“Traditional B&B”

Engleton Guest House
Ranked #72 of 82 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2013

If you want 'corporate brushed stainless' steel and decor perfection better book a Premier Inn. If you want a VERY reasonably priced tradional English B&B, a warm welcome and an excellent massive cooked breakfast in a central Falmouth location close to the pubs, shops, ferries and railway, along with free Wi-Fi then book this.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank R J C

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This B&B was perfect for me as I was staying for an activities week at the college opposite the Castleton & Engleton. My room was extremely pleasant with a modern TV, large wardrobe, Tea making facilities & clean en suite bathroom. The room was very small but as I was on my own it made me feel more comfortable. As other reviews have stated the breakfast had an incredible selection from a full English to cereal, fresh fruit & yoghurts. The only fault if anything was that it was difficult to get hold a member of staff on arrival. For future guests (don't panic) if staying at the Castleton try ringing the bell on the Engleton & if all else fails there is a mobile number to call on the door. Overall, my stay was extremely comfortable and my room was always kept clean.

Room Tip: Try and get an en-suite as I was very grateful for my clean modern bathroom in my room :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emily D
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend only stayed one night here but it was very good. We had a room on the top floor, which had a shared bathroom but it was all extremely clean so it was fine. Rooms were nice, just what you need but nothing special. Good night sleep on comfy beds. If you're taller than 5'8 you might want to ask for a room on a lower floor to to the ceilings on the stairs. Breakfast was very nice and a good selection for a b&b. Great location, right on the edge of town but still rather quiet. If you're looking for something simple then this can't disappoint. Shame about the price but its the same everywhere for peak season.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kirsty B
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Travelling around Cornwall with some friends over Easter weekend and we booked a night in Falmouth at the Castleton & Engleton. I agree with other reviewers that the decor is outdated, but it is clean, comfortable & the staff is helpful & attentive. When we checked in we were shown to our room (triple) and given several recommendations for dinner, all just a short walk down to the high street.

As other reviewers have said - breakfast was incredible. We had the choice of a full English which we'd expected, or 3 different "specials" which we didn't expect. We all stuck with the traditional English and were not disappointed. There was even a lovely basket of chocolate eggs for Easter - and who doesn't love desert with breakfast.

All in all a wonderful stay & really delightful staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sher71
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is a lovely B'n'B, very good value for money, in a very convenient location. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic but spotlessly clean and perfectly comfortable. The breakfast was - as several reviewers have commented - superb.
I'd have no hesitation about staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Gail E
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

This is a fantastic Bed & Breakfast and great value for money. They put on the kind of breakfast that keeps you going all day. If you're expecting 5 star then look elsewhere but if you want a good friendly base with a good clean room to sleep in and a fairly decent shower, all for a great price, you can't go wrong with Castleton & Engleton.

We've stayed here a few times including booking my husbands family in for our wedding in June. We were accommodated and everyone was happy with their room. We plan to continue to use this fantastic little B&B for future visits.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Esta I
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Very nasty hotel. Had to cancel at short notice because of floods. The owner would not compromise. We even offered to pay half and she refused. Do not stay there, very unfriendly owner, greedy and rude.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 361Christinew
demmer186235, Owner at Engleton Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Please Read as this is the correct version of events!
This person booked 2 rooms via booking.com(which clearly states the cancellations policy of 14 days notice) for 24th & 25th December. During the lead up to Xmas, I had to turn away others, as we were indeed full. The guest called to cancel with little more than 24 hours notice of their arrival date. My manner on the phone and later on email was nothing but curteous, professional and infact helpful. The comments of being rude and greedy are totally untrue and mearly reflect how they are as individuals to feel the need to try and assasinate my character. One comment that was ommitted from her review was her threat to me that if I did not refund her, she would write a review on Trip Advisor. Dispite this & dispite the cancellation policy, I did say that I would try and resell the rooms & if that was the case I would refund every day I could resell. I said that it was unlikely as the day before Xmas & unfortunately I had no enquiries.

We are a small and friendly B&B with a large percentage of repeat customers. We do take all comments (good & bad) on board & if we are at fault or can improve, we will use these comments to make changes. Sladereous, inaccurate comments such as these left by people who have not even stayed are of no help to anyone. I welcome anyone to contact me or any member of staff & thank you for taking the time to read this.