The Falmouth Hotel
US$194
US$181
Preferred Hotels
US$201
Budock Vean Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
US$298
US$199
US$192
Travelocity
1,261 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelsea viewcastle beachlounge baron arrivalbar menupendennis castlea bit tiredsea frontlovely hotelleisure facilitiescream teapublic roomslarge roomfollowing morninglong weekendscones
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We were very impressed with out short stay at the hotel. Although we were advised that the room was one of the hotels smaller rooms and may not have a view, when we arrive the room was a very comfortable size and were very pleased to have a sea view. The location was perfect, the hotel and ground very comfortable and staff very friendly. We only travelled from Devon for a weekend break ,but certainly anticipating making this a regular visit.

Room Tip: We were in rom 313-One of the cheapest rooms available, but extremly acceptable
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear karen p,

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and thank you for adding your comments and feedback on Trip Advisor.

We try and appraise all our guests of anything that might impact their stay with us, i.e. the size of room, or if we have any weddings etc on a particular date. We find that by keeping a good line of communication, our guests know exactly the experience that they will have with us. In room 313, although we do not advertise it as a sea-view - it does have a partial view along the seafront. Again, rather than advertise it as a "sea-view" and get disappointed guests, we prefer to advertise it as an "inland" room and have pleasantly surprised guests!

We hope that we will see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Yes, there were things that could have been better, e.g. the breakfast menu selection, but, generally we felt that we got what we paid for, i.e. comfort, convenient location and extremely helpful, friendly staff. One of the receptionists went that extra mile in her own time by sourcing a replacement phone charger for the one mistakenly removed from our room somehow. Meanwhile she loaned us a temporary replacement so that we could keep our phone charged till she tracked down the appropriate one for us. We left feeling relaxed and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, so don't be swayed by poor reviews, a typical chain hotel it isn't, it is quite characterful.

Room Tip: Ours was 107 with a sea view, very nice and comfortable.

Dear 421MaryB,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay, and for your feedback. I am glad that the issue with your phone was resolved (I had been appraised of it at the time by Martine), and that Martine was able to rectify the mix-up.

The Falmouth Hotel is very characterful, and we are ensuring that as we refurbish we keep to the original character wherever possible.

I am sorry that you felt our breakfast selection could have been better, and if you have the time I would welcome any further feedback you have regarding this - please feel free to contact me via email at christopher.roberts@richardsonhotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have been reading the reviews on this hotel for a couple of months now as I had booked in for 5 nights 12- 17 august and I have to say that I was a little concerned as some of the reviews were shall we say less than complimentary. I needn't have worried. This grand old hotel didn't disappoint we had a beautiful sea view room It was clean well serviced the wi-fi worked perfectly well and yes there was an early wake call with a pipe I assume everyone get some noise when the water starts in the morning it a big hotel to supply hot water to ( it would only had been one more thing for some people to complain about should there not have been hot water ) As for the food both breakfast and the evening meal we of top quality. We also eat in the bar and received the same curious service and good food. Keep up the good work guys and don't let one star get you down As they say you just can't please some people . Unless they stayed at a different hotel !!!!!!!

1  Thank Tawney0wl
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear TawneyOwl,

Thank you.

Thank you for the candour and sincerity of your review, it certainly put a smile on my face and the faces of several members of my team.

Thank you for saying the things that I wish I could, and thank you for your obvious appreciation of the hard work that the whole team are putting in.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We thought we were sharing with rats! It was like living under Niagara Falls every morning from 5am with water crashing down the pipes in the bathroom - and this went on all day. Dinner menu tried on first evening - never bothered again after that - it was so bad and the weirdest selection of combinations off putting. Service incredibly slow. Damp and dirty napkins. Breakfast pancakes tasted floury and like they came from packet. The decor in the bedroom extremely tatty and the bathroom dated. Room was described as spacious and is cramped and stuffy. The so-called Wi-Fi which was supposedly available in rooms and public areas was NOT available in our room, so had to trail down to the bar and try to carry on with my work with all the accompanying noise. Use hotels a lot for business trips and frankly get better value from Premier Inn - at least you get what it says on the tin. Would rent a place next time in preference, as friends have done - theirs has 2 bedrooms, big terrace, overlooks the harbour, extremely well appointed and cheaper than this hotel!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Muffetty

Dear MissMuffet186402,

I am very sorry that your recent stay was not to your liking, and that you were left feeling disappointed. It is not the impression that we endeavour to leave with our guests,

Our Chef and his team work hard to keep the quality of their produce high, and to keep the AA Rosette that they have been awarded for their food. I apologise if this menu was not to your liking, and we do offer more classic dishes like Fish and Chips, Sausage and Mash, and Pizza in our Castle View Bar for our guests that prefer this option. We are changing our restaurant menu set-up later this month from Table d'Hote to A La Carte, which will provide more variety and options on a daily basis - though this will still be to the same culinary standard.

It was with the help of our Kitchen team that earlier this year we were awarded 5 out of 5 for our Food Hygiene. I apologise if you felt that you were staying with rats, but I can assure you that there are none present in the hotel.

We use a local laundry for the laundering of our hotel linen, and we do operate a reject policy if we receive soiled linen (as is par for the course in the industry). I am sorry if you received any dirty linen, and I will be following this up with our Restaurant team and the Laundry to try and establish how any dirty napkins managed to get as far as a guest's table.

I apologise that the wifi signal did not reach your room. We have only recently installed the system throughout the hotel and after installation we tested the signal in all the rooms. I will take up this matter with our IT team to check our coverage again.
The wifi broadband line that services the bedroom wifi is the same as in our bar, so if that was working then it cannot have been an issue with the line.

As can happen with technology, sometimes things require "turning on and off", and if you had contacted us at the time we may have been able to help you get on to the network. The other option that we have available, and that we could have told you about, is a hard-wire CAT5 connection in every room which our business guests usually prefer to use as the connection is more secure. We keep a supply of cables in Reception just for this reason.

I can only assume from the low score of your review that there were other issues with your stay that you have omitted from the review that led you to giving us such a low score. I am surprised to have received such a low score based on your comments, especially when looking at your other reviews on Trip Advisor.

In the sub-categories you have given us an average of two or three out of five, but marked us overall as the lowest score possible.

In comparison on one of your other reviews of another hotel, despite stating that the room was "a grubby cupboard", "soiled", "dirty", and having a cold breakfast served on a cold plate, you rated them an average of one or two out of five in the sub-categories, and proceeded to give them a 3 out of 5 overall.

I would be grateful if you could contact me personally and provide some further feedback so that I can establish exactly what led to your overall rating of us, and ensure that we react and change where necessary.

Thank you for your time and your comments, and my apologies again for not fulfilling your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary and had a nice stay, on booking my wife told them of our anniversary and we got an upgrade and a bottle of champagne on arrival which was a nice touch. Staff were friendly and helpful and room was spacious and clean. The hotel could probably do with a little updating in some places but the views are lovely.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Els14,

Thank you for your comments, and congratulations on your anniversary.

Where possible, we do try and upgrade our guests with our compliments if there is a room type available on arrival. We believe that this shows our commitment to exceeding our guests' expectations, and it certainly seems to have the right effect!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff looked after you whilst you were here. We do indeed have a lovely location with beautiful views.

I would not disagree that the hotel needs some updating, and this year we have been working hard to achieve that. I have already commented in other responses of the work that we have completed, and the work that we have planned. I do not want to bore the Trip Advisor population by repeating myself, but suffice it to say that we are investing and reacting to our guests needs and comments.

I hope that we will see you again soon.