“spa day”

The Royal Duchy Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Today my mum and I experienced a spa day for my mums 60th. I cannot find any fault,Michelle the beautician manager was attentive,genuine,experienced,gorgeous,homely and professional,I cannot praise her enough, she made the whole experience very special and welcoming which was just what I wanted for my mum.all of the staff and then lovely door man were delightful. the facilities were immaculate.my only gripe would be thats the pool table room is the wrong location when having a relaxing time.Highly recommended and well worth the money..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Cornishbird88
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Royal Duchy. The staff were incredibly friendly, genuine and welcoming - not only in the hotel but even around town, off duty, one staff member (and his dog!) stopped to say hello and ask us how we were. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious and I was pleased with the vanity desk and seating area. Robes and slippers were provided and there was even a fan in the wardrobe. My only criticism of the room is that there was no fridge/minibar, although there is complimentary bottled water and tea making facilities. The bathroom was modern and the toiletries provided were good quality. Breakfast was very good, with a cold buffet followed by a hot choice to order. The swimming pool was enjoyable - a small/medium sized pool with a small paddling area for children. The pool itself was of a good depth for me as I'm not a confident swimmer - a sloping pool with a shallow end of 1.2m and deep end of 1.5m. It was completely empty when we used it at around 7pm on Sunday. The changing rooms are very small and no lockers are provided, however they are modern and clean, and providing the pool isn't busy, should be adequate. Towels, floats and swimming toys were provided and were all clean and good quality. The lovely Gyllyngvase Beach is a short walk away, and it's a short walk to Falmouth Town and Falmouth Docks railway stations, and the town itself. All in all, a lovely stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights in June and overall it is a pretty good hotel, in a great location for the beaches, castle and harbour. We had a double room at the back of the hotel, which was very pleasant and nicely decorated, but the bathroom though very clean needed updating; the shower over the bath was in need of repair. They did provide nice toiletries though! We had a nice lunch in the lounge/bar which was very stylish and had fantastic views out to sea, if I stay again I will definitely try and get a sea view room! The staff were friendly and helpful - I had travelled with my one year old son and they had set up a travel cot and blanket in our room and even left him his own towel. We had a lovely stay and if it wasn't for the tired bathroom, (and also the poor wi fi) I would have given 5 stars.

Room Tip: go for a sea view room as the location is great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank savvytravelfan
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Mostly excellent: Amazing location, fabulous sea views, really delicious food both in the restaurant and terrace bar, breakfast on the terrace was a joy! and lovely well trained personable staff, all polite and friendly, especially Tomas the Maitre and James the fantastic concierge/porter. All credit to Barry the manager for having such a good efficient and friendly team, quite the nicest I have ever encountered!
We were very lucky with the weather but it did mean our rather small standard double room on the top floor was very hot, (and I only realised on the last day the window had a child lock on it restricting its opening...) but that wasn't the hotels fault; they had provided a fan at least.
The room was newly and tastefully, decorated, and the bathroom with a window! very nice and the sea view stunning. Next time I would definitely go for a superior room as they had bigger windows and were obviously more spacious. The swimming pool is very nice and everywhere was clean and tidy. The staff were always very helpful and the service prompt and efficient. It is well placed for beaches, and the town isn't far away, and there is a lovely walk to Pendennis along the coast with lots of places to sit at the end of the point. Overall a fabulous almost faultless break, I did not want to leave, and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Chose a superior sea view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thesaurus23
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was at the Royal Duchy for 3 nights, and left today. Some excellent points to mention and a couple of problems. I'll start with the very good things. The location is lovely--I had a sea view room that was fairly large and looked out onto the castle and the sea. It was beautiful and dead quiet after 10pm. The breakfasts were ample and delicious. The staff was also quite nice (with the exception of a young woman behind the reception at a desk who was busy looking online or on her phone and gave curt answers--but mostly they were all very friendly--the curt one may be the one in charge of answering this post, of course). Now the few annoyances. The wifi was truly awful (which I needed for a couple of work crises)--I was constantly kicked off and had to restart. Five minutes on and five minutes off. There was a kettle in the room, but guests only received a single "courtesy box" including coffee, tea, biscuits, etc., and even if you only wanted another bit of instant coffee, you had to buy a full new box--terribly wasteful since I didn't want anything else in the box--only a bit more coffee (which I went to the store and bought myself). The "turndown" service was hit and miss. I was always away when it was supposed to happen and it only did once. Nevertheless, the pros outweigh the cons here. I don't think I'll stay here again if I come back to Falmouth, but you certainly can't beat the view from the front rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Donald H
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Lager served warm from the tap, £14 for very, very ordinary fish and chips, told off by housekeeping for not making it clear that I didn't need the turn down service, reception tried to charge me for the room on check out even though it had been paid for in advance (no hint of an apology, genuinely shocking customer service).

The view of Falmouth Bay was nice but you don't need to stay in this hotel for that. You can stand on the pavement on the other side of the road and just look south.

Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Olly G
BrendHotels, John Allen, Area Director at The Royal Duchy Hotel at The Royal Duchy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your review, the hotel has an excellent reputation for providing outstanding customer service in all departments and this is fully supported by other reviews on this site and others.

We believe that our menus are competitively priced for a four star hotel offering our level of service. Our fish is locally sourced and delivered fresh on a daily basis.

The receptionist did I believe apologise to you for the confusion over payment on check out which we had not received at that time. The original booking was made through an agent that does not accept prepayment from the customer. However we were instructed to make the charge to your company which had not been done when you checked out. Please accept our sincere apologies for this error.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Superb location with excellent, far-reaching views over Falmouth Bay yet within walking distance of the town centre and nearby beaches.

Brilliant staff - well-trained, personable and efficient. For example, my husband wished to store his bike during our stay and the staff were very accommodating and helped with this.

Rooms beautifully presented with good facilities - lack of air-conditioning was initially a problem in this hot summer until we worked out how to open the window fully. Lovely indoor pool not used much outside school holidays.

Terrace and conservatory were the big pluses allowing drinks, light lunches to be taken either indoors or outside to fully absorb the wonderful views.
Regarding the food, what we ate was good, although we were disappointed that there was really no a la carte menu to speak of, considering the Hotel has two AA rosettes. There is an excellent three course Table d'hote dinner each evening but we tend not to eat three courses as my husband has a strict diet for his running. It is a pity that the offer on the Terrace was more commonplace food - fish and chips, fish cakes, burgers ( in contrast to the Flying Fish restaurant in a nearby hotel.)

Having free wifi was a plus although it was sometimes temperamental and you had to reconnect in the middle of on-line activities, generally this was a good facility to have in your bedroom.

However, having said all we have above, it was a very relaxing holiday made by the excellent staff and the glorious location.

Room Tip: Sea-view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Greenbank Hotel
#5 of 24 in Falmouth
Merchants Manor
Merchants Manor
#13 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Royal Duchy Hotel? Share your experiences!