“best meal at this venue,”

Rastella Restaurant
Ranked #110 of 233 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Showcasing some of the finest ingredients Cornwall has to offer, our award-winning restaurant, Rastella, is home to exquisite dishes inspired by coast and country. From Cornish line-caught mackerel to chateaubriand steak, we only serve the best of the best. Join us for breakfast, lunch, or dinner With the help of a local forager, butcher, lobster fisherman, and market gardener, we ensure only the highest quality produce arrives into the kitchen of our Falmouth restaurant. We can probably all agree that Cornish food is some of the best in the country and we'd be crazy not to take advantage of that. From local foragers, butchers, and garden marketers to the love our Head Chef puts into every dish on the menu, we have one mantra in the Merchants Manor kitchen: what grows together, goes together.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have eaten at this hotel on several occasions this year and each time it has been better than the previous visit, The fresh new decor is very pleasing on the eye and the attention to detail perfect, it also smells lovely with lots of reed diffusers and beautiful flowers. All of our meals were faultless as was the service. Already planning next visit.

1  Thank Claireayling

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went to a "Ten Mile Taster" evening, where all the produce was from a 10 mile radius of Falmouth. The menu was amazing! So much thought had gone into every course, and it was visually delightful as well as delicious. Each course was 'introduced' by a little card explaining the food and giving a description of where it was from etc. there were lots of little surprises along the way, including a garlic ice-cream! We were also entertained by a local jazz band, The Grace Notes, who were excellent.
I have also been for Sunday Roast here, which was equally as tasty.
The staff are so friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is lovely. There are also several tables with views across Falmouth Bay.

1  Thank MoonageDaydream
Reviewed 9 May 2014

THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT.service matched the quality. No rush a pleasant experience. from a diverse choice which suited all my guests including one diabetic.price reasonable.more than a meal a relaxing way to dine.

1  Thank michaelhoddy
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Easter Sunday was coming up and I through it would be a nice idea to take my mum out for Sunday lunch with my husband and daughter. I rang a couple of places in Falmouth: the Cove was fully booked (not really a surprise) and The Flying Fish at St Michael's was doing a set three course menu for £24 (I don't like being forced to eat three courses, and as the receptionist could not tell me what was actually on the set menu, I thought it was a £92 risk I wasn't prepared to take). So I rang Merchant's Manor. It used to be the Green Lawns. Back in the day, it dished up a very decent Sunday lunch indeed. Then, a few years ago, it went into a decline. We had a couple of really horrible meals there. But it was sold, became Merchant's Manor, and we hoped it would get back to a really good mid-price Sunday lunch offering. So we booked up. My first observation is that several of the main public areas have undergone a significant revamp, and they look great. The decor is fresh and contemporary without being off-putting to their core market (which was always, and seems still to be, 50-95 year olds with families in tow). On the downside, once you are through the glass door to where the loos are, the decor starts to look decidedly more tired, and I recognise the carpet as the Green Lawns original. Plus there is a faintly toilety whiff near the men's loo. However, I am assuming that there is a phased refurbishment going on and that these areas will be dealt with in due course. The ladies toilets have been refurbished and are very pleasant. Second, the Sunday lunch offering has retained the very pleasing structure of two courses for £15 and three for £18. In Falmouth, that's good value. The hostess was very pleasant and stopped for a chat. We sat in the bar as we were early, and she brought us a curried fish roll (salmon, mild curry spaces, puff pastry exterior), complements of the chef. Very nice. It's all going swimmingly. We have high hopes. The conservatory is still charming, as always, and the tables were laid up with nice white linen (perhaps fresh from the warehouse, as one of them still had a label on it). We had ordered in the bar. We all had two courses, but whereas everyone else had a main and desert, I had a starter and a main. Perhaps this was a mistake. The starter took a fair while to arrive. There were four small slices of fresh, homemade bread on the table (one brown and three white) which were scoffed at once. When it was the Green Lawns, a great basket of warm rolls was carried around the tables. This bread was nice, but there was not really enough of it. Meanwhile, my desert spoon had lipstick on it. I asked for it to be changed and it was promptly dealt with. Then everyone looked at their cutlery, and a knife had to be changed as it had something crusty on it, evidently missed by the dishwasher. But that sort of thing happens, and it was all dealt with rapidly. My starter turned up - it was cured salmon and some cucumbery bits and pieces. You know that the cure on a salmon is very mild when the cucumber puree overwhelms it. I now think I possibly don't know the difference between cured and smoked salmon, as this was way too mild to have been smoked. So the salmon was a little flavourless and it was a very small portion. And then we waited. And waited. And waited. And that gave me time to watch. The Sunday lunch service was a little ragged round the edges. Two people on a large table of six were served with roast beef. Then they were taken away - these dishes were destined for another table. A few minutes later, a large tray arrived laden with this party's lunches. It was placed down on a tray table and the waitress got busy dishing things up - but then the tray nearly fell off. Crikey, what a disaster that would have been. I don't know how the waitress saved it. We were still waiting when the foursome next to us were served. Then ours showed up - vegetable wellington, plaice for two of us, lamb for mum. A large dish of veg arrived - cauliflower cheese, red cabbage puree (possibly a little heavy on the cinnamon), peas, carrot puree, roast potatoes. But there were only six roasties between four of us. As it happens, that was just about ok for the four of us, but I could imagine that four people with heartier appetites would not have thought this was sufficient. Having said that, there was plenty of all the other veg. So it's a tricky balance. However, I would always err on the side of more potatoes and a bit less of everything else. People like roasties, so give 'em plenty! The heartiest looking dish was the vegetable wellington which my daughter enjoyed. The plaice was a small portion, and something was over-seasoned. My husband thought it was the prawns on top, but I thought it was the fish. Anyway, it was salty. But by far the biggest problem was mum's lamb. I haven't eaten lamb in over twenty years, but I'm pretty sure that lamb shouldn't look like a big slab of meat - perhaps reminiscent of a gammon steak in thickness. Mum set about it, but it was inedibly tough. When our waitress checked in, mum told her it was tough and she was offered a steak knife. That's not a good sign. In the end, mum couldn't eat it and we told the waitress who said she'd have a word with the manager. For deserts, mum had lemon meringue tart and hubby and daughter had the knickerbocker glory. These were all very nice, but mum was still disappointed about her lamb. The nice hostess came back and asked how everything was, and we mentioned the tough lamb again. She immediately offered to take it off the bill which was very decent of her. So overall I think it is a mixed picture. The decor is mostly great, apart from the bits the revamp hasn't reached yet. The service was really good: cheerful, attentive, responsive. Big tick for that. The food was pretty nice but the portions were small and that lamb was awful. But it was dealt with fairly, and that's absolutely fine. When we left, my daughter was given a Thornton's chocolate bunny, which was a nice touch. What I want is for Merchant's Manor to do everything well so that I know I can come back with mum and have a highly satisfactory Sunday lunch experience. But for that to happen, there needs to be a few wee tweakings.

1  Thank OutAndAbout40
Reviewed 14 April 2014

As guests of Merchants Manor Hotel, we had dinner at Merchants Manor Brasserie for two nights last September and had no complaints at all regarding this fine restaurant (otherwise we wouldn't have come back for a second dinner). The restaurant had been completely renovated and looked very charming and welcoming. The menu had good options and certainly a chef's signature. Wine list at very reasonable prices. Service could have been a little slow, but it didn't bother us. As a matter of fact, it gave us more time to enjoy our wines, served at very beautiful cristal glasses. Enjoy!

1  Thank LuizDutraNeto