“Great night and lovely breakfast”

The Greenbank Hotel
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
“Great night and lovely breakfast”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I had been visiting Falmouth from Australia for a wedding, I spent the night of the wedding in the Greenbank and had one of the best experiences of my trip. The bar was excellent with a highly knowledgable barman who took obvious pride in his bar and the service he provided. The views from the terrace were spectacular, the perfect way to enjoy a drink. The room was great, very clean and well appointed, I loved the bathroom! Breakfast was lovely, on arrival in the dinning room I could choose from a selection of cereals, breads and juices. The friendly waiter then took my order for a cooked breakfast which arrived promptly and was beautifully cooked. Overall the stunning location of the hotel was only surpassed by the quality of the experience. Brilliant!

Room Tip: The rooms withi river views would be the obvious choice.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ben L
Paul G, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Some wonderful feedback, thank you. I was wondering who to thank for the recent weather! I am very pleased that you will take away some good memories of The Greenbank, and hope that you enjoyed your time in the UK.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Padstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Having seen the hotel in passing for many years we treated ourselves to an overnight stay, and booked our evening meal in the hotel restaurant.
The room was clean and well maintained with a fabulous view over the harbour. We were very lucky with one of the rare warm spring days, and enjoyed a glass of wine on the terrace before dinner...delightful. The menu was not extensive, but absolutely first class, we dined looking across the water to Flushing. The waiting staff were helpful and attentive. Breakfast in the sunny resataurant with the superb outlook did not disappoint.
We will definitely go there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
I am so pleased that you decided to stay after passing for many years, and pleased further that we did not disappoint. Thank you for your comments, please visit again, you will be most welcome.
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I live in Falmouth so I didn't stay overnight in the Greenbank. This review is about its restaurant. I've lived in Falmouth for eight years and I've seen the Greenbank go through a few up and downs. When we first arrived here in 2004 the restaurant was amazing. Then it went into a bit of a decline; the quality of the food and the service went off and it started to be very hit and miss. The only consistently thing was the price - hefty! Back in 2010 we went for a family meal and I think it was probably one of the most expensive disappointments in my dining career. But we went again in August 2011 because of a new chef and new menu. Thank goodness, the food was super, and we enjoyed ourselves enormously. So we decided to try it again and I'm pleased to report that it was jolly good. It's still pricey but the food is excellent and the staff were very accommodating of my daughter's requests - which is probably just as well as there is no children's menu. My daughter had the bread basket and olives as a starter, whilst I had a delicious salmon and caviar dish. My husband had a deconstructed Caesar salad which he said was excellent and our guest had a pork dish which was equally good. For mains my daughter had hake with pea puree, new potatoes, and homemade tomato ketchup. I had the same but a la mode with spring onion mash. The fish was moist and perfectly cooked. I am always a bit suspicious of spring onion mash because it's soooooooo easy to do yourself but this was creamy and delicious. Our guest had a mackerel dish whilst my husband a vegetarian dish with aubergines and cassoulet which he reported to be super. We shared two cheese boards with chutney and a assortment of interesting, possibly home-made crackers. The presentation is what you would expect of an established, high end dining experience in Falmouth. But be warned, this is not a cheap night out. Three cocktails (£7.40 each), two soft drinks, two bottles of wine (£15 each and actually very good value for a rather good French Sauvignon Blanc), four starters, four mains, two cheeseboards (£8 each) - £160. On the downside, the service was patchy. The cocktails took so long to arrive that we thought the bar staff had gone to pick the limes. The wine showed up at the table quickly but soft drinks required a reminder. I think the amount of cheese on the cheeseboards was not good value for £8 a go. But, on a lovely early summer's evening in Falmouth, with the late sun lighting up the harbour, and with my husband, daughter and very good friend for company, this was rather a splendid evening overall.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your balanced review. I am delighted that we are attracting local people to our restaurant and am pleased to say that this is happening very frequently now with the people of Falmouth returning regularly.
You mention the cost a number of times, but we feel that that there is real value in what we are able to produce, and if compared with our competitors and other restaurants in Falmouth, I believe our menu's are certainly not over priced. This is a common misconception in the bar also, as you will often pay more in nearby public houses.
It was a shame to read your comments on service, this is important to me because, as readers of our TA page will know, we regularly receive high praise for the care and attentivenes of the staff.
Our Chef however, was especially pleased to read about your meal experience, you clearly have a knowledge and a passion for food and I hope you will not leave it too long before returning.
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Hotel has a fabulous location. Amazing views, and an easy walk into Falmouth. It's a bit dated in terms of decor. I've stayed in several hotels that are way better in terms of contemporary decor for the price. Ate at the Harbourside restaurant at the hotel, good food at good price. Really fresh fish.
The big, big downside is that the sound proofing in the rooms is not great so I was woken up two nights in a row by my very loud neighbour and his loud conversations, although the piece de resistance was the wedding on Saturday night that wasn't mentioned when I checked in but provided the booming
baseline until midnight! Great! Grease, Summer Lovin' blasting through the wall-not my idea of a relaxing evening and pretty fed-up that i wasn't told about this so I had a choice, because I wouldn't choose to stay somewhere where the income from a wedding party was prioritised over individual guests Kel

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Kelster70
I understand the opinion in hotels that one 'type' of customer can feel less important than another. I can assure you that this is not the case at The Greenbank. Our customers have a variety of different needs and I am pleased to say that we are capable of meeting everyone's requirements. However, this does rely heavily on communication and I am sorry if you feel we let you down on this occassion.
Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

We only stayed one night on our cycling tour of Cornwall but we would recommend it to any travellers who need a place to stay to recuperate & recharge batteries. The friendliness of the staff immediately struck us as we arrived soaked & in need of somewhere to store our bike (we were directed to a safe garage area). The room took our breath away with its size, cleanliness, atteactive decor & location overlooking the sea but most impressive to leg weary cyclists was the spa bath! Slippers & dressing gowns were also a much welcome addition. Another very useful feature was the free wi-fi which meant we could download the next days route & map onto our bike app without having to go out of the hotel or go to its public area as in other hotels. The food was delicious - being on honeymoon we treated ourselves to a champagne high tea in our room & evening meal in the Harbour Restaurant which was excellent. As was the hearty breakfast which was literally served to us with a piece of heart shaped bread - a much appreciated personal touch. All in all a hotel we want to re-visit.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for such lovely comments, and congratulations to you both! I hope that you will have the opportunity to return.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We have stayed at the Greenbank many times over the years. ALWAYS stay here when we visit Falmouth. Although the hotel is the oldest in Falmouth the rooms are spacious, comfortable and modern (lovely bathrooms) with the added bonus of a lovely view over the estuary. I love the bar with it's leather sofas and fantastic views, again over the water and the cocktails from the bar. It has a certain Art Deco feel to it which I love. The restaurant is excellent with delicious food and that view again.

Room Tip: Do get a room overlooking the harbour where you can watch the small boats travelling up and down the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
In my opinion, if you welcome return visitors regularly, it is a good indicator that you are going about your business in the right way; I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will continue to return for a very long time!
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We chose this hotel for our wedding ceremony & reception for it's stunning harbour & riverside location.The food was amazing coupled by the excellant service from Matt & his team.The bedroom was spacious,clean & comfortable with fantastic views.The staff are very friendly & professional.We would like to thank Zara the co-ordinator for her attention to detail & for making our day memorable.We would recommend this hotel for any special occasion with confidence.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane A
Zara, Matt and the rest of the team were delighted to read your comments, thank you for taking the time and we wish you the very best for your future together.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Oceanic Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
#9 of 24 in Falmouth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,074 reviews
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Greenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!