“Super room, great location, average brekkie”
Review of Poltair

Poltair
Ranked #22 of 83 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a very good B&B and I am actually upset to give it a 4/5 rating, as if the brekkie had been better, this would have been a hands-down 5/5 rating.

In terms of the host, Malcolm has clearly been in the hospitality trade for some time and knows exactly what he is doing. He was very gracious and helpful. My only slight bug-bear was having to pay for my room in cash as this is the 21st century and the UK so I expect to be able to pay by card rather than having to carry around large sums of cash on me!

The room itself is undoubtedly one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. As there were very few guests that night, and having asked for one of the top floor sea view rooms, I was given the middle suite which had two balconies with the most sensational views over the bay of Falmouth, all the way from Pendennis Castle along to the headland by the golf club. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was lovely with some very nice toiletries and there were some lovely touches too, not least the storage area that included a fridge, a dressing area, and lots of local information and guides to read through. Everything was immaculately clean too. The building itself is also an architectural masterpiece, situated just one block up from the main seafront promenade on the south side of Falmouth and a few minutes walk from the pleasant Gyllingvase beach.

The breakfast was as fresh as a daisy and cooked to order which I appreciated...maybe I had been spoilt when I went to Penzance the night before, but what came out on the plate was perfectly ok, but nothing special and the portion size seemed fairly miserly in comparison...I also have a real issue with any hotel or B&B that gets the toast thing wrong as it ruins my breakfast...I got given a couple of pieces of toast (rather than 4 or 6) just before my breakfast came out and that was great as I thought I would ask for some more toast when I next saw Malcolm or his colleague, but unfortunately nobody else surfaced for about another 10 minutes by which time my breakfast was pretty much finished. Lesson in hospitality...you can't leave your guests alone without checking on them for so long! And make sure you give a big man a hearty breakfast to start his day off well!

In summary, I therefore make no hesitation to recommend this B&B as a lovely and good value place to stay in Falmouth as the rooms and views are so outstanding, but I do hope they improve the breakfast!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear TripAdvisor readers
We would like to thank RichP for taking the time and trouble in writing a review and we are sorry that he was not entirely satisfied.
We do not believe that our breakfasts are perfect but think that this is the first time ever that someone has not been happy. We would say that there is absolutely no limit as to how much food a guest can have (we recently, for example, had a man who wanted - and got - 4 fried eggs with his cooked breakfast). We have an extensive amount of food on the cold shelf for guests to help themselves to and we take orders for cooked food. We will take cooked food exactly as ordered so the reviewer will have received what he asked for. If someone orders a cooked breakfast we tend to take what we believe is a standard amount of food. A number of guests then ask for a small breakfast for the next day. Occasionally people order larger portions which we are very happy to serve. It seems a shame that the reviewer did not order what he believed to be enough food. As mentioned, there is also plenty of food in the dining room. This includes 4 cereals (including Anne's home made muesli), 2 different fresh fruits, home-made yoghurt, jam and marmalade amongst others. We are sorry that he felt this was "nothing special". It should be noted that many other reviews on this site have been very complimentary about our breakfasts and we have received 2 separate breakfast awards.
Our bread is all home-made and each slice is large and quite dense and equivalent to about 2 slices of shop bread. Although we took the reviewer 2 slices, we take most guests 1 slice to start with and then take more as required. Most people only want 1 slice. We would have happily taken the reviewer more toast and we are really sorry if our timing was out. We do check on guests and in the past have been criticised for checking too often!
Our payment methods were explained fully at the time of booking and we said that we would be happy to take payment by cheque. It is frustrating that the reviewer accepted this and then chooses to complain about it.
Anne and Malcolm Grimsley

There are newer reviews for Poltair

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Let's see, how many times have we stayed here ... five years in a row, for the Sea Shanty Festival. If we hadn't been delighted with Poltair we wouldn't have gone back for a second time, never mind a fifth! So as you can imagine we are just as delighted with Malcolm and Anne as ever. Can't fault you, Poltair. Spotlessly clean room, extremely well appointed, magnificent breakfast and outstanding service. Save us a slot for 2015!

Room Tip: Beachcomber is easily the best room, centre location of the top floor looking out over the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Trip Advisor readers

I would like to thank RobSandy for such a fab review. I will tell Anne and Malcolm because they do help me look after everything but I know that I'm the main reason people keep coming back.

Love from Oscar (the Poltair cat)

p.s. I didn't get mentioned in this year's review like I was last year but I still know that I'm the star attraction!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

From the minute I stepped through the door, I was welcomed by the owner - Malcolm. I received a room upgrade which I did not expect. My room was comfortable, clean and tidy. The shower in the morning had plenty of hot water. Breakfast was lovely in the morning - a freshly cooked English Breakfast (other options available) and a nice view over the Channel. I only stayed one night but overall, a really good B&B which was good value for money. I'd highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Trip Advisor readers

We would like to thank CameronL 1 for such a welcome review. We have now been at Poltair for 14 years but still try hard to look after guests so it is great to have such positive feedback.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My son and I braved a drive down from Bath on the stormiest day of this stormy winter (he had an interview the next day) and found the Poltair to be as welcoming and comfortable as he had found it on a similar trip in the autumn with his mother. The view from my bedroom's large conservatory was memorable -- ships moored out at sea, the lights from each bridge just visible in the distance. Then a spray of hailstones would catch my attention, scattering across the outside of the window while I pulled my covers up and settled further into the comfort of the large bed. Fresh, home-made ingredients at breakfast set us up for the return trip the following day. We'll be back, I'm sure.

Room Tip: The "Beachcomber" room on the top floor has the conservatory overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Trip Advisor readers

We would like to thank VanDam007 for such an enthusiastic review. We are pleased that they enjoyed their short stay and even appeared relatively positive about the weather!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

we were back at poltair in november, it is always very welcome and cosy. fantastic views from the rooms at the front especially the higher floors. excellent all round! Malcolm is a great host.. very convenient location for the centre of falmouth

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Trip Advisor readers

We would like to thank AJMCS for such a pleasant review. We often say after people check out "they must be some of our nicest guests". We do tend to say it a lot because we are lucky that some lovely people choose to come here however the reviewers are a real pleasure to have staying.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Poltair on a number of occasions. I always receive a warm welcome, the rooms are clean & comfortable and the breakfasts are excellent. I come to Falmouth to visit my daughter, who is at the local University, and she is always made welcome to join me for breakfast. Nothing is too much trouble. Great value & highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Trip Advisor readers

We would like to thank Richard B for such a fine review. We are always pleased that anyone chooses to stay at Poltair but we take it as a great compliment when guests choose to come back for return visits.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed in the top floor room in the Poltair with a wonderful little conservatory area and comfy seating, which overlooked the sea and also had a little terrace on either side. A bonus was the fridge and a very useful dressing table area with lots of shelves and a couple of baskets. There was no wardrobe but a hanging rail in the dressing table area, but this didn't bother us, we would rather have the view. The little kitchen area had shelves for storage. We would definitely return and book the same room.

Room Tip: One or two other rooms also have a view but this one was the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday-junkies, Owner at Poltair, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Trip Advisor readers
We would like to thank toads 13 for such a considerate review. Although our top floor rooms are a reasonable size, in fact Heron, Osprey and Cormorant are all a little bigger. Some of our regular guests prefer the bigger rooms whilst others prefer the better views from the top floor. We are pleased that the reviewer enjoyed their stay.