“1 night stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Falmouth
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“1 night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here overnight on a business trip. Great location and very impressive building. Upgraded from single room to twin room but room very outdated and in need of refurbishment. Used room service for evening meal and very impressed. Breakfast was very good with great views of the bay. The hotel looks very tired and in need of updating. Would stay again but don't really think it was worth the price paid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wendy P, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel and your comments are duly noted. We are at present working on an on going maintenance program for refurbishing. I do hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Wendy Parry - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Branscombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a charming hotel with fabulous views over the bay and some very nice walks only minutes away again with wonderful views. My room on the 3rd floor had been recently refurbished and was very pleasant though the bathroom was still a little tired, I had tremendous sea views from my room. My dog was looked after with doggie treats and blanket.
I only gave this hotel an average rating due to the dining experience. At dinner the food was mediocre, the service very casual and lacking any finesse but the views were great. At breakfast toaster was kapput and they ran out of marmalade!!! Awaiting delivery I was told, surely a little bit of initiative could have sorted this - shops only 10minutes away.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Wendy P, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. Please accept my apologies we ran out of marmalade. All our award winning preserves are made here at hotel and not shop bought. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Wendy Parry, General Manager
Falmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Chosen for a romantic break and a base for some Cornish touring, the hotel has an elegant charm with a quiet seafront location. Our deluxe double room was disappointing for although it had a sea view the room was cramped and the bathroom and fittings were 1970's era. We were upgraded to a top floor room which had been recently refurbished and this met our expectations. Our excellent breakfast set us up for the day and whilst our bar meal was disappointing we were given a full refund.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel and I do hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Wendy Parry - General Manager
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Well done to the Falmouth hotel. Much better stay than last year, so I guess the feedback I left last year helped?!...

ok so here are the highlights

+ great location
+ great food
+ improved décor and maintenance (new carpets etc) - but still has that traditional Victorian Great British feel.... I.e. not overly modern, which is nice.
+ New bathrooms are great in the rooms
+ Booking process was fantastic - more on that to follow.
+ Friendly reception staff (a positive change from 2-3 years ago).

OK I was really happy from the moment we booked this year, as I had reserved two rooms in the hotel, and one cottage. One of our party could not make it, so I called the booking team 10 days before our stay, expecting to lose our £100 deposit. I fully expected to lose it, but Jessica (I think) was amazing she actually put the £100 deposit as a credit to the other room.... now that's customer service for you.

Well we have already booked to come back next year (my only concern is the price next year is 30% more, but we will see closer to the time as they are unable to be specific). Thanks for another great stay.

Room Tip: All the premier sea view rooms are nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TimAll
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in future. Kind regards - Wendy Parry, General Manager.
Horsham, W. Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at the Falmouth Hotel on the night of my sons wedding. May 2014. The wedding was at 1pm but the hotel were unable to let us have our room before the wedding. Thankfully my daughter was already staying there and I had to get changed in her room. There was a dispute over the cost of the rooms for a number of our guests, different rates were being charged.
The day before the wedding - the wedding co- ordinator whom had been dealing with my son and his bride to be, emailed them to say she was unable to complete the wedding for them as she was leaving their employment, and her deputy did not work on a Saturday. On the morning of the wedding I wanted to set up the cake, I asked where the wedding cake was to be displayed and the restaurant manager took 10 mins to arrive.
My daughter in law to be, had made notes regarding what she wanted where and when, but they apparently had not looked at the notes and there were several items which were not there.
I find it difficult to understand why the deputy co ordinator had not been asked / told that she had to replace the co ordinator who had left.
Our room was not over big and bathroom was minute if someone was in there was no room for anyone else. The staff appeared to be disinterested and not happy to be there.
On the positive side the food once served was V good. The weather was superb.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wendy P, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. I am sorry you went through this. Very sadly we were left in the lurch at the last minute regarding our previous wedding co-ordinator. Our wedding co-ordinators always work Saturdays and had her deputy had known what was going to happen she would have been there most definitely. We do pride ourselves on the quality of food and the level of service we give and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I do hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Wendy Parry - General Manager
Telford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed at the Falmouth Hotel for a single night on the 17th May. The hotel itself is a beautiful building and the location is great being right on he sea front. We had a sea view room which was clean and spacious and despite there being a wedding reception party goinginto the early hours we never heard any noise and a good nights sleep. The only disappointment was the breakfast the following morning. We went down early as we had a long trip back home and despite there beingonly oneothe table occupied with guests the service was abysmal , this despite a number of staff just standing around chatting among themselves. The breakfasts themselves were very small portions and my smoked salmon and scrambled egg came on two tiny triangles of toast with a couple of small slithers of salmon which was very disappointing. It was a shame really ast the hotel and the rooms were very nice indeed

1 Thank Dawesy1
Wendy P, General Manager at The Falmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. I sincerely apologise that you did not experience our normal great service for breakfast. All your comments will be discussed with the relevant departments to ensure this does not happen again. I do hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Wendy Parry - General Manager
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

It was ten years since my last stay in this hotel and I think that the ownership has changed in that time. The upkeep of the hotel, difficult due to the age and nature of the building, was better than I remember. The hotel has a very pleasant bar overlooking the English Channel, and a similarly situated breakfast room serving a very good and plentiful breakfast. Our bathroom on the top floor, had been recently refitted, but unfortunately the water pressure for the shower was somewhat lacking. The staff were friendly and helpful. We booked a standard room, but were given one with a sea view.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you to The Falmouth Hotel in the future. Kind regards, Wendy Parry - General Manager