“Cornish Paradise”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have just returned from the Falmouth Hotel, where I had arranged for our Choir to stay. I must say that I was utterly astonished to see the last review since we were 76 people, and the Hotel was absolutely wonderful!!
Saturday saw a "proper" Cornish wedding complete with a visit from the town band to add to the excitement which continued until after midnight. The Hotel just took it all in it's stride!
The hotel is an outstanding example of a hotel which knows the importance of high quality in the old fashioned way. The food was well above what you could reasonably expect when there are large numbers to be served. People who want fast food will be better advised to go to McDonalds.

All our Choir members have asked me to pass on their sincere thanks to all at the Falmouth for giving us such a wonderful experience!!!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear PaulOfSplott,

Thank you for your kind words, and I am glad that your party of 76 felt so looked after during their stay.

Large parties can put a strain on service and the kitchen, but we strive to keep the same standards for our guests wherever possible. I am glad that our efforts were noticed and appreciated over the weekend.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you all back again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I took a group to this hotel on the 28th September a group of 52 people. No-one came to great us although we had rung twice to let reception know our journey progress. Only one lad came to bring in and sort out our luggage so we had to give him some help - which we willingly did but there were x4 people behind the bar laughing and giggling who could have helped us as they didn't have any customers. I blame the management. The rooms were mainly fine, however I could not use my lovely shower as there was no force of water on the forth floor. The breakfast was fine but the service at times was slow. Evening meal - some strange choices - not much for vegetarians. Meals served in a spasmodic way not serving a table at a time which meant food got cold!! No wine glasses on the table - how strange yet the other guests about 10 couples at most had a fully laid table.Staff were obliging and friendly just needed to be instructed what to do. Needs modernising.

Room Tip: You need to have a room recently decorated and one with a sea view if possible not on the top floor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear mondeo4,

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations on this occasion, and I hope that being from a Tour Operator and therefore having a working relationship with us, you will have relayed your concerns through the appropriate channels. There are certainly some items that you have mentioned that would have been confirmed during the group booking process, such as the shortened menu and dining service, that would benefit from being discussed with the booking agents so as to avoid any misconceptions on future visits.

I do apologise for any water issues that you may have experienced during your stay. I have recently returned from holiday and it would appear that an intermittent fault with our boilers that we thought had been remedied has resurfaced. Please be assured that we are rectifying this issue that only occurs in times of high demand.

I hope that we will receive further details from your company soon so that we can resolve any outstanding issues.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have been staying at The Falmouth Hotel occasionally for over 40 years. Having moved back to Cornwall 2 years ago, as locals we have attended many weddings and birthdays.
Also have had many great Sunday Lunches and meals.

Yes I agree with the comments that over the years, it has got faded and out of date.

Not withstanding, we so love the hotel, we have booked a small party to celebrate our wedding anniversary in November, with family and friends.

The staff have been amazing with helping us sort out our arrangements and booking rooms, especially Jane Williams, we are only booking for 12, we have been treated with such respect and kindness, for such a small booking.

A big thank you, we look forward to our stay

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank IreneK1
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear IreneK1,

I am very sorry for the delayed response to your review, I am not sure how I managed to miss it.

Thank you for your kind words, and especially your praise of Jane who was very pleased to read your comments.

I hope that you have been able to see many of the improvements we have made to the the hotel in the past year, and I thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

I hope that we will see you again soon, and I wish you a (belated) happy anniversary.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here end of September. Excellent location. We had a sea view room on the fourth floor. It looked newly refurbished. A very good sized room, with comfortable sofa and bed. We were also contacted to tell us there were functions on during our stay. We were told we were on the fourth floor away from the noise. We did not hear a thing from any function either night. We really appreciated the phone call warning us, even though it did not affect us at all. We did not use the restaurant, except for breakfast, which was very good. We ate from the bar menu one evening. Service and food was very good. Overall a very pleasant stay and would use this hotel again. All staff friendly and helpful.

Dear Holidayaddict023,

Thank you for adding your thoughts and comments to Trip Advisor, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do quite often get very busy with local weddings and events at weekends, but we work hard to try and ensure that these have little impact on our guests who are on holiday for a relaxing break.

We have just recently updated our Bar and Restaurant menu, which are proving very popular. I hope that we will be able to entice you into our restaurant on your next stay.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 7 October 2013

my wife & I stayed here recently as we were attending a charity ball at the hotel. we have stayed before and know some of the staff. it was as good as always, lovely room, wonderful service and a great breakfast. the hotel has a faded elegance but is being modernised and is very comfortable. highly recommended.

Room Tip: if you like an attic feel ask for room on floor 4.

Dear john h,

Thank you for adding your review to Trip Advisor, and I am glad to see that we have continued to meet and exceed your expectations of us since your last review.

It is lovely (as always) to know that we can stand out from the crowd, and entice local residents to stay with us as a treat on special occasions, rather than get a taxi home after our charity events.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Falmouth.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have stayed here for work and returned for short breaks many times
Everything about this Hotel is excellent, location, rooms,food,staff,leisure facilities
So nice to stay in an old fashioned hotel with excellent facilities
Yes some rooms are a little tired but they are updating & upgrading
Recommend this Hotel to anyone 100%

Room Tip: ask for sea view, or cottages and flats also offer excellent accomodation
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Simon R,

Thank you very much for your kind words, and for taking the time to add them to Trip Advisor.

I am very glad to see that we have consistently made your stay enjoyable - in all aspects of the hotel, and I am glad to see that you would happily recommend us.

We are working hard at updating the hotel, and I am happy to see that this has been noticebale on your stays with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Falmouth.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This was the second time we had stayed here, on both occasions for a wedding, these visits were 4 years apart, and although we appreciate that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment, we felt that on both visits that for the rates charged, the rooms were somewhat tired, the flat pack style bedside units had chunks of trim missing, the curtains in the room needed either cleaning or replacing. Beverages supplied in the room were rather mean. On the plus side, the room supplied for the wedding breakfast was stunning, and the meal was very nice, although the only hot component of the meal got cold while we waited an age for vegetables. The staff were helpful and friendly, but we were surprised to be asked for full payment for our room on arrival, before viewing the room despite the hotel having taken our full credit card details on booking. In conclusion having stayed in numerous hotels of all standards throughout the world we feel that overall the Falmouth Hotel needs to "raise its game" if it wants to be considered superior to a budget motel.

1  Thank Ian248

Dear Ian248,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, and I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations.

We are undergoing refurbishment, and striving to improve our aesthetics throughout the hotel. It is a shame that the hotel was unloved for such a long period of time in the past and lacked the positive investment that is now forthcoming.

We are working hard to bring everything about the hotel up to a high level, and this year we have gone a long way to achieving that - from refurbished bedrooms and corridors to our leisure club. We will continue to invest and improve the hotel, and I am certain that on your next stay with us you will see a marked improvement - especially as there are only a finite number of our standard inland rooms left that need updating. In the next year we intend to bring these up to the same standard as our other rooms, and continue with refurbishing our bathrooms across the hotel.

I do apologise if there was an issue with the service of vegetables at your function, and I have enquired with my banqueting team as to any issues that they were made aware of, or any feedback, so that we can investigate the matter further.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and showing you what we have achieved.