“In need of update”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked a "spacious" room with sea views, we got sea views, the room is small, in need of update, wallpaper falling from the walls decoration is aged. Stair carpets are threadbare from the second floor and above. Breakfast offerings show the poor level of quality of service and care.

Breakfast bar is abysmal, yoghurts un chilled, fruit juices with no lids, very poor. The toilet drainage system runs through our bathroom, it's like having a train line running through, the noise is astounding. No room air conditioning, the staff gave us a fan, no fridge.

The cost of the room was £945 for 7 nights, bed and breakfast, it is worth £70 a night at best.

It is unfortunately, a hotel which you think is going to be the best, but unfortunately it's one which makes your heart sink once you have entered the place.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, this used to be a wonderful place but time and lack of investment makes Premier...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gilman12_13
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Gilman12_13,

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to Trip Advisor, and I am sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay with us.

A "one out of five" review is something that every hotelier dreads to see, and with the addition of yours it takes us to a total of seven - which is seven too many, albeit amongst a swarm of praising reviews.

It is a real shame that you chose not to voice any of your concerns whilst you were with us - especially as it would seem that you posted your review whilst you were still resident with us.

It would have given us the opportunity to give you information where you had simply assumed. For example you have stated that our yoghurts on the breakfast buffet are not chilled. In fact they sit on a freezer plate, which keeps the items cool throughout breakfast. Our continental meats, apricots, prunes, juices, and fruit salad also sit on these. I am hoping that Trip Advisor will allow the following link to remain active so that you, and everyone else reading this "one out of five" review can see what I mean - and show that your comment was ill-founded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nf69xd4y7kjdlv/2013-08-14 06.39.00.jpg

Again, if you had mentioned any of this during your stay we would have been happy to have shown you.

When it comes to the fruit juices, you are correct, we do not have plastic lids on them. In the 180 minutes of breakfast service, we go through about 50 litres of juice, meaning that we are replacing a jug of juice every 10 minutes. I would say that it does not need or justify the inclusion of a lid - though of course we would be willing to listen to any comments our guests have.

We do not have air conditioning in the rooms, and at present we do not see the need for it. The weather unfortunately does not stay warm enough to require the installation of air conditioning throughout the building. Most of our guests prefer to have their windows open to the seabreeze. We also do not have fridges in the rooms as standard, and have never advertised that fact. We do however have a supply of fridges that we can place in our guests' bedrooms if they request it, and there is information in the bedrooms regarding this.

Again, if you had mentioned this during your stay we could have provided a fridge for you.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with the noise in your bathroom, our maintenance team will be looking into the problem and resolving it as soon as possible. Again, an issue that could have been resolved during your stay.

I try and be positive with my responses, and I think if anyone wanted to go through the numerous responses I have written, they would be able to see that in general I am fair, honest, and understanding of all feedback, good and bad. On this occasion I do feel that given the fact that some of your comments are erroneous, and that a lot of your "issues" were easily explainable if you had but mentioned it - giving us the LOWEST score possible on Trip Advisor seems a bit harsh.

There is little that I can do to change that - or the affect that your comments may have on our overall rankings. There is little that I can do to change the fact that when most people look at Trip Advisor, they look at the bad reviews first, and this review will be one of those.

What I can do is to highlight to everyone else reading this review that we are not abysmal, and that we work very hard to provide our guests with good service, food, and facilities. We are a beautiful grand old hotel, sitting yards from the seafront. We are dedicated to re-investing in our hotel, and improving our offering every step of the way.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We arrived as a large party of ten adults and children very late at night as had been let down badly by our previous holiday arrangement. We were greeted by the Night Manager of the Hotel, who could not have been more caring, friendly and accommodating. We were all without doubt extremely tired, hungry and stressed from a long, long journey and then the stress of having nowhere to stay.

However, the Managers attitude and helpfulness changed all that, food and drinks were made for us all at well past midnight with a glass of wine or two with no hesitation, and settled into our rooms.

We stayed in room 115 which was lovely, beautiful traditional details which are in keeping with the hotel, with thoughtful additions of kettle, water etc and nice toiletries...

Our friends stayed in rooms on the 3rd floor and were equally as happy.

Breakfast the next day was fantastic and a good choice served again by very nice staff who were attentive.

Thank you Jeff and The Falmouth Hotel, I would recommend you to anyone and I am very happy that by chance we have discovered you. We will definitely be saying with you again as the hotel was just perfect.

Best wishes to you all,

Sue Glanville and all the family!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view believe me this hotel is stunning!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Sue G,

It is always wonderful to get direct feedback about a member of staff, and on this occasion it seems that Geoff has exemplified the exact service and hospitality that we wish to bestow on our guests.

I am happy to say as well that as a direct result of your review, Geoff will be receiving our Employee of the Month award. We are very appreciative of his work and attitude. So often when you get to a hotel late, no-one is interested in looking after you - and everything is shutdown. It is small differences like this that make us a popular destination, and the reason that so many of our guests return.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday with your family, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Falmouth.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed during our honeymoon. The hotel gave us a very nice room, on the top floor of the hotel, lovely decor and very spacious. They left a lovely card congratulating us and left complimentary wine, which just happened to be my favourite NZ Sav Blanc!! A lovely old fashioned sea-side hotel which is currently being done up. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Top floor of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leeroy_12
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear leeroy_12,

Congratulations to you both on your marriage, and a big thank you for adding your thoughts to Trip Advisor.

I am so glad that you chose us for your honeymoon, and that we made the experience memorable for you both.

We are very lucky to have such a lovely building in a wonderful location, but we know that it is the little things that truly make a stay with us memorable. As we continue to update and renovate our hotel, we will be certain to cling to our philosophy of hospitality and service, which will make each and every stay better than the last.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Congratulations again!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We recently stayed in the Falmouth Hotel, due to being let down on a camping trip to Chy Carne.

We left the campsite due to various things that were not right.
We travelled 8 hours to get to Cornwall, so it was impossible to travel home. We drove around the area trying to find somewhere to sleep for the night, and arrange a campsite the following day.

We arrived at the Hotel at around Midnight on Monday, and was so pleased when we were told they had the rooms available for our party of 10 people. The manager on reception even offered tore-open the bar, and make us all some food also... He made our stay so welcome.

Room Tip: sea view rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear s0mewhitedude,

Thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor. I am glad that we were able to be of help when your other plans fell through.

No matter what time of day or night, we are there to look after our customers and ensure that they enjoy their experience with us. I am very happy to see that our Night Manager has exemplified this on this occasion.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Excellent food and value for money and for later afternoon after a stroll on the seafront go back for an excellent cream tea in comfortable surroundings. The location is excellent and gardens are well maintained to sit and relax after you meal and if the weather is not so good the lounge area is really lovely.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear skipmitc,

Thank you for your comments, and I am glad to see that we are looking after our local customers as well as our vacationing guests.

Our Sunday lunch is very popular, and continues to be so even though we have introduced a Wednesday Lunch Club in tandem with our Sundays. We are striving to ensure that we continue to provide delicious local produce, at competitive prices.

All our scones are homemade, and I myself often return to the hotel on my days off so that my wife and I can sit on the lawn and take in the views with a Cream Tea (Cream on top of course in Cornwall!). We have just improved this experience with the addition of a children's playframe and swings to our lawn, so that the youngsters can wear themselves out, whilst the adults indulge....

I hope you will have the chance to experience our new additions soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I can't think of many pleasanter places to sit than in the lofty and spacious lounge, bar and restaurant areas of this stylish and comfortable hotel. The unimpeded views of the sea and sky, and the fine gardens, all contribute to the pleasure. On top of that, the service was unfailingly friendly and helpful in all areas, and the bar meals were excellent. My own room had everything in it I needed and I slept very well here. The fine swimming pool is big enough to have a proper swim in and there is a gym. Altogether, a very happy experience.

Room Tip: I can't compare my room with others but it was on the second floor, very quiet, and had a fine v...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Dear suiteforsummer,

Thank you for adding your feedback to Trip Advisor. Whilst we appreciate all feedback, be it good or bad, I would be lying if I said we didn't appreciate the good feedback a little bit more!

We do have a lot to offer here, from our grand building and location, to our friendly, well-trained staff. I am glad to see that you felt so well looked after during your stay.

We are constantly updating the hotel, and improving our offering for our guests. I am certain that on yur next visit we will be able to exceed your expectations once again.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Falmouth.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The location is superb, and the views over the bay are really lovely.
The staff are very friendly and helpful,
The menus are varied and tasty.

We live locally and dine in this Hotel twice a week, and have been doing so for several months
without cause for any complaint.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Mervyn B,

Thank you for adding your review to Trip Advisor, and for your kind words.

It is vital for us as a business to be supporting and welcoming to our local customers as well as our resident guests. So often in this industry businesses focus on their guests in rooms, and ignore their local clientele. We want to be the heart of the local spirit.

To that end we have continuing plans for more fetes and fairs, a new loyalty scheme, and more work with local charities. We are sponsors of local sports teams, and running club.

I am glad that you continue to enjoy the service we provide here, and we look forward to seeing you again.