“Afternoon Tea at the Greenbank”

Harbourside Restaurant
Ranked #127 of 226 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$9 - US$38
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ceglie Messapica, Italy
“Afternoon Tea at the Greenbank”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Greenbank prides itself on it's Harbourside Restaurant, awarded AA 2 Rosettes. I was overjoyed to see their fabulous afternoon tea menu, with beautiful cake stands packed with freshly cut sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, cakes, fudge and all manner of delights- perfect for our family celebration, with 4 generations gathering for the 92nd and 91st birthdays of my parents. They had first holidayed in the Greenbank in 1949, for their honeymoon, and then taken me on many family holidays there throughout the 1960s and 70s. My parents were overjoyed as the secret destination was revealed last Sunday afternoon, and they sat at the large table overlooking the estuary with their daughter, granddaughters our partners, and their 2 year old great grandson!! We were greater with care and attention, but sadly, things went downhill from there, in the service department. The restaurant was far from busy, but our simple order of 2 sharing platters of " Greenbank tea" and 1 of "Chocoholics Delight" and 1 tea for a toddler, took 45 minutes to start to arrive!! We had booked for 3.30, but were not all able to savour the delights of our scones till an hour later. My father has never been one to wait patiently, and this was an enormous event for him, as he is too frail to leave the house now under normal circumstances...I held my breath and prayed that food would start to arrive. To be fair, the quality of the tea was excellent, all fresh, fabulous quantities, but the wait? Could the kitchen really be that busy? The main problem seemed to be that no one of the staff tool us under their wing, they milled around, and at least 3 different waiters tried to deal with our table...with the inevitable result. Coffees arrived late, or not at all, Charlie at 2 drank all his milk within a millisecond, with no more being offered and no food arriving, teapots were not refilled, water arrived without glasses, butter had to be requested for the scones (my parents not believing in the cream and jam only option), but had to be melted in the kitchen as it was straight from the fridge and arrived in molten form. All in all, the family celebration was a success, as we were all together in a beautiful location, but I began to wish my parents had honeymooned in a different hotel in Falmouth, one where the service was still as it used to be and as my parents remembered. And, just a final thought, perhaps some little token of celebration of my parents' birthdays from the hotel (a sparkler, a candle?) would not have gone amiss, especially as I pointed out the celebration and my parents history with the hotel on booking, and again on arrival. Frankly, there is no excuse for such dismally poor service in a modern hotel with "Luxury 4 Star" rating...perhaps at Faulty Towers, but the Greenbank, Falmouth? The only stars I can give are for food quality, sorry!

3 Thank AnnieCocuzzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Very bad afternoon tea !!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After looking forward to a lovely afternoon tea for my wife's 40th birthday along with my 2 children we were left very disappointed with the out come. We had been online and checked out the menu and also checked out the menu boards before entering the hotel. Making our minds up was easy until we came across a very grumpy, disinterested uninformed waitress. We asked for a savoury afternoon tea for my wife and I but we're told that it was not on the menu anymore? Puzzled she went and asked the chef who said no! What to have now....... Well we asked the waitress what cakes were available only to be told " what ever the chef has left" what a con. As my children were equally excited to be there we ordered them a sharing child's afternoon tea me a cream tea and the birthday girl a cup of tea. Well when it came it was a terrible let down dry undecorated bun dry scones and very bland white bread ham sandwiches. Because the waitress was totally not interested in us as customers she didn't ask dietary needs or if we wanted brown or white bread. Also looking at the other tables set in the restaurant with lovely linen napkins where was ours? Tissue napkins....! Also the toilets were not of standard you would of expected. Very poor Greenbank. For the money we paid your local tea shop could have done a better job. Definitely not 4Star!

2 Thank Shaun N
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The Greenbank Hotel have a wonderful restaurant overlooking Falmouth Harbour. It sits feet from the waters edge and the views are worth the visit even before you taste the food.
On a Sunday lunchtime they have a special offer called the Snoozy Boozy Sunday Lunch. If there are four if you and you have the three course menu the bill is £80 for the four and that includes two bottles of wine.
We went to the bar before our meal and enjoyed a drink overlooking Falmouth and the Harbour. The sun was pouring in through the vast windows and we were sat on wonderfully comfy leather sofas. After taking our menu choices we were escorted to our front row table. Three of us had chosen the crayfish salad starter and one the local Fal estuary mussels. All beautifully presented and delicious to taste.
As with the choice of starter it was difficult to chose our main courses sounded great. As it was Sunday three of us ordered the slow cooked roast beef and one the roast chicken. Again we were not disappointed. The beef was succulent and cooked to perfection even for those that liked it a little rare. It melted in our mouths and was accompanied with crisp but perfectly cooked vegetables.
For desert again it was so difficult to choose. Three had a chocolate tart with ice cream and I had a selection of Cornish cheeses. My description does do the meal justice. Each course was a picture and each mouthful was exquisite. The other thing tat I must mention was the super staff. They were gracious, welcoming and very professional. We were having a wonderful time chatting with our friends and we never felt disturbed as we were being cared for and it was great touches like being asked to turn over our desert menus when we were ready to order, when we mentioned that we would like to take a break before ordering the next course.
So to sum up. Great location, sun shining, superb food and wonderful staff, lovely company. What else do you need on a Sunday. Oh yes, walking the dogs later!

• Visited February 2014
Shetland Islands, United Kingdom
“Not at all tasty”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Some tiny portions and very little of our three course meal (and amuse bouche and pre-dessert) tasted good. The lamb starter and pork main were tiny portions. My brill main course was meant to be served in a crispy potato covering. It was pale and flaccid; not crispy and golden. The sticky toffee pudding sponge was inferior tasting and the clotted cream was not on the plate. The table next to us were unhappy with their desserts too. On a brighter note, the male serving staff were very professional and attentive. Disappointed as we had looked forward to this. We felt too embarrassed to complain and preferred to just leave.

2 Thank banana3000
Truro
“Poor food and service at the Greenbank Hotel”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

My family thought that we would celebrate my mothers 80th Birthday at the hotels restaurant on the 5 Nov13. The 5 adults and 2 teenagers all had a starter and a main course, a bottle of wine and 5 pints of coke (the coke alone cost £16). We all thought that the food was cold and the starters were very small but thought that the main course would make up for it (how wrong we were). Again the main courses were all cold and portion size was that small it was discussing. The bill was £241 and we all left hungry. Because it was my mothers 80th Birthday it was not the time to complain so instead I wrote a letter explaining my disappointment with the meal and price. Some 13 weeks later they have not had the decency to reply. So we got ripped off with the food and the management of the Greenbank could not even be bothered to reply to a customers dissatisfaction. We have used the Greenbank for some 30 years and will not be using it again and will not be recommending it to anyone.

3 Thank Jeremy L