poltair.

I would say, however, that their comments are totally unfair and undeserved for 2 reasons.

1. They did not actually book with ourselves. My wife Anne and I have been here for 11 years and for most of that time we would not consider any booking made by any 3rd party because we believed that could cause problems but for the last 3 winters we have taken block bookings from the coach company who then sell our rooms to their guests. We were particularly encouraged to do this by the Managing Director of the coach company who visited us before we started and told us how pleased he was with Poltair and how he would like to stay here with his family.

A small number of people have said over the 3 winters that we are not what they expected (e.g. no bar or entertainment or bingo) and they have said that they do not think that the coach company has accurately described our property and facilities and thus I would say that the reviewer's complaint should be to the coach company and not ourselves - after all they booked with the coach company and not us. We are delivering EXACTLY what we promised the coach company (and this is why we hesitated to take 3rd party bookings).

A large number of coach guests have told us that when considering a holiday in Falmouth that they check our website in advance because they want to know what they are getting - it is a shame that the reviewer did not do that.

A very large number of coach guests (we have now had more than 1000 guests on more than 60 coach tours) have told us that we are the BEST place they've ever stayed on a coach trip and they like us BECAUSE we are different to the normal coach venues (see 6 previous excellent reviews from coach company guests - not to mention well over 100 comments in our visitors book).

Yes -we are a bit of a 'mom and pop' operation (to borrow an American phrase). Normally Anne and I are both on duty when a coach arrives but Anne (who is 68) has had health problems and recently had a heart attack with a short spell in hospital and has thus been more limited in her capabilities. As you can imagine Anne has been quite depressed since the heart attack and it has really upset her to think that guests feel let down by us. Anne wasn't available when this group arrived but I don't understand why "I am here on my own so you will have to bear with me" caused a problem or why the lady's husband HAD to carry luggage. I genuinely like to help our guests and I'm quite sure I carried some luggage for this group.

To avoid any further problems we are considering not renewing our contract with the coach company for next winter because even one unhappy customer is one too many.

2. I do not believe that our food caused sickness.

I believe that the reviewer is one of a group of 4 people who stayed here on a recent coach trip and all 4 of them were unwell. As far as I am aware there was one other person on the coach who was unwell and they told me that they had a tummy bug before they travelled here. I suspect that they passed the bug to one of the group of 4 who then passed it to the others. The 4 people were ill at different times to each other and I imagine that they would more likely have been ill at the same time if it was the food. Incidentally, a total of 12 people (including myself) ate the scampi that evening and no one else was ill.

Yours sincerely
Malcolm Grimsley
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

As always a warm and friendly welcome. We stayed in a different room than usual but the level of comfort and attention to detail was as high as ever.
Excellent breakfast, whether the full English option or 'pick and mix' for the awkward one.
Already booked for the next visit in May - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Visit the hotel's website for virtual tour.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple