“very very good hotel”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Falmouth
Bath, United Kingdom
“very very good hotel”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Mostly excellent: Amazing location, fabulous sea views, really delicious food both in the restaurant and terrace bar, breakfast on the terrace was a joy! and lovely well trained personable staff, all polite and friendly, especially Tomas the Maitre and James the fantastic concierge/porter. All credit to Barry the manager for having such a good efficient and friendly team, quite the nicest I have ever encountered!
We were very lucky with the weather but it did mean our rather small standard double room on the top floor was very hot, (and I only realised on the last day the window had a child lock on it restricting its opening...) but that wasn't the hotels fault; they had provided a fan at least.
The room was newly and tastefully, decorated, and the bathroom with a window! very nice and the sea view stunning. Next time I would definitely go for a superior room as they had bigger windows and were obviously more spacious. The swimming pool is very nice and everywhere was clean and tidy. The staff were always very helpful and the service prompt and efficient. It is well placed for beaches, and the town isn't far away, and there is a lovely walk to Pendennis along the coast with lots of places to sit at the end of the point. Overall a fabulous almost faultless break, I did not want to leave, and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Chose a superior sea view
2 Thank thesaurus23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was at the Royal Duchy for 3 nights, and left today. Some excellent points to mention and a couple of problems. I'll start with the very good things. The location is lovely--I had a sea view room that was fairly large and looked out onto the castle and the sea. It was beautiful and dead quiet after 10pm. The breakfasts were ample and delicious. The staff was also quite nice (with the exception of a young woman behind the reception at a desk who was busy looking online or on her phone and gave curt answers--but mostly they were all very friendly--the curt one may be the one in charge of answering this post, of course). Now the few annoyances. The wifi was truly awful (which I needed for a couple of work crises)--I was constantly kicked off and had to restart. Five minutes on and five minutes off. There was a kettle in the room, but guests only received a single "courtesy box" including coffee, tea, biscuits, etc., and even if you only wanted another bit of instant coffee, you had to buy a full new box--terribly wasteful since I didn't want anything else in the box--only a bit more coffee (which I went to the store and bought myself). The "turndown" service was hit and miss. I was always away when it was supposed to happen and it only did once. Nevertheless, the pros outweigh the cons here. I don't think I'll stay here again if I come back to Falmouth, but you certainly can't beat the view from the front rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Donald H
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Lager served warm from the tap, £14 for very, very ordinary fish and chips, told off by housekeeping for not making it clear that I didn't need the turn down service, reception tried to charge me for the room on check out even though it had been paid for in advance (no hint of an apology, genuinely shocking customer service).

The view of Falmouth Bay was nice but you don't need to stay in this hotel for that. You can stand on the pavement on the other side of the road and just look south.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Olly G
BrendHotels, John Allen, Area Director at The Royal Duchy Hotel at The Royal Duchy Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your review, the hotel has an excellent reputation for providing outstanding customer service in all departments and this is fully supported by other reviews on this site and others.

We believe that our menus are competitively priced for a four star hotel offering our level of service. Our fish is locally sourced and delivered fresh on a daily basis.

The receptionist did I believe apologise to you for the confusion over payment on check out which we had not received at that time. The original booking was made through an agent that does not accept prepayment from the customer. However we were instructed to make the charge to your company which had not been done when you checked out. Please accept our sincere apologies for this error.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Superb location with excellent, far-reaching views over Falmouth Bay yet within walking distance of the town centre and nearby beaches.

Brilliant staff - well-trained, personable and efficient. For example, my husband wished to store his bike during our stay and the staff were very accommodating and helped with this.

Rooms beautifully presented with good facilities - lack of air-conditioning was initially a problem in this hot summer until we worked out how to open the window fully. Lovely indoor pool not used much outside school holidays.

Terrace and conservatory were the big pluses allowing drinks, light lunches to be taken either indoors or outside to fully absorb the wonderful views.
Regarding the food, what we ate was good, although we were disappointed that there was really no a la carte menu to speak of, considering the Hotel has two AA rosettes. There is an excellent three course Table d'hote dinner each evening but we tend not to eat three courses as my husband has a strict diet for his running. It is a pity that the offer on the Terrace was more commonplace food - fish and chips, fish cakes, burgers ( in contrast to the Flying Fish restaurant in a nearby hotel.)

Having free wifi was a plus although it was sometimes temperamental and you had to reconnect in the middle of on-line activities, generally this was a good facility to have in your bedroom.

However, having said all we have above, it was a very relaxing holiday made by the excellent staff and the glorious location.

Room Tip: Sea-view room
1 Thank Margaret S
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for one night, and whilst our room was a small double, it was beautifully furnished, and was fine for our needs. The hotel provided a fan which was very welcome, as we couldn't open the windows, and so the room became very stuffy without it.
We ate dinner and breakfast here, and the food and service quality were top notch.
One tiny gripe: They make my Pina Colada completely wrong, and while I pointed this out to the Assistant Manager, a really lovely man, he committed a cardinal PR mistake, by not offering to get me another one!! He told me I should have complained on the spot, and actually I guess he's right, but I didn't want to make a fuss. I think he should have offered me another one, but didn't.
It doesn't alter in any way though my superb memory of this lovely establishment, and we would definitely return. In fact I can't wait!!

1 Thank Mickigirl1310
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a great stay at the RDH. Staff all very friendly and helpful, Michelle the beauty therapist was lovely and friendly. We ate from the Terrace menu one night and all was great, risotto was the best I've ever had! Rooms spotlessly clean and beds soooo comfortable. An amazing view from the terrace and an easy quick walk to the beach which was clean and sandy. Will definitely return!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ScoobySue11
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in falmouth on our honeymoon and came here to celebrate our golden wedding,hotel in beautiful position overlooking Falmouth Bay. Hotel is beautifully decorated throughout with plenty of comfortable sitting to enjoy the view.our room was immaculate with plenty of drawer space and wardrobe space, bathroom was good with shower over bath but there was a handy rail for getting in and out. Toiletries and bottled water topped up daily. Breakfasts were good,plenty of selections and good variety available as a cooked option. The dinner was disappointing,it looked pretty but was too contrived for our taste. Lots of foam and swirls of strange sauces. The dining room staff were all very attentive especially Natalija our main waitress. We found the Falmouth town hop on hop off bus very useful,nearest stop The Dell car park. We would recommend this hotel to friends and come again on a bed and breakfast deal.

Room Tip: Sea view if possible or a superior inland room.
1 Thank Anne C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!