“Short break by David and Joan”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Short break by David and Joan”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

An excellent short break to recover from knee replacement, with the special offer very good value Everything in the restaurant has improved since our last visit earlier in the year However a new menu has been introduced , instead of the classic and many traditional dishes are no longer there Very good food and much appreciated by many but our preference is for more traditional food. Perhaps such a course(s) could be added to the new menu. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and ALL the staff were helpful courteous and a credit to Richardson Hotels. Would thoroughly recommend it to other prospective guests.

Room Tip: Many rooms are too hot even with no heating on Ask for a cool and refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear JoanandDave_13,

Thank you for your review and your feedback.

We have recently changed our dinner menu, as you have noted, and we are keen to acquire as much feedback as possible. I have noted your comments about more traditional food on the menu, and discussed them with our chef. We have since amended some items on the menu. We are also trialling a variety of "specials" and asking for guest feedback on these dishes.
Overall, we want to ensure that all our customers have the dishes and choice that they would like. I am sure that you will find the experience more to your liking on your next visit.

I am glad that our staff made you feel so welcome during your stay, and for me the ultimate accolade is to see that you would happily recommend us.

Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Christopher Roberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have stayed here many times and have always received a warm welcome.The evening meal in the bar was good and the House wine very tasty.Breakfast was as always very enjoyable with the dining room looking out over the sea.The swimming pool was warm and well kept and the Jacuzzi was relaxing.The bedroom was excellent with comportable beds and spotless bathrooms.My wife and I will be returning as soon as we are able

Dear Nelson K,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay, and I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

I am glad that dining experiences were to your liking, as they are an intrinsic part of any hotel stay. We are proud of our food offering throughout the hotel, from our Bar menu to our locally sourced breakfasts.

As I am sure you are aware, we refurbished our leisure complex area earlier this year, and many of our guests enjoy the relaxing environment.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We recently met up with some friends at the Falmouth and had a terrific long weekend. Breakfast and dinner were terrific and the chef obliged by letting us have one of his recipes. Our friends were very impressed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear FredG051153,

Thank you for your review, and I am very glad to see that your friends and you enjoyed your weekend away.

We have recently changed our dinner menu, as I have alluded to in a few other responses, and we are eager for any feedback. It is always nice to have good feedback though, and I will be certain to pass yours on to our kitchen team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at The Falmouth.

Kind regards,

Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

First we honeymooned here for the weekend and had a very nice room , the staff were great , The food fantastic , we returned 2 months later and things were even better. such comfy beds, its a shame breakfasts not served till later as that's not one to miss either .... Thankyou

Room Tip: pay the extra and have the sea view if you can , the sun streams in
Dear Mike1968130368,

Thank you for your review, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am especially glad to read your review, as you can see how we have improved in the last 2 months. We are striving to improve the hotel, and the overall experience for our guests.

If you would like a later breakfast on your next stay, please let me know, and I am sure that we will be able to arrange something for you!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Ivybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently had a long weekend at the Falmouth Hotel with friends. I can now understand some of the earlier reviews as the renovation is very apparent in some areas but not in others. Our 2 rooms were both excellent although one did have come dampness in the corner which was unfortunate but not a major problem. They were obviously among those already refurbished although not that recently I would imagine as there were some signs of wear and tear. Overall though I would rate them very highly.

The bar and restaurant are not that welcoming and are do need some loving care and attention. We were there the night the roof leaked although it was not that dramatic and a strategically placed ice bucket saved the day! The damp is also apparent in the stair well area with paper hanging off in some places. In view of the location I suppose some dampness in a building of this age.

There were functions on 2 of the 3 nights we were there and this did mean that some areas were busy and there was nowhere quiet to sit and chat. It wasn't a major issue but when paying over £100 a night for a room it is not what I would normally expect.

The inclusive buffet breakfast was very limited and we only bothered with it once. The menu in the restaurant was also disappointing and the general feel in there led us to eat elsewhere which gave a greater choice and at much lower cost.

The staff were very friendly and service at reception and in the bar was excellent.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay but have certainly had equally good breaks at lower prices elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Brucen865,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay, and I am glad that in general you enjoyed your stay.

As you have noted, with a hotel of this size and age sitting on the seafront, there are constant issues to battle. We are making headway though, and in fact the stairwell that had damp issues at the top has had attention given to it this week.

I am sorry that you were not enticed by our new Restaurant menu. We have just introduced it, and are still tweaking some aspects based on our guests' feedback. I am glad to say that in general it has been well received, but I will certainly pass on to the chef your concerns on the amount of choice.

With regards to breakfast, I am not sure if there was some confusion. The inclusive breakfast includes the buffet, and a cooked plated breakfast. This is included for all guests staying with us on B&B or DBB terms. It sounds as though you did not realise this. I am sorry if there was confusion.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Falmouth soon.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I would highly recommend anyone treat/pamper themselves at the new 'Spa@Falmouth', with their new beauty therapist 'Iris.' Very welcoming, polite, friendly and relaxing atmosphere.
I am very pleased with the result of my treatment and found it excellent value for money. I will be returning to the Spa for further treatment's.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Helen D,

Thank you for your review of our newly re-opened treatment rooms.

I am glad that you enjoyed your treatment with Iris, and I printed out your review to show her this morning. She was very touched by it, and happy to see the good feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The following review is a true and honest personal opinion of our recent visit to this once beautiful hotel, as required by Trip Advisor Guide lines.

We stayed for 5 nights on a B&B+ED winter deal, Friday 1/11/13 Check out Wednesday 6/11/13 and at £600+ On seeing our room we wish we had chosen another hotel!!
The Falmouth Hotel is badly in need of an immediate complete refurbishment!
The breakfast was adequate and plentiful, dinner menu was exactly the same every day which was disappointing, quite a lot of food served on bare wooden block, not to our choice, didn't feel hygienic to us, not a good vegetarian choice either, plenty of fish dishes though, understaffed and tired restaurant/dining room, had to wait a long time between courses, but it does have lovely views over the Bay while you are waiting.
Although some bedrooms have, -so I heard -but didn't see, been updated while the hotel is still open for business, it may have been a better idea to have closed it from November while the complete refurbishment took place, (this is bourn out by the smell of paint in some of the upstairs corridors) then giving the 'Grand Damme' her grand re opening in spring next year.
The twin room we were allocated 213 was small to say the least, with the paper literally hanging off the damp walls under and around the window, this is due to the wall being soaking wet, the paint on frames is yellow and peeling and the wooden window frames are rotting, the carpeting is not fitted under the carpet strip between bathroom and bedroom, therefore could be a trip hazard! H&S??? this room has a partial side sea view.
The beds, because of the lack of space, were pushed tightly together with not even a slight space between, the bedside tables were touching the bed and walls which gave you about two feet between walls and bed.
Two single wardrobes at the foot of the beds, one each side of the dressing table that had three drawers each side, mirror and small flat screen TV, with just enough room between bed and dressing table for you to sit on the chair.
The bathroom although tiled, was small and dated, the shower over the bath had a curtain and the shower head that had seen better days, was beginning to corrode, an antiquated expel fan in a magnolia box over the bath was noisy, thank goodness you could turn it off.
The windows in the bedroom, dining room and main lounge areas appear to be all the original windows, and are single glazed, and draughty, it rained heavily one evening and the rain came in through the gaps between glass and window frames in the lounge/bar -due to the putty having deteriorated over the years, -it bubbled up under the patio doors and the ceiling in two places sprung a leak. This was inspected the next day and maintenance man sealed bottom of window glass with mastic.
They had travelling reps conducting meetings in the morning and into the afternoon, with their laptops and mobile phones meeting clients, so if you feel like a quiet read, not much chance.
The bar and restaurant is open to non residents, -as is the leisure facilities sauna pool and Gym situated downstairs in the basement, -so you never know who is a guest or a day visitor around the hotel, not good for security.
On our first night there was a presentation awards function with dinner for the local newspaper, -attended by the hotel owner - (who piloted his own private helicopter on to the front lawns, causing a bit of excitement) so the residents were moved for dinner down to the impersonal function room/ 'Ballroom' downstairs, while the party had the restaurant, later they completely took over the lounge bars, so several guests retired to their bedrooms.
The next day-Saturday, they had a small wedding party but they used the function room,/ballroom so at least resident guests got the dining room/restaurant back for dinner! (to be fair here we did receive a call 2 days before we travelled to say that two functions would be held on this weekend at the hotel and asked if we minded? not much chance we could have found alternative accommodation at such short notice though)
On the positive side, no air conditioning, but room has self controllable central heating.
Keith Richardson should be proud of the staff he employs here, all are very welcoming, courteous and go the extra mile to assist with your needs and any problems. But for them I would have given only maximum 1 circle rating
So come on Mr Richardson, you have 4 other hotels in Cornwall, so why not close the Falmouth before trying to bring it back to its former glory?

Room Tip: Check it is one that has been refurbished first!
3 Thank Evie C
Dear Evie C,

Thank you for your review, and I am sorry that the hotel fell short of your expectations on this occasion. It was disheartening to read your comments, and I hope to be able to address some of your concerns and queries.

It is very easy to get overly defensive when receiving reviews such as yours, and I could write a long-winded response, where I went into the nitty-gritty of exactly how many dishes we have on the menu & exactly what refurbishments we have done.

But, that would be missing the point.

The point is that you were disappointed by your experience with us, and there were several factors that affected your stay negatively. For that I am truly sorry, and I can assure you that this is not the experience that we wish to give our guests.

I am acutely aware of our aesthetic failings, but we are working hard to fix them. Unfortunately with a building of this age and size, what might seem like an easy fix can often be far from that. The leak in the bar only happens in particular weather circumstances, and we have investigated several times, replaced pipework, replaced masonry - and it still prevails. We will continue to investigate until we discover exactly what caused it.

Of course there is a question of personal preference and opinion, as you have stated at the start of your review. I believe that in general we are performing and providing a good experience for our guests - which can be seen in the majority of other recent reviews.

I am sorry that you did not receive this experience yourselves, but I hope that you will keep an eye on us and maybe give us another chance in the future.