“Disappointing Stay”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Having enjoyed an excellent New Year celebration in its sister hotel in Fowey we were delighted to have news of a special offer at this hotel which coincided with a concert in the area to which we had tickets. When we arrived we had trouble finding a parking space, there was a gang of smokers around the entrance and the area immediately around the entrance was littered with their detritus. Ramps designed to make the hotel accessible to disabled people were a hindrance to able bodied people and their luggage. The room was clean and well furnished, though small. We had paid extra for a sea view but the small widow of our garret room did not offer much of a sea view. The bathroom was well appointed and clean. Lunch, food and service were just about alright. The breakfast buffet was meagre and unappealingly laid out. Our appetites were not improved by being served by a waiter in a dirty waistcoat. We will return to Fowey but not to Falmouth and we will not take the Richardson label as a guarantee of quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarryAla
Chris-Roberts_HM, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Barry Ala,

Thank you for adding your review, and I am sorry that we were not to your liking. It is clear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I do apologise for this. There will always be some hotels that appeal to some people over others, and although we are similar to the Fowey in many respects, there are also many ways that we differ, especially being in Falmouth itself.

Having stayed at The Fowey, I can understand its appeal in comparison to us, we are a different style of hotel. We are a lot bigger, and a lot busier - a victim of our own success!

When it comes to parking, we have space for over 100 cars in our grounds. This includes our self-catering cottages and apartments. It is more than enough for each of our lettable rooms, however there are times when our non-resident guests and leisure club users combine to put our extensive parking to its limits. Luckily for us, the hotel is surrounded on all sides by roads that have no restrictions on parking so there are other available options within a minute's walk during peak times. In contrast, the Fowey has 37 rooms with only 17 parking spaces. It is strange that this is a reason for dismay between us and our sister hotel.

Our disabled ramps are not permanent, and are lifted up and replaced several times a day. It is vital that we provide access to the hotel for guests with limited mobility, and I am proud of the lengths that we go to to establish this - and with the extra amenities within the hotel and bedrooms. I do apologise if this inconvenienced you, however it is not something that I am willing to change.

Being situated where we are, we can attract a wide variety of visitors, from families and couples, to businessmen and wedding parties. With the strictures on smoking internally, our guests are obliged to smoke outside - and with larger groups this can mean that several people go at the same time. Especially with the weather as it is at present, they then tend to shelter in the same place to the right-hand side of our main entrance. As you have mentioned, there can be some detritus during the day, but our cleaning staff are always on hand to remove this, and as part of their daily routine they check this area at intervals during the day. I will be investigating options of installing a shelter away from the main entrance in the future.

Across the Richardson Group, our breakfast offering and breakfast menu have been standardised across the three cornish hotels, so whatever was offered to you at The Fowey, would have been the same here. For the benefit of anyone else reading this review, our meagre buffet offering consists of: Orange, Apple, and Grapefruit Juice (with further juices available on request), Granary and White toast, Chorizo, Salami, Emmental, Edam, Croissants, Pain au Chocolat, Apple Pastries, Cinnamon Rolls, Custard Pastries, Jam Pastries, Apricots, Grapefruit, Fruit Salad, Prunes, Natural Yoghurt, Fruit Yoghurt, Fruit Basket, 8 types of cereal, Jam, Honey, Marmalade, and Marmite. Alongside this we have gluten free options available on request, and porridge. Included in our breakfast rate is all our cooked items, which cover the usual "Full English" items, and the addition of Cornish Hogs Pudding, Smoked Haddock and Kippers, Grilled Tomatoes and Pesto, Eggs Benedict, American Pancakes with Bacon and Maple Syrup, and Scrambled Egg and Salmon. All cooked fresh to order.

Our rooms have magnificent views out across the bay, however on our fourth floor due to the gabled architecture, the windows are slightly smaller than on the other floors. This affects only a small number of our sea-facing rooms.

The waiter's uniform should not have been dirty, and I have furthered your comments to our F&B Management. I apologise if this affected your breakfast, and please be assured that it is not how we expect our staff to appear.

I have also noted that on the breakdown of location, service, value, rooms, cleanliness, and sleep quality - you have not marked a single one at 2 out of 5, in fact providing an average rating of nearly 4 out of 5. Yet your overall rating was 2 out of 5.

I hope my comments have clarified some of the points you have raised, and been of use to anyone reading this response.

Thank you again for your comments, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel seemed unusually full for the time of year. The staff coped well and were very courteous. The hotel is nicknamed the grande dame, this is quite apt if the dame you are thinking of is 'average' and you don't mind a bit of drabness and a chilly room. The noise at the hotel was unacceptable on our first night! Laying in bed we could hear every word of every song played in the function room, this combined with the storm noise ( single glazed windows) meant a restful night wasn't what I experienced. There were however positives - the food was excellent - tasty with generous portions. The spa was nice especially the massages, the pool area was nice but was a bit noisy with young and excitable children.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear elizabeth3172,

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments, and I am sorry that some aspects of your stay were not to your liking.

As you are no doubt aware, the hotel is very open to the elements being a literal stone's throw from the open ocean. This has meant that with the icy winds and pouring rain it has affected us a little, though thankfully not so much as in other parts of Britain. I think it says something for the architecture and building standards of the time, when a 151 year old building still stands strong in the face of such vicious and unabating weather.
Where this becomes an issue is with things like the windows, where due to the age of the building and the Grade II listed status, our hands are somewhat tied on what we can do to improve the Victorian "double glazing".

I am glad that you did enjoy the food, service, and spa on your visit with us. The next time you book, can I suggest that you speak with the hotel direct and one of our reservation team will be able to help select a room to your preference. Our Premier Inland Rooms are generally out of the way of the direct sea wind, and from any public area. They also benefit from views out over the harbour and up the River Fal.

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward toi seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

as entertainers we played here for a private party,and stayed for one night,which was payed for by the party host.Hotel very nice in general.as previous poster said. staff(only one).we arrived and reported to reception. receptonist was expecting us,knowing our room and food was paid for.she snobbily said the room and service is paid for...but dont abuse the service !!. we are still trying to figure out exactly,what business of hers it was to begin with,even tho we were told by the host(and our friend i may add)we could order what we like.As it stood,we only ordered a sandwich,as we never abuse a hosts courtesy anyway ! what it had to do with the receptionist baffles me.The host found this offensive to,and told her so,especially as she had spent a large amount of money for the function and many guests staying here. As professional entertainers who have travelled around the world,and played at many 5 star premises,we found this comment very offensive,and suggest she take a course in customer courtesy.you are fronting reception for a very nice hotel...not fawlty towers !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear steve s,

I am truly sorry that your experience at check-in was not up to scratch, especially considering the fact that apart from this you obviously enjoyed every other aspect of your stay.

Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to establish who you spoke with, or even the date on which you stayed. I always like to fully investigate these issues so that we can fix them and move on, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me personally at the hotel to discuss the matter in more detail. Apart from your comments here, I have no further information available to me - either from yourself or the organiser of the function.

It is especially baffling for me, as our Reception team generally receive more praise than any other department in the hotel for their warm welcome, helpful nature and natural friendliness. I would appreciate being able to investigate any weak link.

I hope that this one aspect of your stay has not too badly damaged your opinion of us, and hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Today I visited the hotel for a birthday/family lunch, with 2 babies and a child.
Everything was great until I had to feed my baby, we asked where I could feed my baby as I felt other people in the lounge may feel uncomfortable. We asked the server if there was a room available and she told us to feed him in the toilet!! You wouldn't eat your dinner in the toilet so why should my child? My mother-in-law discussed with the server to sit in the room next door which was open to the public and people kept walking in, to their discomfort and mine. When i came back in the woman was glaring at me as if I had done something wrong.

I wont be returning with my family as i was very disappointed with the service!!

On a positive the male waiter was very friendly and professional!! And that food was great!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Taisaac

Dear Taisaac,

Thank you for your comments, and I am very sorry that despite the excellent food and service, you felt alienated on this visit to our hotel.

As a father, myself and my wife are strong believers in the benefits of breastfeeding, and from experiences with our first child I know that it is not always easy. I was therefore surprised to read your comments and immediately investigated them.

The waitress in question has apologised wholeheartedly for any misunderstanding in this matter, and from speaking with her she understood that you were asking about baby facilities (changing etc) which was why she directed you to the toilets. It was the male waiter that was with her at the time who realised that this was not the request, and who suggested using the room adjacent to the bar. This room whilst public, has two doors which can be closed, and it is also not a thoroughfare - negating any passers-by.

If you had have requested a completely private room, of course this would have been of no issue as we have several meeting rooms, and bedrooms that you could have used. I do not think that either of the staff that your Mother-in-law spoke with were made aware that this was what you wanted.

I can only apologise for the misunderstanding, and from our end we have taken steps to ensure that a similar situation does not happen again. We have instructed all Front-of-house staff to double-check the requirements of anyone who has a similar request, and also to offer the option of a completely private room. I am sure that this will avoid any similar confusion.

I am glad that apart from this, your experience was a good one. I can only hope that this one aspect has not been so overwhelming as to dissuade you from visiting us again, and I hope that you can appreciate the steps we have taken to ensure that our staff take the proactive approach in the future to establish our guests' exact requirements before directing them to the wrong destination.

If you do wish to discuss any of this in further detail, thenh please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Husband and I stayed in the premier plus room with balcony and spa bath etc. Very large and comfortable room. Excellent breakfast, I chose poached eggs on toast with smoked salmon. The salmon was thick and very tasty. We chose this hotel for its position right on the sea front and for its facilities. The swimming pool and whirl pool were very warm, but not as warm as the welcome from the lady in the spa area. She was most helpful and you can have as many clean towels as you wish. She told us that she was already past retirement age but enjoyed her job so much that she has carried on working, you tell she took huge pride in her work and wants the visitors to get the most from their stay. If you want a classic hotel then this is ideal, it date from around 1865 or so. Exudes history and charm.

Room Tip: The view from the premier plus room is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jackie12Devon,

Thank you for your comments, and I am very happy to see that you obviously greatly enjoyed your stay with us.

As I have mentioned in other comments, the hotel benefits from a beautiful location, and positive re-investment from the owner - however it is our staff who help us to stand out from the crowd. From Iris in the Spa, to our housekeeping team, and from reception to the Kitchen, all team of staff are encouraged to use their natural friendliness to ensure that for our guests, the hotel is a home away from home.

I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We have stayed at the falmouth hotel many times and continue to enjoy it every time we come and stay. The hotel has a very special meaning for me and my fiance as we got engaged on the beach at the front of the hotel whilst we were staying there 3 years ago and it has lots of memories with us as well.The character of the hotel is beautiful and the views are amazing over the sea from the bar lounge and the rooms with a sea view are the best to book to appreciate the view it is stunning and very tranquil. The breakfast is good especially the full English but my partner was disappointed with no black pudding!!!! (It has been served on previous visits). I cannot comment on the evening dinner as we have not eaten in the restaurant in the evening. We have just visited the hotel on 30/1/14 and stayed for 3 nights for my birthday and our room was 206 with a beautiful sea view and a nice spacious room. We were a little disappointed with the shower in the room as not very powerful at all but it was bearable. My next disappointment was the sheets not being changed when it was evident that they had marks on(this was from us having breakfast room service) the bed was made without being changed. I did go to reception and discussed this and the sheets were changed straight away.This sounds a very minor thing to moan about but we are paying good money to stay. However the reception staff were very apologetic and it was dealt with straight away.
I would like to say that we have been visiting falmouth and have always stayed at this hotel for the last five years and we have never had to complain before about anything and this was a minor hiccup that is now forgotten. We will continue to use this hotel for many years to come and continue to enjoy this beautiful place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear noonoos,

Thank you for your review of The Falmouth, and I am glad that the hotel continues to be a special place for you.

I am glad that you have included the hiccups that you encountered during your stay, as if no-one says anything, we can often be left unaware.

Our maintenance team have fixed the shower in 206, finding that the internal tubing on the shower head had become twisted inside. This has now been rectified, and the shower is back to full strength. I have also ensured that our Head Housekeeper has followed up on the issue of the bed with the member of staff responsible for cleaning your room that day.

I hope that we will see you again soon, and perhaps we can tempt you to join us for dinner, giving you another reason to tempt you back!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We had stayed at the Falmouth Hotel previously & were impressed by its location & facilities.
This time we stayed for 3 nights in a lovely room with balcony overlooking the sea, what a magnificent sight!
The room was very comfortable & nicely furnished & the spa bath very relaxing after a day of sightseeing.
We ate in the Castle Restaurant each evening & found the menu offered a very good choice of innovative dishes, all cooked, presented & served to perfection. Similarly, breakfasts were a delight, especially as you could watch the sun rise over the sea as you were dining.
The lounge is a peaceful unhurried area with sofas & easy chairs where you can again admire the wonderful view prior ( or after!) to your meal.
Overall a perfect time & our thanks to the helpful & cautious staff, our only regret was not being able to stay longer!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S

Dear Paul S,

Thank you very much for your review, and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Falmouth Hotel does have a lot to offer, the magnificient views are certainly a starting point, but our continued focus to attention to detail, excellent food and service, and investment, I believe make the difference.

I will be sure to pass your comments on the food on to our Head Chef, who will be very appreciative.

I hope that you are faring well in the storms, and hope that we will see you again soon.