“Ronnie G - Worcestershire”

The Royal Duchy Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed at the Royal Duchy as part of a group package tour at the end of May 2014 and can only describe it as 'top notch'. Not only was the service, cuisine and ambience of an extremely high standard but the staff were polite and friendly - nothing was too good for them. The Maitre de (Michael Keegan) was friendly, attentive and obviously a good leader for the staff. Although we had a room facing inland, the décor and cleanliness was of the highest standard and conducted by the background staff (room maids/cleaning etc) who were very friendly and quietly efficient. I have travelled quite a bit around the world and this hotel has to be in the top bracket.
On this site, I have seen negative feedback (and of course people are entitled to their opinions) but what I have seen does not reflect what I experienced!
Thanking everyone at The Royal Duchy for an excellent and smoothly run week!

Room Tip: Paying the extra will get you a sea view room - which is much better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,168)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel was beautiful. The sea view from the room was excellent and although the weather was wet at times, we took advantage & just relaxed. I had a spa treatment which was lovely and much needed as my husband and I had just returned from overseas. The food served in the hotel was absolutely beautiful & couldn't be faulted. The service was excellent. Well worth the money. It was a lovely, relaxed week.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I absolutely loved my stay on the 26th of May. It was a surprise night away in the gorgeous hotel for my boyfriends 21st and he loved it. We wished we could have stayed longer but we'll definitely without a doubt be going back again soon hopefully! There was 21st balloons in our room as requested, the staff were lovely and we had a fab time. Food was gorgeous and the facilities were great. We also had a sea view which we definitely weren't expecting so that was a nice surprise for the both of us! Nothing to fault!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On the 29th of May 2014 my wife and I were lucky enough to visit the Royal Duchy hotels Spa for a day of pampering. We were greeted by a extremely friendly and charming Beautician called Michelle. Nothing seemed to much trouble for her and she took care of our every need to make it into a very relaxing and enjoyable day. The Spa itself was lovely and relaxing and very clean with all you could need to de stress . The lunch was very nice and tasty with a generous helping served either in the spa or the restaurant. I would recommend this hotel Spa to anybody with no hesitation and could not recommend Michelle and her professionalism enough. Thank you for a great day :-)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Returning once again to the Royal Duchy, now in our 8th year May 2014. A hotel that continues to delight with its friendly, welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. Maintaining consistent high standards, where the service as always is second to none. The staff are attentive, professional and make you feel like coming home. The rooms, food and all round ambience go towards making this a perfect retreat along with its idyllic location and beautiful views. The new Pendennis restaurant has raised the bar for a terrific dining experience worthy of a visit for both residents and non residents alike (a huge improvement on previous visits) offering a good selection of starters, mains and deserts to satisfy the most discerning of palettes. If you want peace,quiet and relaxation then this is the place. Afternoon tea in the see facing lounge is a must. The only negative about this trip would be to say it was far too short. We look forward to our next visit later in the year.
Our congratulations and thanks to the management and all the staff at Cornwall's finest.
John B

Room Tip: All the rooms are well appointed and maintained to a high standard . Pay a little extra to get a ful...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We are familiar with some of the other Brend hotels but wanted to try the Royal Duchy. Overall we were very pleased and the reception staff and porter James couldn't have been more helpful. A very clean and tidy appearance throughout the hotel and grounds. We enjoyed the evening meals which were well presented although the crab salad starter offered on one occasion was unfortunately named as it actually contained only a miniscule portion of crab! Service was good although noticeably slower on our second evening when some staff were not on duty. The traditional breakfasts were excellent. Our room had a great view of the sea and Pendennis Castle but we found it hot at night. I would imagine that this would be even more of a problem in high summer and consideration should be given to the installation of a bespoke air conditioning system. It was disappointing that whist a trouser press was present neither ironing board nor room safe were provided. It was also disappointing that there was scaffolding still in place outside our daughter's room but in fairness we were warned about this possibility when we booked. The Royal Duchy is an excellent traditional hotel but perhaps needs a small amount of attention in the areas mentioned.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Arrived on a sunny afternoon hoping to spend relaxing afternoon on the terrace, but this was impossible due to the noise from lawnmower, strimmer and pressure washer. I know this work needs to be done, but why should customers suffer the inconvenience from 2-00 pm until after 6-00 pm! Not a good start to our visit. It got worse in the evening when not feeling like a full three course dinner we decided to eat in the Terrace Bar. Not a good idea as all of the staff seem to think that the restaurant is the only important area of the hotel in the early evening. The poor girl who was serving in the bar was trying her best but she could not deal with everything on her own and got no help from the other staff. I ordered mussels and my wife ordered a salad, both served with bread. My mussles were served and we waited for the salad and the bread and we waited for the salad and the bread, after about 5 minutes the salad came, but no bread. So again we waited for the bread, but no sign of it. We had to ask the staff for the bread, which took a further few miniues to arrive. By this time my mussels were stone cold and I noticed that a large number of them had not open so were not good to eat. When we did complain but the service we were again kept waiting for unreasonable amount of time and whilst offered a drink we were not really given an apology for the poor servcie and cold food.
Whilst I did point all of the above out to management before we left the hotel and they reduced the bill by a small amount, I cannot say that I enjoyed the visit to this hotel and it certainly did not live up to standards expected from a four star hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Roger A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Merchants Manor
Merchants Manor
#13 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!