“An old and grand hotel”
Review of The Falmouth Hotel

The Falmouth Hotel
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Overall our experience at the Falmouth Hotel was excellent. We had a standard room on the first floor that was not sea facing but had a lovely balcony on the side of the building from which the coast line could be admired. Since we had not expected this it was a very welcome surprise, especially so as there was a roof over the balcony, which made it possible to sit outside even in the rather drizzly weather of the bank holiday weekend.

The room itself was very nice and clean. It was not one of the refurbished ones, but everything was in good condition and we felt very comfortable in it. The bathroom as a very good size and also very clean except for a pipe on the radiator which seemed to have an oily substance on it, which I presume may have leaked from the radiator itself. However, as this was very close to the bottom of the radiator and did not cause us any discomfort we did not bother to mention it to reception.

The rest of the hotel also seemed very clean and overall very nicely decorated. The dining room however could do with a bit of updating as it seems a little bar, especially compared to the rest of the hotel.

Quite a few people on this site seem to have complained about the breakfast served in the hotel or rather the service. We had no such problems and were always served promptly and never had to wait for more than a few minutes. The food is varied and tasted excellent. Dinner was an equally pleasing experience and I would happily recommend the hotel restaurant to other guests.

The location of the hotel is priceless and the beach is literally just a stone's throw away. The proximity of the train station was also a big plus for us. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms come with a balcony!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Lovely grand exterior and entrance to the hotel. No problem with checking in. We had a room on the fourth floor with a seaview. The room had been tastefully decorated and clearly quite recently. Lovely spacious and clean bathroom. Room cleaned promptly everyday whilst we were at breakfast and tea tray replenished. HOWEVER, we stayed for breakfast during our 3 night stay and wished we hadnt. The cold buffet was good, fresh bread, pastries, cooked meats cheese, bit of fruit and cereals but the service was SO POOR. The staff if you could get their attention although they nearly outnumbered the number of guests were not at all attentive. We had to wait as other guests have suggested for about 20 minutes and finally having to ask staff if we could order at least hot beverages. Which was not met with approval by the staff and then finally ordering. Day 1: what a shock we ordered scrambled egg on toast; when it arrived it was ONE piece of toast with what looked like grey sick on top, literally a runny kind of slightly lumpy spoon of something. We had never seen anything like it. The fact that breakfast is served on very large dinner plates makes the portions seem even more miniscule. The next day we ordered cooked breakfast and decided to go for poached egg instead with mushrooms, what a surprise the egg was ok but there was ONE mushroom! The portion sizes are only just acceptable for a toddler and the fact that breakfast is charged at £15 a head is quite ludicrous. If the service had been better then we wouldnt have minded. The coffee which was in a cafefiettere only filled one and half small cups which was not really enough when you were sitting in the dining room for at least and hour plus. We didnt feel or indeed were never asked if we wanted any refills. Tables were never cleared either during breakfast which made you feel uncomfortable as the table got full quickly. If we stayed again we would definately pick room only and would not recommend anyone staying for breakfast. We didnt try any other meals or the bar based on our experiences of the breakfast. We cant fault the room or the hotel itself it was only the food and the staff which let it down. The only other BIG issue we had was on checkout when we were given the bill and realised we had been charged £30 more for the middle night. Which meant that two nights were £139 and one night £169! none of these nights were weekend or bank holidays. When we queried this we were told that it was because the hotel was busier on that night, WHAT! the hotel had had a coach load of people on the third night and that was only charged at £139. Overall we feel that the hotel is dramatically let down by its lack of personal service and genuine attentiveness which should have been possible considering the price we paid and also that fact that the dining room was never full when we visited. Please only consider staying if you have a small appetite and if not stay room only.

Room Tip: Try and pick a room with a sea view. We had room on fourth floor which was newly decorated and had...
4  Thank S C
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We returned home at the beginning of August after enjoying our third break at The Falmouth in sixteen months. With delightful sea views and blissful weather, we didn’t let some of the comments made in this review spoil the occasion. So with TripAdvisor reviews varying from ‘Dreadful’ to ‘Brilliant’, my second review has been written after a great deal of thought.

The hotel enjoys one of the most enviable locations in Falmouth, with a wide lawn fronted by a quiet road, and beyond, enchanting sea views. All the sea view rooms share the night- time spectacle of lights from anchored ships casting a magical quality across the water.

On the subject of management, I wrote a letter to Mrs. Wendy Parry the General Manager making a number of comments. Mr. David Leggett the Operations manager contacted me advising me that Wendy was no longer at The Falmouth, and that he was acting General Manager. For whatever reason, two General Managers have left the hotel in the past five months. Mr. Ben Young the Regional Manager has also left since I made contact with him last year.

Mr. Leggett was advised that I consider their new facility to allow diners to cut their own (what they call artisan) crusty bread is both a hygiene and safety issue. Placing napkins alongside the bread is a fine gesture, but I notice some diners ignoring the offer. Unfortunately, some people’s idea of hand cleansing after toilet duties, leave a lot to be desired. It only takes one infected person to cause an outbreak of Norovirus in the hotel. A Country Park in Devon was closed recently due to such an outbreak.
The use of the knife is another safety issue. Standing behind a lady, I winced at the way (without the crumpled napkin) she attacked the loaf. Furthermore, the child of an irresponsible parent could stroll over and use the knife. Mr. Leggett assured me they would never allow a child to do this. However, as this requires someone in authority, and constantly vigilant, to decide when the youngster is old enough to use a knife, I remain unconvinced that this degree of commitment would be provided… I was concerned to learn this facility has been adopted across The Richardson Group.
My wife reminded me of the mini crusty loaves we enjoyed many years ago baked by the chef at a hotel in Boscastle. A similar provision to replace cutting of bread would remove this risk.

In the evening, the chef’s creations were a delight. Unfortunately, the menus having a £29.95 allowance for guests on a DBB basis had many supplements.
One occasion, ignoring the vegetarian option, you only had the choice of Chicken Breast, or Loin of Hake without incurring a supplement. The Rump of Lamb had a supplement of £4, The Wild Sea Bass £9, and The Char Grilled Cornish Fillet Steak £15. Most people love a good steak; so taking the most expensive option a couple would be charged £59.90 for the basic meal, and a £30 supplement for the steak. Add in one of the cheaper bottles of wine at £19.95, and you have a grand total of £109.85. If you go wild, starter supplements of £2 for the Maple Roasted Pork Belly or Chilled Gazpachio would bring the total to £113.85. Apart from the two nights when the German coach party was in residence, very few guests took advantage of the restaurant, either choosing a bar meal, or presumably eating out. I was advised, to provide more choice you could consider the bar menu, but I feel this isn’t the answer to the problem.

One evening, I reported a couple of dozen dead flies scattered on the left hand window ledge in the restaurant. I could see more on the next window ledge. At breakfast the following morning, they were still there prompting me to reiterate my complaint. On this occasion before their removal, the waiter clearing the adjacent table ready for lunch placed the sugar bowl and salt and pepper cellars among them.

A number of complaints have been made about the time taken to serve breakfast.
A gentleman sharing the toaster with me commented that most of the waiters serving breakfast whilst young and enthusiastic lacked sufficient training to operate efficiently. On that occasion, our order was served promptly. The following day, the restaurant wasn’t busy as the German touring group had left; our Full English arrived 30 minutes after our order had been taken. On our last morning, the coffee arrived (after prompting a waiter) 10 minutes after our breakfast. Five minutes later another pot of coffee (we assume this was the one we’d originally ordered) arrived.

Many comments, and promises, have been made in the past 15 months about a maintenance and refurbishment programme. The most dramatic improvement I noted on this visit was the new staircase carpet. With its position as the main fire escape, the old carpet with its patches of grey tape (the subject of many comments in early reviews) was in desperate need of replacement. Another, a corridor between the restaurant and the kitchen whilst providing a new route to the annex, doesn’t ease the ongoing maintenance issues.

When you approach the restaurant along the lovely 150-year-old mosaic tiled hall, you expect its pièce de resistance, the sea view, to be presented with some finesse. You are faced with a depressingly decorated wall with windows boasting swags and tails, but no curtains. Our delightful room 311, with its exquisite swags tails and curtains demonstrates what could be achieved. The carpet in the corridor from the lift to our room (I assume it mirrors the other floors) is in a dreadful state, the decoration depressing and the lighting poor. Obviously, I cannot comment on individual bedrooms, but I could go on…I fear that The Falmouth, this lovely old lady, might suffer the same fate as a hotel in my town. The hotel has sea views that rival The Falmouth, with five beaches (one a well respected surfing rendezvous) and three golf courses, including The Royal Porthcawl, all close by. Alas, it now hosts two or three coach loads of guests.

Yes, we will consider another visit to The Falmouth…when future reviews confirm that long overdue improvements have been made.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wayne089
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Tired and in need of upgrading, this disappointing hotel lacked charm, decent service and facilities. I was put in one of the hotels apartments. It was very dated and the bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen! Damaged furniture, paper stuffed around pipes behind the bathroom sink and a plastic shower curtain... need I go on. Whilst the staff were friendly, I was very disappointed to arrive at breakfast at 9.30am to be told they had stopped serving and started to 'clean down' the kitchen. Some tea was offered, and toast, that you have to toast yourself. Overall the building is shabby and in need of repair and redecoration. Finding it difficult to find a positive, at least the bed was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jaime10
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My event was for 34 guests, 7 of which were children. We were allocated the Terrace Room and it was a perfect location with a beautiful view of the sea and Pendennis Castle and a large lawn for the children to play on. The staff beforehand were very helpful carrying all the flowers and decorations into the room. The buffet was ample and tasty and one of the greatest hits was the mini fish chips. At all times the staff were attentive and even helped clear up and take things back to the car. I was very pleased with the event. Well done Falmouth Hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank clareholmes24
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Two night stay for my wife and I, check in went well although my reserved parking space was taken by another guest, which took a little while to resolve. The hotel décor is very very tired indeed and is in desperate need of a revamp. Our room was dirty and all the plastic veneer on the drawer units were peeling off and lumpy. Windows absolutely filthy with cobwebs around light fittings and curtains etc.
Breakfast morning 1, Staff were pleasant and we were shown to our table which was by the window overlooking the seafront. Again window filthy and drapes full of dust and cobwebs with crumbs all over the window sills from previous diners. Food OK though.
Breakfast 2, Were again met with pleasant staff and taken to our table, and here is where it all went seriously wrong. I counted 7 serving staff and 6 tables with people on them yet we had to wait nearly 20 minutes before we were asked if we wanted tea/coffee and have our breakfast order taken. ONE whole hour later we were still waiting for our breakfast to arrive and now there were14 occupied tables whom seemed to be getting a quicker service. After speaking to the manager 3 times our cooked breakfasts finally arrived. My wife ordered the vegetarian option only to be given bacon and sausages.. OMG !!!..Managers reason for this was "we did not expect the dinning room to be this busy this morning and the kitchen is overwhelmed" Hello you are a hotel and people have to book in advance so yes you did know how many guests you had coming it was just poor management. Still 7 floor staff and still only 14 tables occupied. Eventually we cancelled breakfast as did other guests around us .We went down for breakfast at 8.55 and left at 10:40 over one and a half hours and still have nothing. This is a Richardson owned hotel and they really do need to invest in training for all their staff ,it was absolutely shocking.
This was maybe once a nice hotel when it was built in the 1800's but definitely not now. 200 meters up the road you have the Merchant Manor hotel which we stayed at a couple of months ago and was perfect, so if you want a relaxing stay in Falmouth book there if you can... Avoid at all costs this drab dreary poorly managed hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
3  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from a short stay at the Falmouth hotel with our two adult daughters. The hotel itself is beautiful with lots of character. We paid extra for a sea view but wish we hadn't as we discovered our daughters room was one of the recently refurbished rooms and was soooooo much nicer than ours! Having said that, our bed was very comfortable and room was large and clean. However, management, please change the pillows - they are awful! Breakfast was okay, have had better. As a previous customer stated breakfast is a bit chaotic. I totally agree. Although the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, there just doesn't seem to be enough of them. We were served by several different waiters during breakfast. Nobody covering one particular area it appears. We also ate in the bar and the food was very nice, but a bit pricey. There was a wedding party going on whilst we were there and there was a lot of noise on our floor in the early hours. This is not the hotels fault I know but why couldn't the wedding party be given rooms close to each other and not next to other guests who are not in any way related to the wedding party.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends