“The view is unbelievably brilliant”

The Greenbank Hotel
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
St Albans, United Kingdom
“The view is unbelievably brilliant”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We spent 4 days in The Greenbank over last weekend.
The restaurant and bar overlook Falmouth Bay and the view is unbelievably brilliant.
After a long drive we spent the first evening in the bar with a few pints of ‘Betty’. Next morning it was misty and the breakfast view over the bay as the fog cleared was breathtaking. Not so the kipper. We tried to book a table in the restaurant for the following evening (Saturday) but were told that it was full. After some persuading, the reception agreed to ask the restaurant manager if he could fit two extra in. Eventually, we were successful.
Saturday we had lunch in the most southerly Polpeor Café at Lizard Point. My St. Kevern pasty with chips were great as was the wife’s crab salad. That evening we dined at the Greenbank and had the best table in the restaurant (the corner with a 260 degree view). But the restaurant wasn’t full and we guessed that the wedding party was the real reason that we had initially been refused a table. Anyway, despite the view the food was average and not a patch on my earlier St. Kevern pasty!! So, the following two nights we ate out.
But we may visit again if only for a breakfast with a tremendous view.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear samcottingham

I am delighted that you enjoyed our wonderful location and that you enjoyed your stay and would return to us.

I am perturbed, however, to hear that you found our food average - with a couple of accolades or our food I would expect a far better experience.

If you would be kind enough to email me personally it would be hugely appreciated - we must deliver more than average food and it would assist me greatly to hear your comments - ben,young@greenbank-hotel.co.uk

I hope to hear from you soon and to be able to welcome you back again personally in the near future.

Many thanks again for your review.

Ben Young

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The waitresses obviously didn't want to be there, although the food was above average.

I could hear the chefs shouting from the kitchen on numerous occasions when trying to enjoy my food.

The view from the retuarant was nice. Although, I couldn't sit outside without a strong smell of seaweed from the beach.

This was the weird bit - I picked up a dinner menu and it had rude gestures and very innapropraite language on it??? Tried to find the manager regarding this but they 'wern't available'. Terrible parking, definitely wasn't worth the price; I won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Mercedesman1

As your review is dated August 2013 it is hard for me to comment on the specific details.

What I can say is that I am sorry that you didn't have a better experience at the hotel when you stayed 10 months ago.

For your information, since my commencement 2 weeks ago we have begun a full review of the guest experience and this is touching on every single aspect of our guests interaction with the hotel.

Whatever the previous set-up, I am personally in the hotel most of the week, with an office next to the front entrance, and if I am not here there is a designated Duty Manager on hand. My management ethos is to encourage feedback from all our visitors, we cannot exist without this.

Obviously I am here to improve the hotel, therefore I would like to understand any specific issues more clearly - please email me directly ben.young@greenbank-hotel.co.uk in order for me to investigate your comments further and seek to re-instill your faith in our hotel.

St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My partner and I decided being our only day off we would relax and treat ourself to something nice. We live in St Ives where you get cream teas and food of all sorts all the time and are rather board of it all now. So we looked on the internet and found this hotel in Falmouth which looked rather nice. On arrival we thought we were a bit under dressed but it turned out that we saw some people from the wedding being held at the time. Staff were polite, friendly, welcoming and just what you need in the hospitality area! We were served fast and our food came fast. A Greenbank Afternoon tea and the chocolate afternoon tea. When it all came we were both shocked as we were only expecting one sandwich portion on both the afternoon teas but got way more than we bargained for, some lovely and varied cakes and of course two scones with jam. This was a well deserved treat and went down very nicely! Plenty of tea :-) I will definitely be telling people to come here!!!! Thank you so much guys

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ChloeMae89

Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us - it is a true benchmark in any hotel!

I hope to be able to welcome you back personally soon.

cornwall
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We went to the restaurant for a friends birthday lunch.
We were very impressed, we were warmly greeted and shown to the bar for a drink. The menus were brought to us and they were very good and just fitted the bill.
Ou table overlook the harbour and was one of the best views I have ever seen in England. The waiter was a very nice young man who couldn't be more helpful.the food was very good and beautifully presented and we all enjoyed the whole experience .To finish nicely the chef had written happy birthday on our friends dessert plate, he was delighted.
This was our first visit but it won't be the last.A nice hotel with good service,we would like to stay there overnight but it is a little close to home.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear valerieCornwall

It gives me great pleasure for my first response on Trip Advisor as the Greenbank Hotels new General Manager to be to such a lovely review.

I am genuinely delighted that the team looked after you so well, and I agree that the hotel benefits from one of the very best views in the UK, (if not Europe!), which when coupled with fine food and service really adds up to a wonderful hotel experience.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel personally in the near future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The hotel has beautiful views across Falmouth Harbour. There is plenty of boating activity to watch, either from your room (sea view only), or from one of the hotel's public rooms. We stayed 3 nights in a "Superior" room (129) and found it very comfortable. This room has a small balcony overlooking the harbour. The restaurant is very pleasant and again overlooks the water. There are two evening menus to choose from and we opted for the bar menu. This provided plenty of choice and the food was well prepared and enjoyable. The staff were all very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The hotel is well situated for a stroll into Falmouth town centre and the dock area, although similar to many town centres, there are a number of empty premises and charity shops. But there are also a number of independent galleries and clothes shops that offer the chance to buy something a little bit different.

Room Tip: Try to go for a room with a view across the harbour.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard H
Dear Richard H

Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and Falmouth in general, I am extremely lucky to work here, although I have had to move to an office without a view - it was too distracting!

I hope to be able to welcome you on-board again in the near future, thank you again for your comments.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Welcomed warmly by Nicola on reception and loved the clean, homely room (213). The view from the bay window was fantastic looking towards St Mawes and Flushing. Slept soundly and had an excellent breakfast. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Wedding plus’s and minus’s-My husband and I arrived Thursday 20th March at The Greenbank Hotel to spend a few days for our Daughter’s Wedding on Saturday 22nd March. When we arrived at the Hotel it was raining. My Husband reported to Reception to ask about unloading our car which was full of Wedding clothes including the brides dress, bridesmaid dress, cake etc etc. We were asked to go to the basement where a porter was supposed to meet us. After about 20 minutes my husband went to find someone. Sophie arrived to help us and I asked about the Porter helping us. She appeared to be the Porter! She helped us unload the car. I was shocked to see that the Wedding dress was going to be kept on a hook, hanging over a desk in the office . Obviously I wasn’t very happy about this, as it needed to be hung up properly to avoid creasing. After complaining to Sophie and asking for it to be put somewhere more suitable. I asked if it could be put into a room and she obliged. I am hoping that in future this problem will be solved for future brides. After a long journey I really didn’t need this and it shouldn’t have happened as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately we did have more blips which I will now list.

As mentioned-The dress situation. Surely somewhere clean could be laid aside to accommodate the Brides dress after all it is an important and expensive item. Please sort this out.

On the Wedding day itself. Canapés had been ordered for the afternoon. Despite all dietary requirements and information being given ages before, mistakes were made. All Vegetarian pasties had been ordered and NO meat ones as there were a lot of Vegetarian Guests in the party. All the pasties turned out to be meat. When Matt went to the kitchen to enquire he was told they were Veggie I assured him they weren’t as I wasn’t happy, as a Veggie for over 25 years I had a bite of meat pasty which was not pleasant!! Although my Daughter and Son in Law didn’t have to pay for these, the mistake should NOT have been made. By the way it was not Becky the Wedding organisers fault she had passed requirements on.

Another guest has allergies including gluten and dairy free which the Hotel were also advised of. One of the canapés served to her was fresh tomato and Mozzarella cheese despite that sundried tomatoes and sugar snap pea had been ordered. Obviously she cannot eat cheese. Same guest was given butter on her potatoes at the main Wedding Reception! Butter is dairy!!

I just hope in future that there will be more communication between staff as I thought this was badly lacking.

Despite being warned about lots of Veggies staying by Tuesday there were no Veggie sausages at breakfast. Surely more should have been ordered.

My husband and I were given an extra complimentary night but this didn’t really and excuse the pun, excuse the bad taste left after the MEAT pasties.

Such a shame that these mistakes. It reminded me of Fawlty Towers.

OK now for plus sides- The room was transformed twice into a lovely venue. All of the Staff in the Hotel were very pleasant and friendly. So I hope no one lets the side down again and that everything is checked and double checked in future. These mishaps should NOT have happened. Also there were many times when the Hotel seemed very short staffed. Please make sure you have meetings and discuss properly to address problems that might occur.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
The Oceanic Hotel
The Falmouth Hotel
#9 of 24 in Falmouth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,076 reviews
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Greenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!