“1 night last minute”

The Royal Duchy Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Unsure of where I was going to get to at the start of the week hadn't booked a room trusting no problems at this time of year finding a room. On not reaching my final call for the day re-scheduled for the following morning and went to Falmouth for some digs. Had never been before so no idea where I was going, this was the first hotel I tried. Was greeted by a doorman and thought " not in my budget!" How wrong I was, once in reception was offered a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast deal that seemed very reasonable and took up offer. Absolutely no regrets, lovely hotel, brilliant service, excellent food an absolute joy and literally stumbled upon. Wandered into town and found Falmouth to be a place I would like to return to.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My recent return to the Royal Duchy was a wonderful experience and a very happy one.
The Staff were very welcoming and we really enjoyed our two night Sea View room.
It was the first visit by my partner who commented that he had an excellent time. Food was of a high standard and the staff were very friendly

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our second or third stay at the Royal Duchy. As before, the service was excellent with all the staff we came across being professional and courteous but also friendly, helpful and welcoming. The breakfast was excellent, well cooked, hot and served fresh (none of those horrible buffet eggs and bacon congealing in their own fat that you get at so many hotels these days). This automatically gives the hotel bonus points. But the evening meals, though well cooked and prettily presented, seemed rather bland with none of the extra touches that I remember from previous visits. Nothing wrong with the food. It just lacked the extra bit of flavoursome zing you might hope for in a 4 star hotel and that I remembered.
Generally everywhere was clean and attractive although the bath jets obviously hadn't been used much and were a bit grubby. However, the bedroom was spotless and the bathroom generally very clean as were the other rooms including the pool and changing room.

Room Tip: It isn't cheap but I would recommend going for a room with sea views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at The Royal Duchy last weekend with six friends who were visiting Falmouth.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we had a warm greeting from the very smart doorman, before meeting the friendly and efficient reception staff.

Our rooms were all spacious, clean, comfortable with all the mod cons you would expect from a hotel of this standard.

We then had pre dinner drinks in the very comfortable lounge area before heading into Falmouth for dinner. The bar staff were excellent and very attentive.

The next morning we had breakfast which had an excellent choice of cereal, fresh fruit and pastries , together with a hot breakfast option to set you up for a day of exploring Falmouth .

The swimming pool and sauna were spotless and very inviting. We especially liked the heated loungers to laze on after an energetic swim!

All in all we had a great stay at the Royal Duchy and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone.

All staff we came into contact with were excellent and unfortunately cannot remember all their names. However, I would like to say thank you to Barry the hotel manager, Gail and Naomi at reception and bar staff Matt , Hayden and Mandy for their outstanding service. They really are a credit to the Brend Group .

I am sure we will stay again, Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jayne187
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great hotel, staff superb and very attentive, the food, location and ambience all excellent. Could not have found a better place to stay, which I was not expecting, as my wife had booked this as a surprise. Would happily recommend to anyone.
Quiet, clean and superbly located, great hotel

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, clean, quiet and well presented. You pay extra for a room with a sea vie...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We enjoy using this hotel,it is clean,warm and welcoming.The bedrooms are comfortable,the swimming pool area is very pleasant.The hotel has a great view of the bay.My only concern this visit was that the food could have been hotter and the portion sizes larger.We mentioned this to the hotel on the fist evening and they worked very hard to please us all.

Room Tip: Room 226 is an excellent bedroom.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Yes, it was a luxury (for us it was anyway)...and it was cheap for what we had. Admittedly it was even better as we were upgraded two steps (without asking...a complete surprise!) from a standard inland facing room - to a deluxe sea facing (the one on the corner on the second floor...212)...but all in all it was good value for money. It was a special occasion and we stayed three nights. The staff, in our experience, were excellent. The dining room staff, the reception staff...and the cleaning staff were all good. The room was beautifully appointed. The breakfast was fabulous!!!! (didn't try the evening meal) but we did get a free cream tea and a free pasty as part of the special 'winter warmer' offer and they were served up just as though we were royalty...a nice touch! Looking at what you could pay elsewhere it wasn't outrageously expensive (but it was November, remember)...I guess it would be pretty dear in the middle of summer and if you paid for the sea facing deluxe room it really would mount up if you stayed more than a few days. But we loved it and would recommend it....providing you either don't mind paying a bit extra for this level of luxury...or you get a good offer on a room due to being out of season etc.

Room Tip: We were in 212 on the second floor on the corner and it was quiet, next to the lift, fabulous view...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Merchants Manor
Merchants Manor
#13 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!