“Fabulous!”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Room 105 had large comfortable bed, jacuzzi bath. panoramic ocean views, sun (all day) balcony and much more. With pleasing fine dining food and attentive staff this must be the best hotel in Falmouth.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear EJD84_13,

Thank you so much for your kind review - although with such a concise report, it makes it difficult for me to respond in any detail.

Suffice it to say that reviews like this are very important to us as a business. Myself and my management team, and the executive management team within the Richardson Group read and check Trip Advisor every day - and also I know that my staff do.

There are days when the reviews can have a seriously negative effect on our staff. When a review is particularly damning, people seem to forget that in general everyone here is working hard to give an excellent guest experience.

Then there are days when we receive a review like yours, which conversely has a positive effect on the team. It is always nice to know that we have achieved exactly what we set out to do.

So thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Falmouth.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

On a fleeting visit with my daughter to look at the university campus. This is a very imposing a grand seaside hotel with an impressive entrance hall. The staff were very friendly and helpful even though they were very busy in the bar and restaurant as the weather was terrible and everyone was staying in that evening. Our room was spacious with a large bathroom. I has requested a twin room but the bed was made up as a double. On this occasion it didn't really matter as the bed was so large. I liked the fact that you can open the window which is a rarity in hotels these days. The views from the bar and restaurant were beautiful and I would recommend trying to get a sea view room. We ate in the bar which had a very appetising menu, although my fish cakes were very salty, everything else was delicious. Very good and varied breakfast the next morning. The spa was a little disappointing, but perfectly adequate. I would like to return again with my husband.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear deltacopse,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am sorry about the confusion with the bed arrangement, and have informed our Head Housekeeper of your comments.

I am glad that in general you enjoyed the hotel, its food, and its facilities. I have taken on board your issues with the fishcakes and made my Head Chef aware, who is double-checking with his team that they are all working to the correct recipes.

We look forward to welcoming you (and your husband) back in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The photographs on the website show an impressive looking Victorian hotel. The minute we walked into the reception I knew my wife and I were going to be disappointed. The tiled floor in the reception area must have, once upon a time, been very impressive, but now their glory has faded. With large areas of missing tiles in such a prime area of a hotel this is unforgivable. Then we tried to book in, but we weren't on the list! To be fair the reception staff made a great fuss and our record was eventually found in the bin! We then proceeded to our room. To say it looked tired would again be the fairest appraisal; it was clean, nevertheless. It certainly left us disappointed. I think the final straw was the breakfast this morning. The cups had dirty marks in them and the napkins although clean were not ironed. This sort lack of attention to detail is unforgivable for the money that it costs to stay for a night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear tjambarker,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel - and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion. It looks as though we have seriously fallen short in some areas, although I am happy to see that in several areas you have rated us highly - in service, location, cleanliness, and sleep quality. I hope that with the aesthetic issues I can shed some light on our ongoing works.

There are some issues that you have faced that are inexcusable.

Regarding the breakfast set-up, dirty cups and creased linen are not acceptable. I have followed this up with the Restaurant team and will be closely monitoring the mis-en-place to ensure that similar mistakes do not occur again.
I have also asked my Head Receptionist to investigate how your arrival form was mislaid - again, to minimise the chances of any similar situation ever occurring.

It was only earlier this year that we discovered the 150 year old mosaic flooring underneath our main hallway carpet. In order to commence with restoration we had to remove the carpet - even though some parts of it are damaged. I still believe that the floor in its current state is better than a carpet, and at this very moment we have specialists working to repair and renovate the whole floor. Unfortunately it is neither a quick nor simple job, but it will be worth it when it is complete. In general, the feedback we have received from our guests, and the local population regarding our mosaic has been very positive and we were featured in the local press for the good work we are doing to restoring it.

Although there are aspects of the hotel that are "tired", we are dedicated to restoring the building to its former grandeur and making the Falmouth Hotel a marked name in Cornish hospitality. From the restoration of the mosaic, to the complete refurbishment of our leisure suite. From being awarded 5 out of 5 for our Food Hygiene rating, to the complete replacement of our bedroom televisions. From the refurbishment of 50% of our bathrooms, to the new provision of a children's playroom.
These are all things that have happened - or are ongoing - within the last 6 months, and we will continue to strive to renew our "Grand Dame".

I am sorry that you were so disappointed with the aesthetic nature of the hotel, but I hope that you can see that we are addressing any issues. I hope that this will make a difference in future.

If you would like to discuss any of these matters in further detail, please feel free to contact me personally at christopher.roberts@richardsonhotels.co.uk and I will be happy to answer any further questions.

Again, my apologies that we fell short of your expectations, and please be assured that we are addressing the points raised.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Visited the Falmouth Hotel, Fantastic views and spacious rooms. The staff are brilliant, very friendly, helpful not overbearing and welcoming. The hotel itself is very tired looking, stair carpets well worn and bathrooms very dated with poor showers. We had the cream tea when we arrived and it was lovely, unfortunately the evening dinner and breakfast were shocking! It was a real shame, the staff are working with poor tools so given the opportunity to serve decent food in a looked after hotel they would be the best in Europe. Its not cheap so I cant understand why a better chef isn't employed.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, well worth it and takes the edge of the poor food.
1  Thank Evelyne M

Dear Evelyne M,

Thank you for your review, and for the words of praise for our team of staff. I am sorry to read that you felt let down by the food offering on this occasion - especially considering the high scores you have given us in general regarding the other aspects of your stay.

I can only apologise for the issues that have obviously had a massive impact on your stay with us, and would appreciate the opportunity to be able to discuss the matter further with you.
I would like to ask that you contact me directly on my email, christopher.roberts@richardsonhotels.co.uk so that I can gain some further information about your stay, and in particular the dining aspect. It is vital towards our growth as a business that we react positively to any issues that face our guests so that we can ensure that any similar situation does not happen again.

The reports, reviews, and feedback that we normally receive about our food are generally positive - which makes it all the more important that I can find out more about your experience and "fix" whatever went wrong.

Again, my apologies for what has occurred, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Stayed Friday to Monday, bed and breakfast.
Room excellent.
Breakfast and bar meals satisfactory.
Reception staff very helpful.
National Maritime Museum and associated eateries five to ten minutes away.
Visits to Pendennis Castle and Trebah Gardens recommended.

Room Tip: Choose superior seaview room.

Dear Harry H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and leave such positive comments.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I have made sure that my team have been made aware of your comments.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed here for 1 night for a family wedding.

The location of the hotel is nice, with Falmouth town centre about 20-30 mins walk away.

Our room looked onto the sea and was spacious with comfy bed.

Breakfast was good, lots of choice and everywhere professional and clean.

Overall a nice hotel with good amenities in one of my favourite parts of England.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget, upgrading to sea view makes for lovely morning views of the water and ship...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Matty H,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

As you have pointed out, we have a unique and beautiful location, with the sea so close, and town just a 20 minute (flat) walk away.

It is also worth mentioning that alongside the beautiful sea views, at the rear of the hotel our top floor bedrooms have wonderful views down the river Fal itself.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Thank you for a lovely overnight stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary - a lovely "old" room, spa bath and thank you so much for the complementary bottle of champagne! The meal was absolutely wonderful as was breakfast so thank you so much and good luck with the refurb!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear Debbie S,

Congratulations on your anniversary to you and your husband!

I am glad that on this special occasion we were able to make it memorable for you and your husband - and I hope that we will be able to continue doing so for you in the ensuing years.

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts to Trip Advisor, as the feedback is always welcome and helps to show to others exactly what we are about at The Falmouth.