“Highly Recommend”

The Greenbank Hotel
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We had a beautiful bay window room with a view of the harbour. All in room facilities were good, although it was a small shower cubicle, and very clean. I would recommend a high floor so you don't hear the floorboards creaking above you! We had dinner in the restaurant and I had a perfectly cooked piece of steak (very rare!) and two breakfasts, which again were extremely good and there was good variety. I would definitely like to stay here again!

Room Tip: must be a harbour view, on a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha B
Paul G, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Some excellent feedback, thank you. I am pleased that you would like to visit again and hope you have the opportunity.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel is in a lovely position looking out over the harbour. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and it is only a short walk down into the town.

I was fortunate to eat 2 nights in the hotel due to staying there on business and the food is excellent, as is the wine selection (albeit a little pricey)

Would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive comments on food and service at the hotel, and indeed your recommendation to the TA community.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was in the Falmouth area for a wedding and stayed at the Greenbank for a couple of nights. It was a joy to stay there - fantastic location overlooking the harbour, friendly, welcoming and helpful staff, large comfortable room with excellent bathroom, fabulous food in the restaurant and a very nice bar with a very impressive selection of drinks and pleasant barstaff.

I can't think of any negatives at all about my stay, and I shall certainly be staying at the Greenbank again next time I am in the Falmouth area. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Paul G, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Thank you for such a lovely review, I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us so much. We will be delighted to welcome you back when you are next visiting Falmouth.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I arranged a 2-day meeting at this hotel for 12 colleagues. The feedback I got was "couldn't fault anything"; "all the staff extremely helpful", "excellent excellent food".

I dealt with the manager and the events co-ordinator - both were extremely accommodating and unphased by my very very last minute requests.

From the feedback I got from my colleagues, i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for business meetings/conferences.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Paul G, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

I remember your colleagues well, it was a pleasure to host your event and hope that we can be of use to you again in the future. It was kind of you to post a review.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I had been visiting Falmouth from Australia for a wedding, I spent the night of the wedding in the Greenbank and had one of the best experiences of my trip. The bar was excellent with a highly knowledgable barman who took obvious pride in his bar and the service he provided. The views from the terrace were spectacular, the perfect way to enjoy a drink. The room was great, very clean and well appointed, I loved the bathroom! Breakfast was lovely, on arrival in the dinning room I could choose from a selection of cereals, breads and juices. The friendly waiter then took my order for a cooked breakfast which arrived promptly and was beautifully cooked. Overall the stunning location of the hotel was only surpassed by the quality of the experience. Brilliant!

Room Tip: The rooms withi river views would be the obvious choice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben L
Paul G, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Some wonderful feedback, thank you. I was wondering who to thank for the recent weather! I am very pleased that you will take away some good memories of The Greenbank, and hope that you enjoyed your time in the UK.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Having seen the hotel in passing for many years we treated ourselves to an overnight stay, and booked our evening meal in the hotel restaurant.
The room was clean and well maintained with a fabulous view over the harbour. We were very lucky with one of the rare warm spring days, and enjoyed a glass of wine on the terrace before dinner...delightful. The menu was not extensive, but absolutely first class, we dined looking across the water to Flushing. The waiting staff were helpful and attentive. Breakfast in the sunny resataurant with the superb outlook did not disappoint.
We will definitely go there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased that you decided to stay after passing for many years, and pleased further that we did not disappoint. Thank you for your comments, please visit again, you will be most welcome.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I live in Falmouth so I didn't stay overnight in the Greenbank. This review is about its restaurant. I've lived in Falmouth for eight years and I've seen the Greenbank go through a few up and downs. When we first arrived here in 2004 the restaurant was amazing. Then it went into a bit of a decline; the quality of the food and the service went off and it started to be very hit and miss. The only consistently thing was the price - hefty! Back in 2010 we went for a family meal and I think it was probably one of the most expensive disappointments in my dining career. But we went again in August 2011 because of a new chef and new menu. Thank goodness, the food was super, and we enjoyed ourselves enormously. So we decided to try it again and I'm pleased to report that it was jolly good. It's still pricey but the food is excellent and the staff were very accommodating of my daughter's requests - which is probably just as well as there is no children's menu. My daughter had the bread basket and olives as a starter, whilst I had a delicious salmon and caviar dish. My husband had a deconstructed Caesar salad which he said was excellent and our guest had a pork dish which was equally good. For mains my daughter had hake with pea puree, new potatoes, and homemade tomato ketchup. I had the same but a la mode with spring onion mash. The fish was moist and perfectly cooked. I am always a bit suspicious of spring onion mash because it's soooooooo easy to do yourself but this was creamy and delicious. Our guest had a mackerel dish whilst my husband a vegetarian dish with aubergines and cassoulet which he reported to be super. We shared two cheese boards with chutney and a assortment of interesting, possibly home-made crackers. The presentation is what you would expect of an established, high end dining experience in Falmouth. But be warned, this is not a cheap night out. Three cocktails (£7.40 each), two soft drinks, two bottles of wine (£15 each and actually very good value for a rather good French Sauvignon Blanc), four starters, four mains, two cheeseboards (£8 each) - £160. On the downside, the service was patchy. The cocktails took so long to arrive that we thought the bar staff had gone to pick the limes. The wine showed up at the table quickly but soft drinks required a reminder. I think the amount of cheese on the cheeseboards was not good value for £8 a go. But, on a lovely early summer's evening in Falmouth, with the late sun lighting up the harbour, and with my husband, daughter and very good friend for company, this was rather a splendid evening overall.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your balanced review. I am delighted that we are attracting local people to our restaurant and am pleased to say that this is happening very frequently now with the people of Falmouth returning regularly.
You mention the cost a number of times, but we feel that that there is real value in what we are able to produce, and if compared with our competitors and other restaurants in Falmouth, I believe our menu's are certainly not over priced. This is a common misconception in the bar also, as you will often pay more in nearby public houses.
It was a shame to read your comments on service, this is important to me because, as readers of our TA page will know, we regularly receive high praise for the care and attentivenes of the staff.
Our Chef however, was especially pleased to read about your meal experience, you clearly have a knowledge and a passion for food and I hope you will not leave it too long before returning.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Oceanic Hotel
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Greenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!