“Fantastic place to stay - frineldy, welcoming & serves a fantastic breakfast!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Falmouth
Gold Martin Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #39 of 83 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Windsor
“Fantastic place to stay - frineldy, welcoming & serves a fantastic breakfast!”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We stayed at Gold Martin for 2 nights while we visited friends who were holidaying in the area.The hosts Clare & Allen couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful during our stay.We had a double room and a single for our teenage son - both of which were spotlessly clean and comfortable.Breakfast was superb , especially the poached eggs!! I would definitely recommend this B & B , and while you are there check out the fantastic cards and paintings produced by Clare which are offered for sale.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 May 2010

If you need a well-run, friendly and comfortable stop-over, with an excellent breakfast, then we recommend the Gold Martin.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul_g_haywood
yorkshire
Reviewed 19 December 2009

Whilst touring Cornwall at the end of August we arrived in Mawnan Smith.The local pub recommended Gold Martin. They knew some guests attending a wedding had been asked to leave due to unacceptable behaviour and they might therefore have a vacancy. We only intended to stay one night but remained for three in this superb B&B; the best of our holiday. The rooms are lovely, spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished. The hosts treated us like family.They sent us to all the local beauty spots in this stunning area and recommended great places to eat ; The Red Lion pub, The Cove and Guiseppes. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfast at Gold Martin is memorable for the choices other than the usual full english that we were rather fed up with being offered every where else we stayed. The ham, tomato and melted brie topped with a poached egg all served on homemade cheese and bacon bread is to die for! Closely followed by the savoury croissants. Homemade jams and marmalade completed a perfect start to the day. A B&B not to be missed and situated in one of the most beautiful parts of Cornwall that we'd not visited before. We hope to come back and explore some more.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank allanjones
London
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I stayed at Gold Martin B&B while visiting Cornwall for a family wedding and gathering. My mother booked 3 rooms - one for myself and my partner, one for herself, and a twin for my brothers. It did not cross her mind when booking that she had to mention the purpose of the trip. This clearly irritated the owners from the outset of our visit - apparently they had had a bad experience with a group accepting wedding guests in the past. As a result they were incredibly rude and unwelcoming throughout our stay despite the fact that we are a respectful, well behaved, family. On arrival my brother offered his hand and name as way of an introduction to Clare who simply replied with "and this is the other one is it?" referring to my other brother. Charming! She then proceeded to follow them into their bedroom and lecture them about how much they could drink at the wedding. My younger brother was unwell and taking medication and therefore not drinking the entire week end.

We had to tell the owners what we wanted for breakfast the previous day. Difficult when you have not yet eaten your lunch! The excuse given was that due to an apparently extensive (in reality an English breakfast and variations of) menu, items had to be unfrozen. All this excuse did was show that produce was not fresh, something that those who ate the sausages confirmed. The menu states in a friendly manner that breakfast is served between 8 and 9 but that other times could be arranged. So I asked if 9.30 would be possible to be told - no! Clare later cited my behavior as unreasonable because I asked.

The morning of the wedding we politely mentioned that we would be using our rooms and that there was no need for them to be cleaned. As soon as we left the house, the owners went into our rooms and took photos. They had no excuse other than to snoop in the hope of finding something to complain about. My brother was later shouted at for leaving a pile of his clothes on the floor and a cup not sitting on a coaster, and I was targeted for not having made my bed! To our minds this is an absolutely unacceptable way to treat paying guests - we were left totally shocked. When checking out Clare locked us in the house while she checked the rooms - another desperate attempt at finding fault with our party. When she returned I asked if there were any problems with the way the rooms had been left - there was not. Rather than an apology, she continued her rant and resorted to putting on a mocking accent and calling us 'hooray henrys". Highly professional and mature!

My review could continue for pages but I shall conclude in saying that the owners of this B&B are incredibly rude and unwelcoming. They watched our every move and made us feel uncomfortable throughout our stay despite that fact that we were polite and respectful towards them and their property. I am sorry that they had had a bad experience in the past but this is absolutely no grounds to assume that we would behave in the same way. They ruined what would otherwise have been a pleasant and relaxing family week end away.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank annaclaire01
Bristol, England
Reviewed 13 June 2007

We were travelling round Cornwall and wanted a place to stay for the night in Mawnan Smith, a couple of miles from Falmouth, as we knew it was a great base for exploring the pretty creeks of the Helford Estuary, some good walks on the South West Coast Path and also Glendurgan and Trebah Gardens. There are also two good places to eat in Mawnan Smith, the village inn and an Italian restaurant. Gold Martin was perfect as it was only a couple of minutes walk from the centre of the village and Claire and Allan were the perfect hosts. Our room was very comfortable with a king sized bed (the best all week!) and a delicious breakfast was served in the conservatory. I wanted porridge and Claire cooked it to my exact specifications.

We would definitely stay there again.